Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mobile Sysadmin?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mobile Sysadmin?

Hi Everyone,

We are currently trying to conduct some research and it would be great if you could help us out!

We're interested to hear if any of you folks already do, or would like to do, any administration of your VPS "On The Go". Would you find it useful to be able to perform reimages, manipulate power functions, or see some stats about your VPS while you're out on the run? What about getting a notification on your mobile device that your bill is overdue? Or how about a free "Remote Ping" service where you get a notification if we can't ping your VPS from a remote location? How about easy access to the "Out of Band" console of your server?

While we can't tell you what we have exactly in the pipeline, it's not exactly hard to guess from my questions above.....

Any comments are very much appreciated

Cheers

Jonny

Evorack.com

Comments

• Great idea, mainly because I use my mobile more than my computer.

• Sounds like a neat idea, especially out of the office times.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

All pretty much exists in various apps. Combined and targeted functionality specific to your brand would be a good marketing tool IMO. I just found the buyvm app someone made the other day...

• Thanks for the good comments folks. It is something that we are very seriously looking into!

Any more comments or ideas would be appreciated

• There was a site which has a mobile app for managing/controlling, but now it's in deadpool...

Hope I am remembering it correctly, or maybe some old client of there can tell us more.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

I have experimented with mobile panel. Seems like 40% of my user base are using it. Start, stop, restart, billing, ticketing. Vps panel is openvz web panel. I have custom billing all functions are feed thru api of booth. Realy easy to implement. If you are using whcms or hostbill it is even easyer.

• @drserver wow! That's a very large % of your userbase using it! Thanks for this stat!

To be honest with you i have less than 100 customers. People loved it because it is practical. Today everyone has smartphone with internet who is doing any online business... so i think that mobile panel is natural way of following your client needs...

Check access logs from your currrent panel and there is great possibility that you will be very suprised

• Is everyone round here iPhone fans or Android fans?

edited November 2013

@Jonny_Evorack said:
    Is everyone round here iPhone fans or Android fans?

Oh now you've done it.

My guess is somewhere around 3/4 android fans and 1/4 iPhone fans. The android fans here tend to get angry if you don't like their phone though so...we usually don't talk about it.

• @jarland oh dear....slowly backs off

If it helps, I'm an Android phone guy but an iPad tablet guy?

Don't worry, we're mulling over Apps for both devices. It's just a matter of which we do first! :)

There's a lot of good frameworks for building ios and android in one. These days there's little need for ObjC for apps that aren't using the latest GPU functions at high usage levels.

• iPhone fans of course