Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 over OpenVPN IPv4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 over OpenVPN IPv4

nabonabo Member
edited February 2012 in General

What I want to do is the following: I have an OpenVPN-connection between my notebook and my VPS using IPv4 as my ISP does not provide any IPv6. However, the VPS has IPv6 native. Now I would like to forward the IPv6 traffic between the VPS and the notebook so that the notebook is able to surf the internet using the IPv6 from the VPS.

I've searched and read a lot on OpenVPN and IPv6 now, but it was more and more confusing. Does anybody have exactly the set-up I'm trying to achieve?

Is it enough to simply tell OpenVPN in the server.conf tun-ipv6 and enable ipv6-forwarding in sysctl.conf? Can you provide me your openvpn.conf or point me to any useful howto?

Comments

• Dunno, why don't you try that instead of ask? =P

• @yomero said: Dunno, why don't you try that instead of ask? =P

I thought I could raise the question and get some more input. :-/

• @nabo said: get some more input.

I always learn more by trying and failing and then fixing

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @miTgiB said: I always learn more by trying and failing and then fixing

Exactly

• Well, so let's close the forum. Everybody can help himself then ;-)

• @nabo said: let's close the forum.

Don't make me go old school on you, in the past it was always fail, show your work, ask for help. Your suggestion removes the ability to ask for help.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Does OpenVPN even support IPv6 packets over IPv4?

• ValdikSSValdikSS Member
    edited February 2012

I have such a thing.
    Do you have VPS on openvz or xen/kvm?
    It's(almost) impossible to use your native ipv6 addresses in openvz in the proper way. I had to use hurricane electric(tunnelbrocker.net) and tb-tun to make it work with my openvz vps. That's because you can't get some subnet on your venet interface inside of your openvz vps, only one /128 address, so you have no routed networks. My vps have no sit module loaded so I had to use tb-tun to make something like sit emulator.
    So you have to get 2 /64 subnets from hurricane electric(or /48 from 6to4) and use it.
    And you have to use http://www.greenie.net/ipv6/openvpn.html openvpn with ipv6 payload patch on both server and client.

• nabonabo Member
    edited February 2012

@ValdikSS said: So you have to get 2 /64 subnets from hurricane electric(or /48 from 6to4) and use it.

Thanks @ValdikSS. I also stumbled upon the few /128 addresses I had and the routing. Whatever I tried did not work. My VPS is OpenVZ. I will give tb-tun and HE a try!

• ValdikSSValdikSS Member
    edited February 2012

@nabo said: I will give tb-tun and HE a try!

Use tb-tun only if you have no sit module.
    And to be sure HE gives 2 /64 subnets by default, you shouldn't create 2 tunnels.

• You can try another approach - install squid on the VPS, then you connect over ipv4 to the squid proxy and squid can connect to ipv6 sites if needed. Not sure if squid supports ipv6, but i believe it should.

• @rds100 said: install squid on the VPS, then you connect over ipv4 to the squid proxy and squid can connect to ipv6 sites if needed.

That is a very nice idea!

• @nabo said: That is a very nice idea!

That's a nice idea only if you want ipv6 to access ipv6 websites.

• and that means HTTP only..

• What about polipo? (Never used it btw, but the people says it's low end)

• Just tried ipv6 over ipv4 using tinc and it works, using a Xen vps with 6to4.
    Browser shows ipv6.google.com & can ssh into my desktop with an ipv6 address.