Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH auto-renewed server that was set to manual renewal
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH auto-renewed server that was set to manual renewal

darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
edited October 2019 in General

I have one of the old legacy Kimsufi '2G' servers, which I decided a few months back that I don't want any more, so I set it to manual renewal with the intention of not paying.

Come renewal day, it was set to "suspended", as you would expect. However, the next day I found they had taken payment for an entire extra year from my saved card, without warning.

I have contacted them through tickets and email, to both Kimsufi and OVH support. Kimsufi were quick to respond, fobbing me off and saying it it OVH's problem as it is a legacy server. OVH are yet to respond after 1 week.

So I'm left wondering, has anyone else had this happen? What was the outcome? If I chargeback, am I likely to be successful and will it result in a permaban?

Even more scary, the option to delete my saved card details is greyed out in their panel. Lesson learned, never sign up for any kind of auto renewal by card!

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited October 2019

OVH changed how it works. You now have to manually actually cancel it.

If you set up manual, they charge you later.

It's been that way for more than a year now.

If you don't pay or chargeback, say goodbye to using OVH and their brands in the future.

Like Amitz's always says, the end is always right around a corner.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited October 2019

The weird thing is that I didn't have to do any kind of special cancellation for an identical Kimsufi 2G server within the past year (Jan 2019) - was able to cancel it via switching to manual renewal. Just like every other server provider ever!

I think they are stretching what they can get away with: saving card details with no means of deleting them, taking payment when I have opted out to the best of my knowledge, and contractually moving the goalposts after taking payment (none of this crap was in the terms when I last paid them)

Guess I'm left to weigh up fighting back against scummy business practices vs the amount I save by not going to one of their competitors

Don't use OVH then.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

It's a Halloween spook.

Scary indeed.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Here's an idea for you, why don't you just call them and speak to the billing team? They might be able to give you a hand with it.

Oh right, yeah I forgot we were OVH support :joy:

Thanked by 2DP alilet
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

The best way to guarantee things work is to use their API pages to terminate the server.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • @darkimmortal

In general, manual renewal not= cancellation

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited October 2019

@Jord said:
    Here's an idea for you, why don't you just call them and speak to the billing team? They might be able to give you a hand with it.

Sure, that'll be the next step. I'm in no rush to call about a Kimsufi server, no doubt they will find some way to weasel that into charging me, as it is not sold as having phone support

No need for that, moderator or no moderator, there's enough threadshitting here. Close or delete the thread if you wish

• @angstrom said:
    In general, manual renewal not= cancellation

I totally get that, if this was a standard recurring contract service, some sort of explicit cancellation would be needed. But the fact that I can flip a switch to manual billing, and then be charged anyway, seems more like a bug than anything else. If it had been manual billing all along, the service would have just cancelled by itself at expiration date.

Certainly not a bug.

Now, manual billing resulting to cancellation, that was a bug.

• better call saul !

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep
    edited October 2019

@darkimmortal said:

@Jord said:

Sure, that'll be the next step. I'm in no rush to call about a Kimsufi server, no doubt they will find some way to weasel that into charging me, as it is not sold as having phone support

No need for that, moderator or no moderator, there's enough threadshitting here. Close or delete the thread if you wish

It's called banter sir, lighten up.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • iirc manual payment server will automatically cancelled if one doesn't pay before due date?

• @deank said:
    Certainly not a bug.

Now, manual billing resulting to cancellation, that was a bug.

First I've ever heard of a service that is paid for upfront with no contract working this way, especially in this industry. Are you saying that when someone pays $10 for a year of low end VPS, the company has the right to send in debt collectors when they don't pay the following year?

edited October 2019

Yes, happens pretty often by German providers.

The 10 dollar invoice will be 100 by time it gets to you though. Debt collector's share so to speak.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • @deank said:
    Yes, happens pretty often by German providers.

The 10 dollar invoice will be 100 by time it gets to you though. Debt collector's share so to speak.

Wow I was blissfully naive to the state of the industry

I want off Mr bones wild ride

edited October 2019

Like I said, mostly by German hosts and few UK hosts. OVH isn't unlikely to push for it and they aren't known to but I reckon you will get on their record if you don't pay.

• sinsin Member

darkimmortal said: The weird thing is that I didn't have to do any kind of special cancellation for an identical Kimsufi 2G server within the past year (Jan 2019) - was able to cancel it via switching to manual renewal. Just like every other server provider ever!

That's how it still works for me, I've had my Kimsufis and OVH VPSes canceled by switching to manual payment and just letting them expire.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal