Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

dedicat_server.ro benchmark & review - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

dedicat_server.ro benchmark & review

13»

Comments

• @dahartigan said:
    I think you will find those who complain about cociu's support to be the ones who open endless tickets with very little detail, or frivolous requests/demands. They would account for a lot, if not the majority, in my opinion, of the cociu naysayers.

To a significant extent, yes. However, @cociu himself admitted that he has a problem (e.g. see here) with timely responses to tickets, and I applaud his openness about it and the doing something about it.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • seriesnseriesn Member
    edited November 2019

Here is my 2c.

@jsg is entitled to his own opinion and own reviews. He is doing this free of cost. Just like any other reviews out there, his opinions are based on his personal experience.

These walls of texts are useless and solely because of one simple reason.

It is his damn opinion, that he didn’t get paid for. This is a public forum. Emphasis on the sentence “didn’t get paid”. Unless he/she has been paid for or someone is paying @jsg to write defacto industry bible reviews, why does it matter so much ? Smh....

If one wants to read that, like or dislike what they see, and make their decisions, let it be.

If one feels like his reviews are not good enough, one is entitled to research more in depth, lookup more reviews or much better , signup for the product and provide their own version.

Really boys/girls/cats/potatos etc, take a chill pill and relax.

Jsg shared his feedback, host and end users responded to it and that is it. What is the point of trying desperately, to prove someone wrong or right, over internet?

Good night y’all.

• @EAgency could write a book

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I can't believe it. Guys! Hello? This is just a review. No need to start a war over it!

If you like it I'm glad that I could contribute something to our community or even provide useful feedback to a provider. If you don't like it, well, just ignore it or write one you consider better yourself. But don't start a damn war over something that I did with the best intentions and with quite some work put into it!

Oh, and let me assure you that I have no intention whatsoever to paint any particular provider good or bad. I really try hard to be honest and fair.

• dedicatserver_rodedicatserver_ro Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2019

LTniger said: LizardFS... Holy sh** someone loves to be a blade runner. CEPH/ZFS is more common among storage providers. @dedicatserver_ro how long do you use LFS and what's your feedback on stability, disaster recovery (failed disk, electricity failures etc.)?

• we use them for almost 2 years , but is one fork of LizardFS that work over infiniband with modified kernel, stable 99% ( uRaft cause some problems, and the HP infiniband cards over Flex interfaces )
    • no disk,electricity...etc failures
    • CEPH/ZFS is it's very slow and have no infiniband support => latency problems

I support @dedicatserver_ro 's comment. The question is not what's (allegedly) used by most providers. The relevant point is what's the right solution for a given use case - and LizardFS which is basically MooseFS plus some gadgets that cost money in the MOFS pro version is by no means unreliable or sh_tty. In fact, I like MooseFS and I do trust it plus it's an elegant (and cheap) way out of the Raid 5x/6x dilemma of a dead disk pulling down another disk too.

Where I'm not happy with DS's approach is that the metadata servers also serve as cluster servers. A good setup would at least have the master metadata server on a separate machine. Two other points that disturb me are that they don't provide information on chunk redundancy and that they seem to trust the nonsensical (purely theoretical) performance values provided by the LizardFS panel.

But then to be fair dedicat_server are certainly not the only ones making that mistake. It seems that the manufacturers marketing department succeeded in burning nonsense in most heads. Plus: do not underestimate the workload which is a and often the decisive factor.

And whatever tiered storage (not "tired") model they use, at the end of the day it's the results on the customers system that count.

My advice to dedicat_server is to use MoFS/LzFS for a storage server. There it can shine and play out its strengths. One can build quite fast yet cheap storage solution with those 2 file systems. If one absolutely wants to use them for normal system duties one should have fast metaservers with lots of memory and fast NVMes - but no matter what one will not achieve SSD like speeds due to the multilayered structure and due to Infiniband/ISCSI/xoE, especially not in random access mode.

In closing I'd like to pick out two points made by dedicat_server that I find noteworthy:

• all systems have dual power supplies. That gets you a fat plus in my books
    • 15 minutes support reaction time. I didn't and couldn't test that but if it's even just vaguely true then that's a very big plus. In fact, I wouldn't expect a reaction time below 1 or 2 hrs from a low end provider (that's not classifying DS. But this is LET).

Finally some piece of advice for everyone incl. providers: Do not believe manufacturers (hw or sw, no matter) data! And I'm not talking about numbers only, I'm also talking from perspective. Example: If the connection between the mainboard and the disks is longer than about 3 feet you loose performance, no matter what nice images hardware and software people paint and show.
    Also be sure to really understand the technology. Explanation: Yes Infiniband seems to be a tad faster than Ethernet due to the slimmer protocol and headers - but those are not what makes a slow result. That difference only looks big on marketing material. What kills performance are many other things like the protocol, lookup times, routing, and most of all multiple layers of file systems.

But again, dedicat_server is not a sh_tty provider. In their case the killer price vs what you get. So, DS, add some more chunks (good spindles will do fine!) to your LzFS and bring us a nice fat storage server for a good price. And don't put all the goodies into the package because that drives up costs and hence price. Nope, make goodies like fat DDOS protection options on top.

Thanked by 1alilet
    edited November 2019

@dedicatserver_ro

As you defecated - again - in @cocius thread I take the liberty to put this also here in "your" review.

Your VPS disk:

Seq.Wr.:   204,95 MB/s
    Rnd.Wr:   14,69 MB/s
    Seq.Rd:   395,48 MB/s
    Rnd.Rd:   666,1 MB/s

HostSolutions storage VPS disk:

Seq.Wr:   276.51 MB/s
    Rnd.Wr:   440.67 MB/s
    Seq.Rd:   1230 MB/s
    Rnd.Rd:   947.53 MB/s

Your network vs HostSolutions network (ca. 15 min. ago):

DS      HS
    GR_UNK: 109   65.8 Mb/s
    US_SJC: 25.72   43.7 Mb/s
    UK_LON: 107.28   151.4 Mb/s
    DE_FRA: 153.12   270.9 Mb/s
    BR_SAO: 19  0   30.2 Mb/s
    FR_PAR: 107.5   162.3 Mb/s
    US_WDC: 33  0   30.8 Mb/s
    AU_MEL: 17.31   30.8 Mb/s
    IT_MIL: 118.92   178.5 Mb/s
    SG_SGP: 12.49   46.4 Mb/s
    US_DAL: 30.51   47.6 Mb/s
    RU_MOS: 98.93   162.4 Mb/s
    JP_TOK: 9.99   44.0 Mb/s
    NO_OSL: 66.4   113.0 Mb/s
    IN_CHN: 25.68   41.3 Mb/s

So, cocius disk - on a ultra cheap storage VPS! - is consistently better than your VPS disk.
    Also, their network is clearly better than yours.

Learn the lesson already! You will not win based on bad mouthing your competitor. To win you must have a better price/performance/service ratio, simple as that.

Yes, HostSolutions DC is who knows where in the romanian pampa while you are in two Top DCs in the capital. SO WHAT? We are interested in performance for the buck and there HS wins big against you.

Damned, stop sh_tting in the threads of competitors and instead do your homework and offer us good products for a good price!

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited November 2019

@dahartigan said:

TimboJones said: I have no desire or incentives to write a public benchmark and review. I feedback any issues I experience directly to vendors I use. I have much better use of my time than doing reviews.

Here's a thought: Why don't you actually contribute something to the community for once instead of complaining about what others contribute? You state you don't have the time to write a review, but you seem to have an abundance of time to write walls of text on LET.

Secondly, @jsg is a respected member of this community. That's something he has earned through his contributions.

Oh, you're another one who believes in half ass reviews in 20 minutes telling other people what to do in their free time. This is a discussion forum, I don't know why people need to be reminded so often.

And FFS, just because reading is hard for you doesn't make it a wall of text. Those are called paragraphs and by definition, doesn't make it a wall of text.

• @poisson said:

@dahartigan said:

TimboJones said: I have no desire or incentives to write a public benchmark and review. I feedback any issues I experience directly to vendors I use. I have much better use of my time than doing reviews.

Here's a thought: Why don't you actually contribute something to the community for once instead of complaining about what others contribute? You state you don't have the time to write a review, but you seem to have an abundance of time to write walls of text on LET.

Secondly, @jsg is a respected member of this community. That's something he has earned through his contributions.

Asking him to actually contribute? He has an unrespected record on LET for being full of two things: himself and crap.

Sorry, but when have I been full of myself? Perhaps you don't understand what that means. On the crap side, I give reasons for any arguments I make, and you don't. Jsg hasn't responded to any points about the test methods or test reporting I brought up. So wtf are you getting on with?

• dedicatserver_rodedicatserver_ro Member, Host Rep

jsg said: The relevant point is what's the right solution for a given use case - and LizardFS which is basically MooseFS plus some gadgets that cost money in the MOFS pro version is by no means unreliable or sh_tty.

• 2 years ago , we have tested different solution : ceph,mosfs and lizardfs, for distributed storage in each node ( each server have2 x 256 SSD for OS, 4 x HGST S840 Enterprise SAS SSD 2TB and 1x Fusion iO ioDrive II MLC PCIe 1.2TB for "master metadata" and Tiering
    • we have decide that lizardfs is the better alternative after a lot of tests
    • we are open for suggestion if you have one considering our hardware settings and Opennebula ( we test now BeeGFS ), and we keep the infiniband for transport ( is for our future projects necessary ), no external storage !!!
  • cociucociu Member
    edited November 2019

Guys .... i am tagged ... so please i do not want to discuss more about this "person" (nothing personal with him ) , never i have blame him , never look at him like a competitor , i dont know way is so angry/gelous with me and really i am not interesed. "She" was start in blame me in my offer threads like hi was invent the internet or something like this.

So what is important here this specimen was look for publicity (proof all his comments about his company is better than me , etc etc , more good like me , etc etc ... always is more good. All this was make in my OWN offers threads) so for me is zero value. Is true is colocated in Voxility ore whatever , every of us can do this. BUT and a big BUT who cannot do this ? every of LET user can do this and start to make the big one like him " i have 4x10gbps with xxxx provider and 9999x10gbps with another one. MY network is like a racket , my servers came with gold ... etc etc. " In this world i learn to be humilde , and read every comment including the bad ones and i lear my lesson with my 40 years old. SO what if you have 51 years if you are still a child ? what you have construct in your life ?

For the last time i will tell you my most sincere words :

I am not the big one , i will never be , i am not the "top provider" i will never be. Also i like to grow my business from zero and work hard to grow. and i will give you a neutral exemple if want to confirm hi can confirm if not is his right , ask @vimalware what is his first number invoice in HS. In this point (some years ago) i had only 50 servers and we make bgp with a server ... i am not hide nothing this was cociu some years ago. Now i have +1000 and still growing if you dont beleve ask @tmln how many dedicated servers have here online , how many i need to prepare for tomorrow for the same customer .. i can continue with xxxx exemples to proove all this quantity. Any way i will not play your game because is a childish but please ignore me "YOU ARE THE BEST" so please respect me at least.

About you .... you have acuse me ... i have constructed something , a personal structure , personal racks , lines , generators , ups , cable , etc etc... what you have constructed ? some invoices to some big providers ? i can do the same so what ? i cannot be "top provider" if all what i offer is not mine. ... \

Sleep old man sleep will be better.

Thanks all and please do not tag me any more in this thread because i will not play his game , the pure interest in all this for him is have a name , for this hi need to work because me and my people was work hard many night to be where we are.

EDIT : sorry but i cannot abtain me ... ME " cociu" with my old cisco 6500 catalyst i get better connectivity than you with this sofisticated pictures what you have post there (i need a day to understand wtf is this because i am not a thech guy) also i do not have 99999 x10gbps lines like you , also i am a poor man and i cannot spend more than 5 dollars in my structure comparately with your "top provider" budget.

LOL Really.

Thanked by 2poisson dahartigan
  • tgltgl Member
    edited November 2019

as, I said, I mostly come here for the drama, i read just 5 lines from posts, but in @cociu 's case i'm making an exception because he is too funny

• I am SO tempted to post an animated GIF, but will refrain from it. It's @jsg's thread after all.

• TimboJones said: wall of text

A fascinating phenomenon, really. I myself, over the years, have had ample opportunity to grapple with a (possibly inherited, certainly inculcated) tendency for wordiness and occasionally inappropriately verbose written outputs, frequently exacerbated by an arcane lexicon as well as arguably obtuse sensibility, tending to revolve around a progressively diffuse grasp of contextual relevance and social cues such as those which usually suffice to constrain the better parts of civilized company from blithely wading in where angels fear to tread (such as here, in another poster's thread).

While every word or sentence taken in isolation may indeed be a perfect utterance - a sparkling gem of conceptual brilliance, polished to perfection ... this conceit tends to collapse under its own weight, as so much concentrated cleverness ultimately only serves to hold a mirror up to the glaring lack of self-reflection inherent in an extended rant - the written equivalent of felling a thousand screaming trees in a forest of deaf mute idiots who cannot help but to point and laugh at some demented lumberjack flailing wildly about in a barren realm ultimately devoid of any true meaning or significance.

As a frequently relapsing but ostensibly recovering rantaholic, I often feel inclined to reach out to my fellow travelers here, to encourage some urgent contemplation of @deank's enduring insight:

brevity is the soul!

(And, the Oxford comma is the devil!)

And yet ... here we are again, on the other side of another couple hundred words hurled recklessly into the ether (while the women come and go, speaking of Michelangelo.)

Perhaps it is a matter of medical science, as per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergraphia

Several regions of the brain are involved in the act of writing. Primary areas are the superior parietal cortex and the frontal lobe, the region of the brain that plans out movement. An area of the frontal lobe that is especially active is Exner's area, located in the premotor cortex. The physical motion of the hand is controlled by the primary motor cortex, also located in the frontal lobe, and the right cerebellum. Writing creatively and generating ideas, on the other hand, is controlled by the limbic system, specifically involving the activity of the hippocampus, which is important in the retrieval of long-term memories. Words and ideas are cognized and understood by the temporal lobes, and these temporal lobes are connected to the limbic system.
    Although hypergraphia cannot be isolated to one specific part of the brain, some areas are known to have more of an effect than others. The hippocampus has been found to play a role in the occurrence of temporal lobe epilepsy and schizophrenia. In one study, rats induced with temporal lobe epilepsy showed an increase in dopamine neural activity in the hippocampus. Because hypergraphia has been linked to temporal lobe epilepsy and schizophrenia, the hippocampus could have an effect on hypergraphia as well. In another study, patients with bilateral hippocampal atrophy (BHA) showed signs of having Geschwind syndrome, including hypergraphia.
    While epilepsy-induced hypergraphia is usually lateralized to the left cerebral hemisphere in the language areas, hypergraphia associated with lesions and other brain damage usually occurs in the right cerebral hemisphere. Lesions to the right side of the brain usually cause hypergraphia because they can disinhibit language function on the left side of the brain. Hypergraphia has also been known to be caused by right hemisphere strokes and tumors.
    Lesions to Wernicke's area (in the left temporal lobe) can increase speech output, which can sometimes manifest itself in writing

Thanked by 2dahartigan ITLabs

@dedicatserver_ro

I didn't attack you on LzFS. In fact, I confirmed your choice but made some technical remarks. So, again, LzFS (and MooseFS) are good choices - but they have their strengths and weaknesses. So I gave you the advice to think about offering a cheap storage VPS (and maybe dedis too) because that is where LzFS would be strong.

@cociu

My point was not to get you into the discussion here. For me it's simply a question of fairness to tag you when I post results of one of your products. Of course, you are free to comment but my point was mainly to make sure that you see this.
    Btw. congrats on your progress. Things seem to evolve nicely with HS.

@Amitz Thanks for respecting this being "my" thread but actually I don't have a problem with occasional images or gifs. What I dislike is series of them or whole "conversations" with images or gifs.
    So, if you feel like it and have a nice gif re this discussion here, feel free to go ahead.

Thanked by 2Amitz ITLabs
  • cociucociu Member
    edited November 2019

jsg said: Btw. congrats on your progress. Things seem to evolve nicely with HS.

Give me some weeks more because we still add some good stuff in the near future. Also like i have told my priority is the tiketing support (with the new module we do not receive more than 10 tikets/day comarately with the old one what was a average of +100/day) .

Edited : Also you will find in near future a know let customer who will colaborate with us in Tiketing so this definetly will be improved.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

cociu said: not

s/not/now/

(something something Freudian slip? Or perhaps more like an Adlerian negligee - but I digress ... Sometimes a typo is just a typo.)

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited November 2019

@uptime said:

TimboJones said: wall of text

Even bigger wall of text

My opinion about this

Thanked by 1uptime
  • cociu said: Edit

tgl said: as, I said, I mostly come here for the drama, i read just 5 lines from posts, but in @cociu 's case i'm making an exception because he is too funny

are you a girl ? Oradea is a good place darling :)

• @cociu not yet

Thanked by 2uptime cociu
  • @uptime said:

The GMAT reading test nightmare comes alive.

Rare to see a review thread turn into a drama.

• @tgl said:
    @cociu not yet

Thanked by 2ITLabs Amitz
  • @uptime said:

TimboJones said: wall of text

A fascinating phenomenon, really. I myself, over the years, have had ample opportunity to grapple with a (possibly inherited, certainly inculcated) tendency for wordiness and occasionally inappropriately verbose written outputs, frequently exacerbated by an arcane lexicon as well as arguably obtuse sensibility, tending to revolve around a progressively diffuse grasp of contextual relevance and social cues such as those which usually suffice to constrain the better parts of civilized company from blithely wading in where angels fear to tread (such as here, in another poster's thread).

While every word or sentence taken in isolation may indeed be a perfect utterance - a sparkling gem of conceptual brilliance, polished to perfection ... this conceit tends to collapse under its own weight, as so much concentrated cleverness ultimately only serves to hold a mirror up to the glaring lack of self-reflection inherent in an extended rant - the written equivalent of felling a thousand screaming trees in a forest of deaf mute idiots who cannot help but to point and laugh at some demented lumberjack flailing wildly about in a barren realm ultimately devoid of any true meaning or significance.

As a frequently relapsing but ostensibly recovering rantaholic, I often feel inclined to reach out to my fellow travelers here, to encourage some urgent contemplation of @deank's enduring insight:

brevity is the soul!

(And, the Oxford comma is the devil!)

And yet ... here we are again, on the other side of another couple hundred words hurled recklessly into the ether (while the women come and go, speaking of Michelangelo.)

Perhaps it is a matter of medical science, as per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergraphia

Several regions of the brain are involved in the act of writing. Primary areas are the superior parietal cortex and the frontal lobe, the region of the brain that plans out movement. An area of the frontal lobe that is especially active is Exner's area, located in the premotor cortex. The physical motion of the hand is controlled by the primary motor cortex, also located in the frontal lobe, and the right cerebellum. Writing creatively and generating ideas, on the other hand, is controlled by the limbic system, specifically involving the activity of the hippocampus, which is important in the retrieval of long-term memories. Words and ideas are cognized and understood by the temporal lobes, and these temporal lobes are connected to the limbic system.
    Although hypergraphia cannot be isolated to one specific part of the brain, some areas are known to have more of an effect than others. The hippocampus has been found to play a role in the occurrence of temporal lobe epilepsy and schizophrenia. In one study, rats induced with temporal lobe epilepsy showed an increase in dopamine neural activity in the hippocampus. Because hypergraphia has been linked to temporal lobe epilepsy and schizophrenia, the hippocampus could have an effect on hypergraphia as well. In another study, patients with bilateral hippocampal atrophy (BHA) showed signs of having Geschwind syndrome, including hypergraphia.
    While epilepsy-induced hypergraphia is usually lateralized to the left cerebral hemisphere in the language areas, hypergraphia associated with lesions and other brain damage usually occurs in the right cerebral hemisphere. Lesions to the right side of the brain usually cause hypergraphia because they can disinhibit language function on the left side of the brain. Hypergraphia has also been known to be caused by right hemisphere strokes and tumors.
    Lesions to Wernicke's area (in the left temporal lobe) can increase speech output, which can sometimes manifest itself in writing

Fits right in this thread.

Thanked by 1uptime