Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planning on starting VPS business
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Planning on starting VPS business

dhamaniasaddhamaniasad Member
edited November 2013 in Help

I am planning on starting a VPS business, and I'd like people's insight on quite a few things before I set my decision in stone.
Currently, I am running a free VPS service, and that gives me a little experience, though that's a bit problematic due to me trying to keep it light on my pocket. But anyways.
I currently have a monthly leased(branded) WHMCS licensed, and a dedicated server that I won't be touching for this business. As I don't have extensive knowledge of how VPS providers work, I thought I'd ask for advice.
I will be using WHMCS for this, so that's not a problem.

1) What VPS control panel should I use? I plan on offering only Xen or KVM, whichever would provide better performance and isolation. I've tried SolusVM and Virtualizor, but I didn't really like them. And there are not many other choices. I'm currently waiting for feathur to come out before making a decision, but anyways, how about OpenStack/CloudStack? And ProxMox VE? I want to use what the end users would find easier to use and more appealing.

2) What should I do at a startup stage? Buy hardware and colocate or rent servers?

3) If the answer is buying hardware, where should I get my hardware from? I can see a lot of cheap servers on eBay, but I'm paranoid about them. I don't think I'd use them for serious business unless someone else has positive experience with them. So which company? Servermicro/HP/Dell/etc? And where to get them from? Some preferable online store?

4) Where should I do my marketing(I am really bad at it)? Would LEB/LET/WHT suffice?

5) IPs. Where do I get them from? I don't think I'd get an assignment at this stage. Do most providers get their IP's from their colo providers? I would like my own assignment, in case I switch DCs in the future, as I wouldn't like to get all IPs changed.

6) If I rent servers, where should I rent them from keeping in mind the IPs? I'd not want to spend more on the IPs than the server themselves.

7) What node configurations should I be aiming at? I'm currently looking at Dual Quad Xeon's with 32+Gb RAM and 4x3TB HDDs in RAID10.

8) If I hire people, where should I hire them from? For example I'd need people from other countries.

I know some of these questions might have obvious answers, but I'm new to the market and want to provide quality service rather than a mess of a provider.

Also, if there are some other things that must be kept in mind, let me know.

Comments

• serverianserverian Member
    edited November 2013
    1. OpenVZ is faster
    2. Get a high memory and good disk setup server and colo it
    3. Supermicro, superbiiz
    4. Find a niche
    5. From your DC
    6. Get 64GB at least and 8 disk or 4 disk + 2 x ssd cache, 4 x sata wont give you any good io
    7. WHT, here, vpsboard

PM me your skype id if you have questions and need advice.

• hardly anyone does Xen and it's a damn shame

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

I read on VPSB a while back incero included free IP's on their servers, not sure if it's a special deal but you can inquire..

Or get something from colocrossing.. that's if your interested in being listed on LEB!

• Following @serverian's advice, I'm not worrying about this anymore. @Liam @Infinity please close this thread.