Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox vs OpenNode - recommendation which is better? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox vs OpenNode - recommendation which is better?

Comments

• @earl said:
    Starting from v2 and up it does..

Where/how do clients access it?

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@talsit

but it's so much more convenient using the web interface like proxmox then having to install a client..

have you seen the Thinapped vsphere Client? too bad no 5.5 yet.

http://labs.vmware.com/flings/thinapp-vsphere

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@joelgm said:

Well first you need to create the user on proxmox and give permissions on which CT/VM and permission that user should have.. then they sign in the same way you do thought the proxmox web interface but using their username instead of root.

When the user signs in they are only able to see and control the CT/VM that was allocated to them..

--If you wish to try

if you have a working promox and wish to try, its quite easy..

datacenter->users->add->under "realm" choose proxmox authentication and fill the rest of the form with the appropriate info

Then choose the CT/VM you wish to grant access to and:

CT/VM->Permissions->add->user permission->choose the user->choose the permission.

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • @jarland said:
    Proxmox. It installs as it claims to and then it works. OpenNode is misleading. The web interface won't work, enjoy the severe lack of anyone talking about how to fix it because no one seems to care, and the cli interface is less friendly than just using vzctl. In short, OpenNode is broken and not usable. Development is too inactive.

This.

• @earl said:
    CT/VM->Permissions->add->user permission->choose the user->choose the permission.

That's cool. I never knew that!

Thanked by 1earl
  • @joelgm said:
    That's cool. I never knew that!

Yup starting V2.0 and up.. There was a big request for this feature for a very long time! now I wish they start making proxmox with better support for ipv6..

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

@Zigga said:
    Haven't seen OpenNode, but looks like a blatant rip off of Proxmox. Proxmox is perfect if you want a personal server and not planning to do any hardcore networking or want to mess with the host at all.

OpenNode runs on CentOS and Proxmox runs on Debian for starters so not sure how either can be a rip off of the other. Not 100% sure but I don't think they even use the same programming language.

I'm not a big fan of Proxmox v3. Lots of little things about it I don't like and their new templating/cloning system for KVM needs some polish work. However for what you are doing I think it would be fine. I use it for development and some back end stuff but would never consider it for commercial hosting.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Thanks all for lots of valuable input. Heard lots of good things about Proxmox here, seems a winner. Not much input on OpenNode, though. So decided to install and test that first, with Proxmox in reserve and likely to follow if any problems with OpenNode ;)

• FYI, just to reiterate, I did a good bit of research on this a couple of weeks ago, and the free Proxmox repo is the equivalent of the one that was always there, before the licensing prompt. The enterprise repo is one that has an additional layer of quality checks, and hence, is potentially more stable.

• Thanks, @amhoab. Okay, so where to download the old, free Proxmox repo from?

• @earl, I agree on the web based interface, but the Vsphere Client isn't too bad to use although it does get confusing, somethings in 5.5 can't be done in Vsphere and require the paid Vserver etc.

I do like Proxmox and, for now, the free version is very stable, if nothing else, install the free version and don't upgrade it, then you won't introduce any of the untested code from the repository into your installed version. Not the best practice from a security stand point, but doable.

• talsit said: , I agree on the web based interface, but the Vsphere Client isn't too bad to use although it does get confusing, somethings in 5.5 can't be done in Vsphere and require the paid Vserver etc.

The thing about the thinapped vsphere is that it allows you to simultaneously connect to different versions of vmware.. I think the vshpere client is version dependent so you cannot use vsphere v5.1 to connect to esxi 5.5 etc..

Also I read on OVH that in version 5.5 they removed the 32GB ram limitation for the free version.

• @andrzej said:
    Thanks, amhoab. Okay, so where to download the old, free Proxmox repo from?

you don't actually download the repo.. it is something you set in /etc/apt/sources.list, so if you do not have a subscription you need to follow the guide and change your repo source accordingly or you will not be able to update proxmox.

This might help:

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_repositories#Proxmox_VE_No-Subscription_Repository

the last version of proxmox that did not use subscription base was v.2.3 maybe v3.0 as well but not too sure..

Download list for older versions of proxmox

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Downloads

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • I have no experience with OpenNode, but I have been using Proxmox for a very long time. I have been happy with it and it has served me well and continues to do so. I do have a bias for Debian derived systems so that may be part of it.

For what its worth though I'd also recommend VMware ESXi as well. It is a very well developed product. For flexibility you cannot beat being able to mix KVM and OVZ on the same node though.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @jbxl

The great thing about proxmox is that if you are familiar with Debian then all the commands pretty much work in proxmox like the DD test etc, while things like that can be a bit of a challenge in vmware..

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with some old Proxmox repo?? V3 comes with the enterprise repo preconfigured which doesn't work until you buy a license. That is annoying as is the unlicensed reminder but can't blame them for trying.

You simply disable that and manually set up the non-subscription repo. That is if you want to.
    http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_repositories

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited November 2013

Proxmox +1, It's free, 3.1xx updates regularly (without a license), it's stable, it works well in a KVM, and my nodes carry about 260MB overhead without trying to cut it down. I have 4 running currently, 3 on KVM and one on a dedi, and they have been up for months without an issue. I can only run OVZ on the KVM vps, both KVM and OVZ on the dedi. It is so much easier and better then anything else that's free, including OpenNode. I would not use it to sell VPS's with, but for development and such it is great.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @earl, yes the 32GB limitation is gone. There are some limits on networking and the vCPU limit per VM, but not something the average user will routinely bump up against.

vSphere 5.5 allows connection to 5 series hosts as well, vSphere 5.5 is how they have gimped the 5.5 release, the neat pay stuff can only be done via vServer apparently.

Thanked by 1earl
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited November 2013

@earl @sman @FrankZ @amhoab @leapswitch: let me see if I get this right...

(a) You can select the Proxmox VE Enterprise Repository;

Then, after Proxmox installs and works, to prevent error messages accessing the above
    if you have no Subscription key, you can simply disable this repo by commenting it out /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list....?

Am I correct in assuming this will effectively stop any updates from that point on?

(b) Or is it better to use the pve-no-subscription repo, which will not ask for a Subscription key and will continue to be updated, although with possible delays...?

• johnlth93johnlth93 Member
    edited November 2013

@andrzej said:
    earl sman FrankZ amhoab leapswitch: let me see if I get this right...

(a) You can select the Proxmox VE Enterprise Repository;

Then, after Proxmox installs and works, to prevent error messages accessing the above
    if you have no Subscription key, you can simply disable this repo by commenting it out /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list....?

Am I correct in assuming this will effectively stop any updates from that point on?

(b) Or is it better to use the pve-no-subscription repo, which will not ask for a Subscription key and will continue to be updated, although with possible delays...?

By commenting our the enterprise repo in source list you will get rid of the error when you do apt-get update
    but the nag upon login to the web ui still wil be there, go get rid of that too you can do this http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/369170/#Comment_369170 (side note mentioned)

I won't recommend using pve-no-subscription though, unless you just want to try it out to see what's new then yea go for it.
    For me i din't use that, i just stick with debian repo.
    Unless you're doing enterprise hosting or whatsoever business, i believe it won't matter much if you're using it privately like you suggested on #1

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited November 2013

@andrzej - Your "a" above is correct and your assumption is correct.

I do "b", and stay updated. I have no issues with stability or bugs. It is my understanding that the pve-no-subscription repo gets updates first, before they have enough hours on them to be considered stable for the Enterprise Repository.

EDIT: for "b" your also going to add the pve-no-subscription repo

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list

#deb https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian wheezy pve-enterprise

/etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian wheezy pve-no-subscription

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@andrzej

Essentially after you install proxmox v3.1 and you don't have a paid subscription, you need to ssh to your server and issue the command

nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Delete everything and replace the with the following:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib

# PVE pve-no-subscription repository provided by proxmox.com, NOT recommended for production use
    deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian wheezy pve-no-subscription

# security updates
    deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib

Save and exit, then:

nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list

you need to add # to the beginning of the line so your pve-enterprise.list will look exactly like:

# deb https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian wheezy pve-enterprise

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited November 2013

@earl said: Essentially after you install proxmox v3.1 you need to ssh to your server and issue the command

So essentially what you are suggesting is install from the "pve-enterprise" repo, then turn that off (comment out) and add "pve-no-subscription" instead... am I reading you right?

EDIT: hey, but won't this result in an automatic update to "pve-no-subscription" repo anyways...?

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@andrzej said:So essentially what you are suggesting is install from the "pve-enterprise" repo

Well you can't really install from the enterprise repo.. the repo is only for updates.. the default proxmox is set to get it's updates from the enterprise repo, but if you don't input a subscription key then it won't allow you to update proxmox..

so in order for you to receive updates you need to switch to the non subscription based repo which use to be the test or unstable repo, while at the same time you need to disable the enterprise repo to prevent errors..

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

Ok here is the steps..

first you download proxomox from here:

http://www.proxmox.com/downloads/item/proxmox-ve-3-1-iso-installer

Once you download the ISO, you need to burn it to a cd and load it to the cdrom of your server, then you can follow the instructions on the video:

After the proxmox install is complete then you proceed to change the repo from the default enterprise (paid) to the No-Subscription (free) so that you can update your proxmox server, following the instructions for "Proxmox VE No-Subscription Repository"

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_repositories#Proxmox_VE_No-Subscription_Repository

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2013

Guys, dont bother with the ISO install.
    I did that at first, but then reconsidered, simply install wheezy and then convert it into proxmox and you have also a fully functional debian below (if your stuff works with the 2.6.32 kernel, that is, ovz has a big weight over it).
    http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Wheezy
    In the tutorial also sets the no-subscription repos but be aware you need to create the bridge for KVM (can be done in the gui, just remove the IP and gateway from eth0 and add them to the bridge you just created where you add eth0.
    That being said i dont like the turn they took. It seems to be a bait and switch strategy on the long term. I hope someone will take over the development if they stop providing the free version. I really like proxmox but there are a few issues ahead and one is the legacy of OVZ.
    Unlike XenServer/XCP, Proxmox uses KVM which has no "PV" version and even with the virtio drivers has a serious overhead and speed penalty over Xen-PV. They had to go with OVZ to provide near-native speed "virtualization", but OVZ is only slightly faster than Xen-PV and Xen can run own kernel providing much better isolation and control.

• @Maounique said: Guys, dont bother with the ISO install. I did that at first, but then reconsidered, simply install wheezy and then convert it into proxmox and you have also a fully functional debian below (if your stuff works with the 2.6.32 kernel, that is, ovz has a big weight over it)...

Tried that first. No love. After booting into the new kernel, installation goes haywire with something like "new media, insert new disc into CD drive". This on KVM. No idea what's that about. So installed from the ISO. No problems there.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@leapswitch said:
    Is proxmox free for personal or commercial use ?

Most definitely. That's the beauty of open source :-)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2013

@aglodek said:
    Tried that first. No love. After booting into the new kernel, installation goes haywire with something like "new media, insert new disc into CD drive". This on KVM.

I cannot see a reason why would like to continue installing anything. Once you install debian installation is finished, you add the proxmox stack over it, maybe you left some ISO mounted ?