Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are the Featured Threads sooo old?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why are the Featured Threads sooo old?

I got hit with a Medium level warning for posting on an old discussion (I was reading through it to get a sense of it and came across something that I thought was funny and so added my own comment). If someone were to comment on any of the Featured Threads they too would get hit with a warning, which seems odd since a thread that is listed as Featured suggests that it is current. So, what's up with the FTs? Or is it something that only appears to my own logged-in account?

Comments

• Which thread would that be?

• @somik It is listing 8, and the newest active discussion is showing July 2018. Two are closed.

• A screenshot would be nice... You are in home page, right?

• scookescooke Member
    edited November 2019

You don't see the "Featured Threads" in the Categories sidebar? Maybe it differs for each user?

Number of FTs
    Date of threads

• The "featured threads" ended a long time ago; that's a dormant category now

• Huh, didn't realize LET had a feature thread.... Is that where all the LEB offers go?

• @somik said:
    Huh, didn't realize LET had a feature thread....

Like I said, it's been a dormant category for a long time now

• There's a lot of legacy stuff in here. Can be difficult to tell sometimes.

• The reason that @scooke received a warning was because he necroposted. The fact that he necroposted in a thread in "Featured Threads" was not the reason per se.

• @angstrom said:
    The reason that @scooke received a warning was because he necroposted. The fact that he necroposted in a thread in "Featured Threads" was not the reason per se.

Maybe a guideline on necroposting is in order. Is there one here?

• @poisson said:

@angstrom said:
    The reason that @scooke received a warning was because he necroposted. The fact that he necroposted in a thread in "Featured Threads" was not the reason per se.

Maybe a guideline on necroposting is in order. Is there one here?

There's this:

The Dark Arts of Thread Necromancy: make sure the thread you're replying to is still relevant

(From https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/137719/lowendtalk-community-rules/p1 )

If you show awareness that you're replying in an old thread and make it clear why your comment is still relevant, it's okay to necropost.

However, most of the time, the necroposter shows no awareness that he's replying in an old thread and fails to see that his comment is now irrelevant.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • scookescooke Member
    edited November 2019

I didn't comment in an Featured Threads discussion, fwiw. It was another discussion.

I think a hard and fast guideline would be difficult to establish beyond what they already have. I imagine it would make more work for the mods anyway if there were more clear guidelines to police and enforce.

Anyway, is there no way to remove that Category then from being visible? So far no one has necroposted on any of those discussions, but why leave them visible if they aren't pertinent any more? Or, maybe label a few other discussions as FTs?

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • It’s more fun just to make it up as you go along.

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • @scooke said:
    I didn't comment in an Featured Threads discussion, fwiw. It was another discussion.

Ah, okay, sorry, I misunderstood this point. :smile:

In any case, your sin was necroposting, irrespective of the category that the thread happened to be in. :smile:

I think a hard and fast guideline would be difficult to establish beyond what they already have. I imagine it would make more work for the mods anyway if there were more clear guidelines to police and enforce.

Definitely. Also, common sense can go a long way!

Anyway, is there no way to remove that Category then from being visible? So far no one has necroposted on any of those discussions, but why leave them visible if they aren't pertinent any more? Or, maybe label a few other discussions as FTs?

If I remember well, Jarland (@jar) introduced that category at one point when he was admin. The idea was to highlight threads that were judged to be of special or exceptional interest. But the practical problem was that it required manual intervention by a mod to decide whether to place a given thread in that category. With time (not much time), mods simply forgot about that category (or didn't feel motivated enough to place threads in that category).

As @poisson mentioned above, it's legacy stuff of LET. I would say that it's part of the archeological history of LET. (It's another question whether to delete that category or not. I would probably keep it as a relic of LET history.)