Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vps with cdn can handle more traffic than dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vps with cdn can handle more traffic than dedicated server

mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

Hi
I tested two wordpress sites , one hosted on vps with cdn and other hosted on dedicated server without cdn . The site on vps handled all the traffic but the dedicated server failed and I got 500 Internal Server Error
Note . I tested them using server stress tools like flood.io

Comments

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

if that's true . Why would I pay for dedicated server if I can handle more traffic with vps+cdn . It would be cheaper

• Shared hosting is cheaper than vps+cdn. Thank you.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Any difference between the config on the 2?

If not, then the config is probably not very well optimised and the CDN is taking the load via caching, etc.

I don't know what stack you're running but you can "over"-tweak things like php-fpm and it'll be fast up to the point it runs out of memory.

• Do you have enough knowledge to setup and tune dedicated server rightly?

Mr_Tom said: I don't know what stack you're running but you can "over"-tweak things like php-fpm and it'll be fast up to the point it runs out of memory.

I am using plesk control panel with php-fpm served by nginx . I increased the memory limit for php from 2gb to 8 gb but I am still getting 60% error rate

• wrong, VPS + CDN can handle more traffic than a badly configured dedicated server. Configure your dedicated server properly, optimize it properly and it will be a completely different story. Let's not draw conclusions based on a single test and without any accurate benchmarks done.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @mustafamw3 said:
    if that's true . Why would I pay for dedicated server if I can handle more traffic with vps+cdn . It would be cheaper

What you need is traffics/throughput via CDN and not dedicated resources. That's the answer.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • How about Dedicated + CDN?

mustafamw3 said: I am using plesk control panel with php-fpm served by nginx . I increased the memory limit for php from 2gb to 8 gb but I am still getting 60% error rate

Are you using an identical plesk setup on the VPS too? If not it's not a fair comparison to begin with.

Just increasing php's memory limit isn't optimising the stack. If the database is slowing the request, no amount of memory thrown at PHP will speed it up.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3

Mr_Tom said: Just increasing php's memory limit isn't optimising the stack. If the database is slowing the request, no amount of memory thrown at PHP will speed it up.

>
    How to increase resource limit of database in plesk?

mustafamw3 said: How to increase resource limit of database in plesk?

I'm not familiar with Plesk, but in terms of MySQL/Maria there are various things that can be changed depending on the table type, etc. Adding missing indexes can help, etc.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2019

What sort of traffic was being pushed through? A CDN is only going to handle certain things, would be interested to see what test setup was created for this (specs/traffic/numbers - all of the numbers!)

• @mustafamw3 said:

You are doing a stress test using a synthetic load. Real life loads will be different.

Synthetic loads only stimulate users browsing, which a CDN caches. You can achieve similar result in dedi by caching your WordPress site using a plugin.

Real loads include users posting comments and such, which a dedi will handle better then a VPS due to resource limits.

• poissonpoisson Member
    edited November 2019

I try to go as static as I can for my web servers. I don't fancy databases and server side scripts; I avoid them if I can help it so that I can stick to low end boxes and they still perform like a champ, especially when paired with a CDN.

edited November 2019

HostMedia said: What sort of traffic was being pushed through? A CDN is only going to handle certain things, would be interested to see what test setup was created for this (specs/traffic/numbers - all of the numbers!)

Request Method: GET
    image https://imgur.com/sK14Uwk

• Observation: I walk past Lamborghini idling at red light.
    Conclusion: I am faster than a sports car.

Thanked by 1eingress
  • A short man on stilts is taller than a tall man without stilts.

• creep said: Shared hosting is cheaper than vps+cdn. Thank you.

Free shared hosting is the best.
    hi5 and myspace profiles are the best for hosting.