Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is KVM Lite - VirMach
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is KVM Lite - VirMach

I have an OVZ VPS ($11.90/yr) of VirMach that I purchased on the last thanksgiving day. The I/O is superb (>500+ MB/s), but the download speed sucks (~75 KB/s from Asia). As it has 50gb SSD, 3vCPU, and 2gb RAM, I use it only for keeping my backups. It is scheduled to be converted to KVM on 22 Nov and I need to renew it on/before 22 Nov.

Does anyone know the specs of the "KVM Lite" of VirMach? Will I get even 20gb SSD after the migration? I sent an email to VirMach, but no response.

Comments

• You might look into this thread for more info about KVM Lite.

tl;dr you will initially get less storage than your current server (but more than what you're currently using), but will be provided a way to increase the storage by your self up to your current limit.

Thanked by 2skorous jamson
  • donlidonli Member
    edited November 2019

@pkr said:
    I have an OVZ VPS ($11.90/yr) of VirMach that I purchased on the last thanksgiving day. The I/O is superb (>500+ MB/s), but the download speed sucks (~75 KB/s from Asia). As it has 50gb SSD, 3vCPU, and 2gb RAM, I use it only for keeping my backups.

Although you may not get the 50GB initially allocated after the planned migration you can increase to the full amount at any time in the control panel.

How much of the 50GB are you currently using?

Which datacenter is your VPS in?
    _

• @sanvit said:
    You might look into this thread for more info about KVM Lite.

tl;dr you will initially get less storage than your current server (but more than what you're currently using), but will be provided a way to increase the storage by your self up to your current limit.

Thanks. It was helpful.

• @donli said:

@pkr said:
    I have an OVZ VPS ($11.90/yr) of VirMach that I purchased on the last thanksgiving day. The I/O is superb (>500+ MB/s), but the download speed sucks (~75 KB/s from Asia). As it has 50gb SSD, 3vCPU, and 2gb RAM, I use it only for keeping my backups.

Although you may not get the 50GB initially allocated after the planned migration you can increase to the full amount at any time in the control panel.

How much of the 50GB are you currently using?

Which datacenter is your VPS in?
    _

Data center is Germany. I am currently using about 12gb

• I’m curious about RAM, my black Friday special has 25GB of ram and 16 cpu cores plus 300GB ssd.

Am I now going to have a monster of a KVM vps?

• @PcJamesy said:
    I’m curious about RAM, my black Friday special has 25GB of ram and 16 cpu cores plus 300GB ssd.

@PcJamesy said:
    I’m curious about RAM, my black Friday special has 25GB of ram and 16 cpu cores plus 300GB ssd.

How much is it...

• @elliotc said:
    How much is it...

$80.66

• @PcJamesy said:

From the following text, it seems that they will change only the disk size. Maybe, they won some lottery or some king/queen donated them $$$ to migrate all OpenVZ to KVM. :smiley:

One of the only things we are changing is the disk, to the fair use/honor system meaning we'll allocate the amount of disk a service is actually using, plus some extra empty space for growth, and then give people the option to increase their disk size in increments as it's actually utilized. We'll still guarantee up to the amount of disk space you originally had and we're still ordering enough hardware to cover all the disk, should every single customer decide to increase their disk size to the maximum. We'd just be doing that to subsidize some of the significantly increased costs on our end by potentially using a small portion of the disk for new services.

• Hats off to Virmach for pulling this off, I would have rather expected a Bandwagonhost-kind of exit strategy, but I'm feeling quite uncomfortable about the fact that IPv6 will become exclusive for higher tier services.

I mean, of course it's incredible value and I understand their motivation, but imo it's just wrong.
    It reminds me of the dark Host1Plus days when they charged for TUN/TAP and PPP. The infrastructure is there and it's just an artificial restriction and IPv6 should rather be embraced than restricted.

• @salakis said: but I'm feeling quite uncomfortable about the fact that IPv6 will become exclusive for higher tier services.

salakis said: The infrastructure is there and it's just an artificial restriction and IPv6 should rather be embraced than restricted.

Could you elaborate a little? (What are you talking about? VirMach?)

• @angstrom said:

Yup, I have one of their smaller OVZ boxes in Frankfurt with an assigned IPv6 address and the migration email states the following:

Please note, we will not be assigning any IPv6 addresses.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @salakis said:

@angstrom said:

Yup, I have one of their smaller OVZ boxes in Frankfurt with an assigned IPv6 address and the migration email states the following:

Please note, we will not be assigning any IPv6 addresses.

Ah, okay, I see, it just wasn't clear based on this thread

Yeah, not so great