Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Running mailserver is hard man - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Running mailserver is hard man

2»

Comments

• edited November 2019

deank said: Yeah, most pay 3rd party to do mail delivery nowadays.
    Seriously not worth the extra headache.

Unless your mail/privacy is more important.
    Don't we all remember our politicians use private mail server?

There are reasons why mail setup are hard (intentional and for legacy reasons) and big company can offer cheap mail services.

They want intel. Some of mail providers are intelligent agency subsidized.
    You pay it with your privacy, and their thirst to "machine learn" you.

• I suggest learning more about DNS first. When setting up proper mail server, smtp server, relay , anit-spam, delivery , etc... You will find yourself that there are lots of DNS related topics. DNS records are NOT just copy paste of some text (eg. spf, mx, txt).

Once you are comfortable on how the DNS works and gained more knowledge about what are those DNS record types and what to put in those records, then go back on trying to setup a mail server.

IMHO.

• @sanvit said: AFAIK pointing MX record to an IP address should technically work, but never done it.

It would go against the specification (RFC), and so most registrars won't allow one to set an MX record to an IP address.

The idea is that an MX record points to a host (hostname), which allows for the case where the host is reachable over more than one IP address.

• greattomeetyou said: There are reasons why mail setup are hard (intentional and for legacy reasons)

I doubt they made it intentionally hard. Mail server setup is no more complicated than HTTP server setup. HTTP has even more complicated security headers. It's just that we don't spend even fraction of a time configuring mail we spend configuring HTTP servers.

greattomeetyou said: You pay it with your privacy, and their thirst to "machine learn" you.

AFAIK you can't even force encryption for your personal SMTP server:

A publicly-referenced SMTP server MUST NOT require use of the
    STARTTLS extension in order to deliver mail locally. This rule
    prevents the STARTTLS extension from damaging the interoperability of
    the Internet's SMTP infrastructure.

From RFC 2487

• i use mailcow on a vps with a clean IP (@hetzner) works like a charm. if ur really worried about deliverability u can use any of the services that can relay (aws is cheap i hear)

Thanked by 2alilet Hetzner_OL
  • yandex pdd

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@SirFoxy said:
    Calculate the time spent vs paying Google $5 for incredible spam filters & delivery.

Nah.

MXRoute with @jar feels better.

• mailcow + SES only for problematic destinations (w/ mx @ Microsoft and little else. Needs manually setup and maintenance)

• Network is fast, server is hard, my man!

Thanked by 1default
  • isunbejoisunbejo Member
    edited November 2019

I used Zimbra collaboration for almost two years, now I migrate to gsuite, and enjoy life more, not thinking about anti-spam maintenance, IP cleaning, PTR, SPF, DKIM, and other nonsense like headaches.

If you don't need collaboration facilities, use an email provider, give your headaches to him, you just give a few dollars, that's enough.

but if only need up to 5 users, use a free mail service such as zoho mail, of course, with limited features, just web email with custom domain.

Life is beautiful my man!