Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Migrating non-standard control panel to directadmin
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Migrating non-standard control panel to directadmin

I have an account with westhost , with a non-standard control panel
They will be closing the account, since they no longer support it.
I have some forums and mailing list installed, do you know of any shared hosting provider who can transfer migrate the websites to directadmin or other webhosting?
Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Can the mailing list be exported?
    Can you make dB backup?
    Can you backup your website contents ?

If the answer is yes, you most likely can switch to any DA/CPanel host.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Yes you can @niche. Some hosting providers will offer to do a transfer for you. But you can do it yourself. Like @seriesn has said.

Move files along with the DB, then move your emails if you have any.

• Pay @MikePT and get your migrations done.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @seriesn said:
    Can the mailing list be exported?
    Can you make dB backup?
    Can you backup your website contents ?

If the answer is yes, you most likely can switch to any DA/CPanel host.

Yup - it may be slower, "manual", but has proven (in my experience) to be the safest way.

Don't forget to edit directory paths as well, in case that gets changed (is different) on the new server.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@kkrajk said:
    Pay @MikePT and get your migrations done.

Thank you for the recommendation mate!

Can definitely do this. Takes time so I need to bill and usually not within LET prices rather per migration size and work involved. Its always a PITA.

• Migration is a simple task. However some hosting provider do migrations without any fees. You just have to find which provider does it free of cost.

• @myvpshostorg said:
    Migration is a simple task. However some hosting provider do migrations without any fees. You just have to find which provider does it free of cost.

In my experience, free migrations are usually from cPanel, or DirectAdmin, using automated tools for the job. Often with "best effort" policy (which, in my understanding means in case of problems, or complications, they won't waste much time and just give up).

Anything "exotic" is charged.

@MikePT is an experienced system admin, so I'd feel fine leaving it to them. However, I personally prefer doing things on my own, not having to rely on others. Hence, wrote the instructions for migrating a website (that uses a database), should work for most:
    website migration.

There, the basic concept and things that need to be edited are explained in detail. For peculiarities of migrating to DirectAdmin:
    cPanel to DirectAdmin website migration

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

If you are not comfortable doing the migration yourself, ask your host of preference for help. Many providers offer manual migration, upon request. It could be for a small fee or free depending on the complexity/size of the migration.

• @Francisco I think he offers free migration
    @MikePT is also providing paid services for migration

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • bikegremlin said: @MikePT is an experienced system admin

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@bikegremlin said:

@myvpshostorg said:
    Migration is a simple task. However some hosting provider do migrations without any fees. You just have to find which provider does it free of cost.

In my experience, free migrations are usually from cPanel, or DirectAdmin, using automated tools for the job. Often with "best effort" policy (which, in my understanding means in case of problems, or complications, they won't waste much time and just give up).

Anything "exotic" is charged.

@MikePT is an experienced system admin, so I'd feel fine leaving it to them. However, I personally prefer doing things on my own, not having to rely on others. Hence, wrote the instructions for migrating a website (that uses a database), should work for most:
    website migration.

There, the basic concept and things that need to be edited are explained in detail. For peculiarities of migrating to DirectAdmin:
    cPanel to DirectAdmin website migration

@jokymic said:
    @Francisco I think he offers free migration
    @MikePT is also providing paid services for migration

@cociu said:

bikegremlin said: @MikePT is an experienced system admin

Thank guys ❤️, imagine the pain migrating a bunch of accounts from 1and1... If I do those free of charge I would be bankrupt in a month... 😁

Thanked by 1bikegremlin