Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buy bandwidth directly from Tier 1 ISP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Buy bandwidth directly from Tier 1 ISP

Everyone in the US knows that residential ISPs (Comcast/Charter/Centurylink/etc) sucks, right?

Well, I just realized that a Tier 1 ISP runs fiber optic just right in front of where I live, not more than 100 yards away.

Wonder if anyone have any tips on tapping into that sweet, sweet Tier 1 bandwidth?

I guess they won't sell to consumers, so I'd need to establish an LLC.

What's next?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2019

Well, they will probably want $50,000 to connect 100 yards away so it's probably not worth anyways.

The shitty residential ISPs are going to be cheaper.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

That cable may run 100 yards away from you, but that doesn't mean the closest splice point for service tap off is there, it could be miles and miles away.

• Theoretical speaking, what if the closest splice point is only 20 yards away?

• Are you actually willing to sign 5-10 year contracts at >$5-10/1mbps

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • hzrhzr Member
    edited November 2019

Centurylink gives me 2x1000mbps symmetrical for $100/month. This is because of a contention ratio, existing cabling, residential no-SLA.

You really want to pay $1000+ for this? And if you don't do you know what your overages will look like at 95%? Yes, you can get your gbit line with a lower commit. But you try downloading steam games for a weekend and enjoy your assfucking - contractually obligated.

(PS: I think I was quoted $10000-20000 per mile for setup + cost of permits, construction)

• send your CV to them, willing to be a full time janitor as long as you could sleep there. Bring your own PC, and enjoy your 24/7 Internet with premium whatever Tier bandwidth freely.

Thanked by 2BlaZe terrorgen
  • I'd rather put up a VPN server on the tier 1 dc and use it instead.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

This won't end well.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

hzr said: Centurylink gives me 2x1000mbps symmetrical for $100/month. This is because of a contention ratio, existing cabling, residential no-SLA.

Centurylink's best offer in my neighborhood is 12mbps down, 1mbps up.

• @raindog308 said:

hzr said: Centurylink gives me 2x1000mbps symmetrical for $100/month. This is because of a contention ratio, existing cabling, residential no-SLA.

Centurylink's best offer in my neighborhood is 12mbps down, 1mbps up.

They are offering 100mbps in my suburb for 50 bucks a month. Gig speeds in town.

• @sanvit said:
    I'd rather put up a VPN server on the tier 1 dc and use it instead.

That's because South Korea has the best residential network speed in the world.

• My residential network is 1gpbs as well. I can also opt for dedicated IP. However, high speed is not all thats needed. My ping time inside Singapore is bellow 30ms and internet speed can easily reach 950mbps.

However, connecting to anything outside Singapore is 100ms+ (280ms for Canada). Also, the internet speed outside SG is limited to around 200mbps to 500mbps.

I am told all of these are not applicable for their business plans, which costs $300 per month (compared to my $45 per month).

Now the servers on T1 are a totally different thing altogether. You can actualy get much lower ping times (due to less hops) and much better speeds (dedicated network). However, thats mostly applicable for datacenters and "large companies" only.

• @somik said:
    My residential network is 1gpbs as well. I can also opt for dedicated IP. However, high speed is not all thats needed. My ping time inside Singapore is bellow 30ms and internet speed can easily reach 950mbps.

However, connecting to anything outside Singapore is 100ms+ (280ms for Canada). Also, the internet speed outside SG is limited to around 200mbps to 500mbps.

I am told all of these are not applicable for their business plans, which costs $300 per month (compared to my $45 per month).

Now the servers on T1 are a totally different thing altogether. You can actualy get much lower ping times (due to less hops) and much better speeds (dedicated network). However, thats mostly applicable for datacenters and "large companies" only.

A lot of things in Asia is cheap, but not bandwidth. Which ISP are you on? I think if you pay a bit more for Viewqwest you might see better performance. I have heard good things about them.

• @poisson said:

@somik said:
    My residential network is 1gpbs as well. I can also opt for dedicated IP. However, high speed is not all thats needed. My ping time inside Singapore is bellow 30ms and internet speed can easily reach 950mbps.

A lot of things in Asia is cheap, but not bandwidth. Which ISP are you on? I think if you pay a bit more for Viewqwest you might see better performance. I have heard good things about them.

I'm on Singtel. I've heard some good, some bad stuff about view quest, so not switching to them anytime soon.

• a very bad idea

• @tgl said:
    a very bad idea

Can't be worse then starhub. Those guys used (2012 to 2015) to charge for things you didn't even sign up for... Only when you call them up, it's all system failures and mistake on their charging system.