Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is dacentec good dedicated provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is dacentec good dedicated provider?

I'm looking for a cheap dedicated server and found them having $40 and I'm interested but I don't know much about them.

I would like to ask you guys an advice or comments regarding their service if anyone tried them.
I read some not so nice comments but those are old.

Anyone tried them this 2019?

Should I get one from them or stay away?
Are they legit?

Comments

• donlidonli Member
    edited November 2019

I used to have a VPS with them (before they discontinued that offering).

They are where old reliable servers go to live out their remaining lives.

Even when they have a problem people still seem to like them, see:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3035823

Thanked by 1team_traitor
  • They are legit, I've had servers with them in the past. As mentioned, they are usually retired servers and somewhat on the older side. However, they are cheap, based in the USA and often there are some nice storage bonuses.

Just don't have unrealistic expectations and you'll have a good experience.

Thanked by 1team_traitor
  • w_ho_amiw_ho_ami Member
    edited November 2019

I placed an order with them recently and canceled it later. The main reason is that the provided system templates are too old (ubuntu 14.04). They do provide the ipmi but it's kinda hard to use so I canceled it eventually. Their support is great though, quick response and helpful.

Thanked by 1team_traitor
  • I'm thinking of getting one and use it as backup server only for our uploads and db's . Since they have a few of down times according to some thread, it is not really good for us to make this production server. thank you for your comments.

• team_traitorteam_traitor Member
    edited November 2019

BTW. Do you know other dedicated provider which is cheaper and reliable? We already have colo and limestone but I'm looking for other provider. I can't put all my eggs in few baskets.

Can you recommend other providers? Thanks in advance.

• As long as you have realistic expectations, they are fine. There are people who sign up for cheap dedis that are basically retired servers and then come here to post about the disks having like power-on hours of 70,000.

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited November 2019

@jeorlie said:
    BTW. Do you know other dedicated provider which is cheaper and reliable? We already have colo and limestone but I'm looking for other provider. I can't put all my eggs in few baskets.

I would recommend these dedicated servers (aff) from a reputable provider, SmartHost. They have my superior potassium seal of quality :)

My advice, increase your budget a little bit and you'll get away from the bottom-of-the-barrel servers and into the good stuff, IMO.

Thanked by 1team_traitor
  • @dahartigan said:

@jeorlie said:

I would recommend these dedicated servers (aff) from a reputable provider. They have my superior potassium seal of quality :)

My advice, increase your budget a little bit and you'll get away from the bottom-of-the-barrel servers and into the good stuff, IMO.

Oh, SmartHost. This is my seal of approval.

• Support is good for the price and network is good. Just hardware is old and not much upgrade option available.

Many people still love them though. I only canceled the last one with them few months ago.

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

dacntec were good on pricing and network wise

all the maintenance were informed early and good care taken. i recommend them

• Stick with @dacentec, have many a server there and no problems at all. Even have a rent to own option which is cool. I colo quite a bit there through that program over the years. The staff reply promptly and are very knowledgeable, even when you have a stupid moment.

Scale of 1 to 10 I give them a 9.5. I rarely will give out a ten so take it as you will.

• Probably the best support experience I’ve ever had is was Dacentec, but endorsement does need to be tempered by the fact that they’re also the only provider where I’ve needed so much support - with 90% of my providers, I’ve never so much as raised a ticket.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2019

I'd also recommend to give them a try. Some things might be a little bit "old school" - but in my opinion if it is actually good, I do not need super fancy modern stuff.

If you know how to boot an iPXE Floppy through an old Spider KVM to load a Debian netinstaller via TFTP, nothing's gonna stop you. :)

Their support is really awesome. I always received technically skilled answers within hours or even minutes.

Network was great too. I had some maintenance works with planned downtimes in the past, but everything was well prepared and announced.

TL;DR: I'll give them my personal
    seal of quality

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • myvpshostorgmyvpshostorg Member
    edited November 2019

@jeorlie said:

If you really want to have good provider you can find some of them. However you can find some plans here too.

How about No? /Removed Link too.

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited November 2019

@myvpshostorg said:

@jeorlie said:

If you really want to have good provider you can find some of them. However you can find some plans here too

Your site made me cry. It's so touching. Thanks

WHO ARE WE?
    We are the minds of makers of those dedicated services which keep on mining the most affordable and perfect hosting solutions to meet your unique needs. We foster your platform, we nurture your freedom and in doing so, we cultivate just one thing and that is your confidence for us.

Our Team Members
    Our employees are equipped with a high degree of qualified standards and their technical abilities and supportive affinities will leave you mesmerized

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @ITLabs said:

Our Team Members
    Our employees are equipped with a high degree of qualified standards and their technical abilities and supportive affinities will leave you mesmerized

I love affinities!!

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I've had my backup server with them for two years now. Solid provider with great support staff and fair pricing for what they offer. Really have no complaints.

Thanked by 1team_traitor
  • EThomasEThomas Member
    edited November 2019

I've been a customer of theirs for almost a year (got my dedicated server black Friday 2018). Never had a problem. Contacted support once about an issue and they were as helpful as they could be (the deal I got on the server did not come with support). As others have said, their server hardware is old and I get lots of maintenance alerts. But so far I think their products are quality.

Thanked by 1team_traitor
  • They have great support and never had issues when I had a dedi with them.

• I hear they are good.

@poisson said:

@dahartigan said:

@jeorlie said:

I would recommend these dedicated servers (aff) from a reputable provider. They have my superior potassium seal of quality :)

Oh, SmartHost. This is my seal of approval.

What's with all the potassium memes?

• We had a talk with my senior dev and he said to try one machine in dacentec. our current storage is expensive and yeah only for storage so getting one from dacentec will save much.