Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Control panel for a storage server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Control panel for a storage server?

Looking for an easy way to manage multiple users on a "storage" server. Found Hetzners storage boxes easy to manage, good price and supports many protocols. However, limited to 10 concurrent users which is a bit risky if all users(applications) like to do the backup at the same time.

Are there any alternative hosts offering a control panel like Hetzner Storage Boxes (BX10 and up)? Or are there any control panels that can be installed to a dedicated server?

Looking to support protocols such as SFTP, SCP, BorgBackup, RSYNC, S3-compatible object storage (like MINIO). Don't need all of them, but as many as possible is nice.

It will be used to backup servers and applications so that's why the different protocols are needed, but not all required.

Heard of https://min.io/ and of course NextCloud. However last time I checked both of these had their limitations. Min.IO had limited authentication for multiple users and NextCloud didn't support many protocols outside HTTP(s).

Any good suggestions or recommendations for me to check out?

Comments

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Minio does have it's limitations when it comes to multiple uses. But we just spin up another instance on the same server if we need to segment files and users access. It works well for us and doesn't come with much overhead.

• @IcyYak said:
    Heard of https://min.io/ and of course NextCloud. However last time I checked both of these had their limitations. Min.IO had limited authentication for multiple users and NextCloud didn't support many protocols outside HTTP(s).

Exactly what protocols do you require?

• FreeNas if you can install your own iso :)

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

@seriesn said:
    FreeNas if you can install your own iso :)

Yeah, FreeNAS does exactly what you're looking to do.

edited November 2019

I've never used FreeNAS, I've been using xpenology which has been fantastic. I will try FreeNAS one day.

• Thanks for the pointers. Will look into FreeNAS and xpenology (do have a synology NAS at home which I like).

Not really any specific requirements as most of my apps/servers can be customized to support the different protocols I listed. Just want an easy way to create the users and setup the storage space and then try to work from there.

@IcyYak said:
    Thanks for the pointers. Will look into FreeNAS and xpenology (do have a synology NAS at home which I like).

Not really any specific requirements as most of my apps/servers can be customized to support the different protocols I listed. Just want an easy way to create the users and setup the storage space and then try to work from there.

Xpenology is great, just follow the guides and it works just like a hardware synology NAS. I built my own home server and loaded that on. It has been working fine for me for about 8 months with no issues.