Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the LET experiences with mail in a box solutions?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are the LET experiences with mail in a box solutions?

I want to run my own mail and I am thinking along these lines. Mail-in-a-Box

Other alternatives mentioned on the Mail-in-a-Box page are iRedMail and Modoboa.

What are the preferred solutions here? I don't mind if they are focused on mass hosting.

Their long-term proven reliability is my concern.

Comments

• I'm using mailcow, and am really happy with it. I wanted to try mail-in-a-box but iirc it required me to use the box as the DNS server

Thanked by 1k9banger
  • I am not well-versed in such solutions but would there be mail delivery issues to gmail etc?

Thanked by 1k9banger
  • @poisson said:
    I am not well-versed in such solutions but would there be mail delivery issues to gmail etc?

In my tests, GMail wasn't usually an issue. As long as the IPs are clean, and contents looks OK (plus the good old SPF and DKIM), it usually goes to your inbox. The PITA is actually microsoft. Most emails from new IPs go to spam, and some mails even disappear on thin air (no reject messages, but not in any inbox/spam folder).

If you don't want to care about the delivery problems, you can get an email relay (SES, Postmark, etc.) or just buy a MXroute subscription from @jar and let him take care of all the headaches

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

I use mailcow. The only downside is it needs a lot of resources. I've got 2 mailcow servers, both with 4gb RAM and both using nearly all of it.

Gmail isn't usually an issue if you setup SPF/dkim/etc correctly - remember to set PTR record too.

MS/Outlook can be difficult - when I first started using it they outright refused all emails until I "confirmed" the IP address. Since then I've not heard of any deliverability issues but I only email a few people on outlook365.

Thanked by 1k9banger
  • @sanvit said:

@poisson said:
    I am not well-versed in such solutions but would there be mail delivery issues to gmail etc?

In my tests, GMail wasn't usually an issue. As long as the IPs are clean, and contents looks OK (plus the good old SPF and DKIM), it usually goes to your inbox. The PITA is actually microsoft. Most emails from new IPs go to spam, and some mails even disappear on thin air (no reject messages, but not in any inbox/spam folder).

If you don't want to care about the delivery problems, you can get an email relay (SES, Postmark, etc.) or just buy a MXroute subscription from @jar and let him take care of all the headaches

I use @jar and I love MXroute. Philosophically, I would like to administer everything myself, but email delivery has made me surrender this aspect. From your experience, it sounds like as long as SPF and DKIM is properly setup there should be no issues. I am currently rolling a YunoHost instance but didn't use the mail server for external emails because of concerns over delivery. Maybe I should try it.

Thanked by 2k9banger sanvit
  • I use @jar and I love MXroute. Philosophically, I would like to administer everything myself, but email delivery has made me surrender this aspect. From your experience, it sounds like as long as SPF and DKIM is properly setup there should be no issues.

Does Mxroute offer a good interface/control panel for end users? I see a reseller option that is not activated yet?

I am currently rolling a YunoHost instance but didn't use the mail server for external emails because of concerns over delivery. Maybe I should try it.

How much RAM and disk does Yunohost require?

• @Mr_Tom said:
    I use mailcow. The only downside is it needs a lot of resources. I've got 2 mailcow servers, both with 4gb RAM and both using nearly all of it.

What is the RAM used for? The only think I can imagine that will take so much RAM is an inefficient SPAM checking system. What does it use for checking SPAM?

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

Mail-in-a-Box is awesome for what it is. There are a few limited downsides but for personal or small business use it really can't be beat - if you want to host your own server that is. Hands down the best solution for email is MXRoute @jar .

sanvit said: I wanted to try mail-in-a-box but iirc it required me to use the box as the DNS server

MiaB is designed to KISS. Keep it simple stupid. Due to that it does indeed want to handle DNS for the domain served by the box. But it is absolutely not a requirement to do so. You just need to know how to enter the DNS records into your DNS provider's panel ... as you would with anything really.

poisson said: I am not well-versed in such solutions but would there be mail delivery issues to gmail etc?

@sanvit covered this really well, both concerning Goofle and M$.

Mr_Tom said: I use mailcow. The only downside is it needs a lot of resources. I've got 2 mailcow servers, both with 4gb RAM and both using nearly all of it.

MiaB runs reasonably well with 512mb RAM, though I usually use a minimum of 1GB personally.

poisson said: I use @jar and I love MXroute. Philosophically, I would like to administer everything myself, but email delivery has made me surrender this aspect.

Indeed! This is the reason that so many opt not to host email servers. Again, MXRoute is absolutely the best value for the money ... but some people still would prefer to do it themselves.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @k9banger said:

@Mr_Tom said:

What is the RAM used for? The only think I can imagine that will take so much RAM is an inefficient SPAM checking system. What does it use for checking SPAM?

@k9banger said:

@Mr_Tom said:

My mailcow on a 8GB VM is only using 3GB, although that should depend on the amount of mails, etc.
    It uses rspamd and clamav, and I think the majority of ram is used by clamav.

@k9banger said:

I use @jar and I love MXroute. Philosophically, I would like to administer everything myself, but email delivery has made me surrender this aspect. From your experience, it sounds like as long as SPF and DKIM is properly setup there should be no issues.

Does Mxroute offer a good interface/control panel for end users? I see a reseller option that is not activated yet?

For admins, currently DA, and for end users, none (at least as of now). Everything will be migrated to DuckyPanel soon (TM).

Thanked by 2k9banger ITLabs
  • @k9banger said:

How much RAM and disk does Yunohost require?

Now it uses DA for you to setup email accounts (mine is cPanel as it was before cPanel changed the pricing model but I don't mind being moved to DA if it saves @jar money). It also gives you a web-based interface at webmail.yourdomain.com if you wish to use your browser to log into your mail.

Yunohost needs minimum 512MB RAM, but recommended is 1GB and above. Disk space depends on your use case because it is a very small and lightweight panel built on top of Debian 9 (they are beta testing Debian 10 now). It's my favourite panel now because it is clean, not a mash of icons and has everything that is needed for a personal or small business/non-profit organization, and nothing more.

Thanked by 1k9banger
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Most of mailcows usage is usually either clamav or SOGO I find. It will run on 1gb RAM with some swap, just the GUI was a little slow.

Thanked by 1k9banger