Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to check this on VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to check this on VPS?

I have had a shared hosting with this specifications . How can i check this on my VPS . I am complete noob with the VPS . thanks

this were my specifications :

concurrent connections :40
number of processes nPROC: 80
script executions 4000 hourly
average script execution time : 6
average daily CPU utilization 100%
inodes 500 000

I have bought 3,5 dollars vps from buyvm ( i have read that they are nice from you)

I have seen some benchmarks from you but i do not understand them and i do not know how to compare them with my past shared hosting .

Comments

• @ULM said: I am complete noob with the VPS

Congrats on your first post

So why did you get a VPS?

• @angstrom said:

@ULM said: I am complete noob with the VPS

it is cheaper than my shared hosting . I must learn lot of things but i do not have a ecommerce just my websites done for my hobbies. nothing important . May you help me , please ?

• @ULM said:

@angstrom said:

it is cheaper than my shared hosting . I must learn lot of things but i do not have a ecommerce just my websites done for my hobbies. nothing important . May you help me , please ?

Your best bet would be to try to install DirectAdmin on your VPS. I believe that BuyVM offer DirectAdmin for free with a VPS.

Otherwise, you need to learn to run an OS on a VPS. Starting a thread here isn't the solution.

Thanked by 1ULM
  • @angstrom said:

@ULM said:

@angstrom said:

Your best bet would be to try to install DirectAdmin on your VPS. I believe that BuyVM offer DirectAdmin for free with a VPS.

Otherwise, you need to learn to run an OS on a VPS. Starting a thread here isn't the solution.

thank you ! In fact i have learnt . i have install it centos and centminmod ( i have read the blogs and your comments so i have tried it ) How can i compare my vps with my previous shared hosting ? Running a benchmark ? I am lost with it. I have some basic idea about ssh but just that . Level 0 of things like that you are at level 1000 . Just learning do not take me in the bad way.

• df -i will show you the number of inodes

First learn about how to use CentOS and Centmin Mod. No need to run benchmarks at this point

Thanked by 2uptime ULM
  • @angstrom said:
    df -i will show you the number of inodes

First learn about how to use CentOS and Centmin Mod. No need to run benchmarks at this point

thank you ! Which books do you recommend for centos , LEMP; cecntminmod ? Anything from amazon ?

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited November 2019

@ULM said:

@angstrom said:

thank you ! Which books do you recommend for centos , LEMP; cecntminmod ? Anything from amazon ?

Every Linux distribution has its particularities but since they're all Linux, they're basically very similar. In my view, it makes more sense to learn Linux at the beginning instead of worrying about the particularities of a given Linux distribution.

As a book on using/running Linux, I personally like "Running Linux" by Dalheimer and Welsh, now its 5th edition, from 2006. (I first learned Linux from the 2nd edition, cited in my signature.)

But there are many books on Linux available, and many people would find a book from 2006 to be ancient now. I would say that the essentials haven't really changed much since 2006.

• @angstrom said:

@ULM said:

@angstrom said:

Every Linux distribution has its particularities but since they're all Linux, they're basically very similar. In my view, it makes more sense to learn Linux at the beginning instead of worrying about the particularities of a given Linux distribution.

As a book on using/running Linux, I personally like "Running Linux" by Dalheimer and Welsh, now its 5th edition, from 2006. (I first learned Linux from the 2nd edition, cited in my signature.)

But there are many books on Linux available, and many people would find a book from 2006 to be ancient now. I would say that the essentials haven't really changed much since 2006.

thank you ! and what about lemp ? I have tried to find a book for lemp on amazon but nothing appears there ......

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @ULM said:

@angstrom said:

@ULM said:

@angstrom said:

thank you ! and what about lemp ? I have tried to find a book for lemp on amazon but nothing appears there ......

You're getting ahead of yourself. Until you know the essentials, installing and managing a LEMP stack is an advanced topic.

This said, there are many tutorials available online, for example, at https://www.linode.com/docs/web-servers/lemp/ , but if you don't know the essentials, it'll be difficult.

In any case, I wish you the best in your Linux adventure.

Thanked by 1ULM
  • Look into some udemy beginner Linux courses, pretty straight forward and good to learn the basics

Thanked by 3Falzo angstrom ULM
  • @ULM Don't use it as a production server yet. Just use it as a dev box for learning so that you can wipe and restart if needed.

I suggest picking a distribution to learn because it can be really confusing to learn different distros at the beginning. I picked Debian/Ubuntu (Ubuntu is based on Debian so what works in Debian will work in Ubuntu).

Basics are to learn how SSH into your box and secure it. That means at least a few things:

1. Setting up sudo access and disabling root login after creating a user with sudo access.
    2. Changing your SSH port to a random port to reduce attacks from kiddy scripts
    3. Setting up a firewall to allow traffic in and out of your new SSH port and closing everything else (Debian/Ubuntu can use ufw which is a lot less complicated)
    4. Install fail2ban as a safeguard against brute force attacks on your SSH port

When done, install Apache or Nginx and open up ports 80 and 443 on your firewall. Then use your browser to see if you can access the welcome page. Then you need to learn how to set up your vhosts so that websites can reach your box. When you get this to work, go to Letsencrypt and learn how to install cerbot to use SSL on your box.

There are lots of good tutorials on Linode for this. When you finish these, then you can can try to deploy PHP and MariaDB.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2019

In addition to Linode: DO, Website for students and Stackexchange all have good tutorials.

Then there are Benchmark results posted by a variety of folks on LET. Self included (see signature) you can pick up some basic commands there.
    @bikegremlin has some good newbie friendly posts on their blog.
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2019

@angstrom said:

I know what you mean but
    Actually that’s a great way to learn if one knows where to look, where to ask and the willingness to learn by making mistakes.

The good part is they bought a VPS and not a car. Now that could be really a question to ponder upon. Different story when self driven cars become the default though.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

hello @ULM - a general principle that may be already evident to you but it is worth mentioning is just that "learning how to learn" is the most essential thing for something like linux and LEMP.

personally I find it most useful to know how to find information quickly when I need it - rather than memorizing every detail of a textbook (if that would even be possible for me to do)

So for my own way of learning - as much as it is possible to do so, I'm usually focused on searching for the answer to one question at a time. Patiently and persistently. If I get an error message when trying a command, then I search for webpages mentioning the error message.

It can take a long time.

I tend to remember where I found useful information with the "right" level of helpful details and I look for those websites first when I'm sorting through a lot of random search engine results. One site that I often find myself coming back to is the cyberciti nixcraft blog. There are a lot of similar linux-related sites online, and which is "best" for you may change over time.

The arch linux wiki tends to be another useful source of information for me - though it might be an understatement to say that opinions vary on whether arch linux is suitable for beginners - and it is presumably quite rare to see that distribution used as the basis for a production server rather than for a personal installation. But it's got a decent wiki for a lot of subjects.

Learning the command line shell well is worth some effort (for most linux-ish systems these days bash or zsh are standard - they are fairly similar, and the simplest common sh syntax such as you will find in smaller shells such as dash or ash may be the most important thing to learn.

Do as much as you can to learn on a local system (an old notebook or raspberry pi will do fine). And if online, do your experiments behind a firewall with access restricted to just a few IP addresses if possible. (The ufw firewall is pretty easy to setup on Debian and ubuntu).

There is a simple monitoring utility called atop that may be helpful to study if you want to learn more details about what's going on with system resources.

As for nginx and sql and PHP (or sometimes Python) ... that's another several bags of worms to get into. But the basic approach to "learning how to learn" may be much the same.

Just keep chipping away at it, and have fun (or why bother?) :)

• @vyas11 said:

@angstrom said:

I know what you mean but
    Actually that’s a great way to learn if one knows where to look, where to ask and the willingness to learn by making mistakes.

Fair enough.

I concede that that question was a bit flippant, but it was in the context of someone who had just signed up and immediately started a thread on how to use Linux, and who had seemingly not done much homework.

When he returned for a second post, I reconsidered.

But I'm not yet convinced that he'll be back or that he'll learn how to use the 'Thanks' button.

• I'll thank you!

• @vyas11 said:
    I'll thank you!

I was instead thinking: he should thank you guys! :smile:

Thanked by 1ULM
  • @angstrom said:

@ULM said:

@angstrom said:

@ULM said:

@angstrom said:

You're getting ahead of yourself. Until you know the essentials, installing and managing a LEMP stack is an advanced topic.

This said, there are many tutorials available online, for example, at https://www.linode.com/docs/web-servers/lemp/ , but if you don't know the essentials, it'll be difficult.

In any case, I wish you the best in your Linux adventure.

thank you i have the book and i have reached page 300 today

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • @poisson said:
    @ULM Don't use it as a production server yet. Just use it as a dev box for learning so that you can wipe and restart if needed.

I suggest picking a distribution to learn because it can be really confusing to learn different distros at the beginning. I picked Debian/Ubuntu (Ubuntu is based on Debian so what works in Debian will work in Ubuntu).

Basics are to learn how SSH into your box and secure it. That means at least a few things:

1. Setting up sudo access and disabling root login after creating a user with sudo access.
    2. Changing your SSH port to a random port to reduce attacks from kiddy scripts
    3. Setting up a firewall to allow traffic in and out of your new SSH port and closing everything else (Debian/Ubuntu can use ufw which is a lot less complicated)
    4. Install fail2ban as a safeguard against brute force attacks on your SSH port

When done, install Apache or Nginx and open up ports 80 and 443 on your firewall. Then use your browser to see if you can access the welcome page. Then you need to learn how to set up your vhosts so that websites can reach your box. When you get this to work, go to Letsencrypt and learn how to install cerbot to use SSL on your box.

There are lots of good tutorials on Linode for this. When you finish these, then you can can try to deploy PHP and MariaDB.

thank you i have followed the steps and i have fully operative my page . thank you for the information. If you know some recommended book of sys administration/centos or whatever please tell me

• @king8654 said:
    Look into some udemy beginner Linux courses, pretty straight forward and good to learn the basics

thank you i prefer the books i am from the old school . may be i am wrong or right , but i prefer them

• @vyas11 said:
    In addition to Linode: DO, Website for students and Stackexchange all have good tutorials.

Then there are Benchmark results posted by a variety of folks on LET. Self included (see signature) you can pick up some basic commands there.
    @bikegremlin has some good newbie friendly posts on their blog.
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/

@vyas11 said:

@angstrom said:

I know what you mean but

The good part is they bought a VPS and not a car. Now that could be really a question to ponder upon. Different story when self driven cars become the default though.

yes i am aware of the limitations of my knowledge but i am interested in learn and i am pretty sure that i am going to make some stupid errors. i have my backup behind me. if you wish to recommend me some books you are welcome

• @uptime said:
    hello @ULM - a general principle that may be already evident to you but it is worth mentioning is just that "learning how to learn" is the most essential thing for something like linux and LEMP.

personally I find it most useful to know how to find information quickly when I need it - rather than memorizing every detail of a textbook (if that would even be possible for me to do)

So for my own way of learning - as much as it is possible to do so, I'm usually focused on searching for the answer to one question at a time. Patiently and persistently. If I get an error message when trying a command, then I search for webpages mentioning the error message.

It can take a long time.

I tend to remember where I found useful information with the "right" level of helpful details and I look for those websites first when I'm sorting through a lot of random search engine results. One site that I often find myself coming back to is the cyberciti nixcraft blog. There are a lot of similar linux-related sites online, and which is "best" for you may change over time.

The arch linux wiki tends to be another useful source of information for me - though it might be an understatement to say that opinions vary on whether arch linux is suitable for beginners - and it is presumably quite rare to see that distribution used as the basis for a production server rather than for a personal installation. But it's got a decent wiki for a lot of subjects.

Learning the command line shell well is worth some effort (for most linux-ish systems these days bash or zsh are standard - they are fairly similar, and the simplest common sh syntax such as you will find in smaller shells such as dash or ash may be the most important thing to learn.

Do as much as you can to learn on a local system (an old notebook or raspberry pi will do fine). And if online, do your experiments behind a firewall with access restricted to just a few IP addresses if possible. (The ufw firewall is pretty easy to setup on Debian and ubuntu).

There is a simple monitoring utility called atop that may be helpful to study if you want to learn more details about what's going on with system resources.

As for nginx and sql and PHP (or sometimes Python) ... that's another several bags of worms to get into. But the basic approach to "learning how to learn" may be much the same.

Just keep chipping away at it, and have fun (or why bother?) :)

thank you for the dedicated time . I just prefer the books because i believe more in them . After that it is like everything if you have a general idea you could look for something more concrete on some websites and learn from them . i am going to follow your recommendations and you know if you have something in mind that could be interesent for a person like me just give me the name of the book or website . thank you once again

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @angstrom said:

@vyas11 said:

@angstrom said:

I know what you mean but

Fair enough.

I concede that that question was a bit flippant, but it was in the context of someone who had just signed up and immediately started a thread on how to use Linux, and who had seemingly not done much homework.

But I'm not yet convinced that he'll be back or that he'll learn how to use the 'Thanks' button.

Sorry i have not had lot of time to respond to the thread and say thank you . I must organize better my time . I am sorry once again . You are right but i have had the chance to follow this forum and i see that in many ocasions is better to ask and obtain more valuable information that spent hours learning from the wrong books or wrong websites , Yes i am back hopefully i am going to learn the basic or ask more stupid questions in the near future

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @ULM said:

@angstrom said:

@vyas11 said:

@angstrom said:

I know what you mean but

Fair enough.

Sorry i have not had lot of time to respond to the thread and say thank you . I must organize better my time . I am sorry once again . You are right but i have had the chance to follow this forum and i see that in many ocasions is better to ask and obtain more valuable information that spent hours learning from the wrong books or wrong websites , Yes i am back hopefully i am going to learn the basic or ask more stupid questions in the near future

Pleasant surprise to see you return :smile:

Thanked by 1ULM
  • many thanks after finishing the book i am going to follow it

• @angstrom said:

@ULM said:

@angstrom said:

@vyas11 said:

I know what you mean but

Fair enough.

When he returned for a second>

Pleasant surprise to see you return :smile:

well i have information to learn but after that you must keep in mind that i am going to ask some stupid questions hehe ;) so lets see if my return was pleasant :)