Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for recommendation for a VPS provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for recommendation for a VPS provider

Hello,

We would like to have some opinions from you guys.
We are launching a TCP back-end application that we want deployed on multiple servers across the world.

So we are looking for a provider to do this with.

We have a few requirements:

• Should have many locations across the world to pick from
  • Should have images so we can easily clone a VPS instance to another
  • Should have proper billing (i.e. no top-up/credits, they should just charge our creditcard once per month for all the instances)
  • Should also have a decent amount of bandwidth, preferably unlimited

DDoS protection would also be a nice to have, but not necessarily a requirement.

The price is not really a big factor, as long as it is not something astronomical.

I hope you guys have some good ideas, because we ourselves have looked at a couple providers and none truly meet all the requirements.

Looking forward to some replies

Regards

Comments

• Vultr

• @drivex said:
    Vultr

We already have an account with Vultr to try it out and it looks pretty good but it seems to be prepaid credits

• Upcloud has automated billing, but no ddos protection and not so many locations

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited October 2019

Linode, DO, Vultr and AWS Lightsail have distributed presence and are cheap. About unlimited bandwidth do you really need it?

Edit: Vultr isn't prepaid: All servers on your account are billed hourly up to the monthly rate cap. The hourly rate is determined by dividing the monthly rate by 672 hours (28 days). If your server is online for more than 672 hours in a calendar month, you will only be billed the monthly rate. Accumulated charges are invoiced to your account on the 1st of every month.

• Lunanode

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

You might look for an openstack provider that has multiple locations. As long as they have locations in the countries you'd like, I believe it would probably meet your needs.

• Vultr, DO, Linode, AWS, Google Cloud.

• Not linked here that often but one of my favorite providers with top notch servers:
    https://ipax.at

Or if you are so kind to use my afflink:
    https://www.ipax.at/rootserver-mieten/vserver-mieten/?prd= S

Its only one location but their service and servers are awsome!
    And Austria is nice when it comes to online privacy too, maybe that is important for you.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Anyone mention Hetzner?

• Vultr has 9 countries, Hostdoc has 8.

• anybody else inclined to read between the lines and want to know more about the intended use before responding to these types of requests?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2019

@uptime said:
    anybody else inclined to read between the lines and want to know more about the intended use before responding to these types of requests?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 post on day of registration, no visits since then, I think we are wasting our time here. Or maybe not.

sandstone is quarried, but use might be for mining

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

They're coming out of the woodwork :smiley:

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

@vyas11 said:
    we are wasting our time

well ... sure, no doubt about that. :) That's what I'm here for.

sandstone is quarried, but use might be for mining

hmmm ... hadn't thought of that but I guess that may still be one of the usual suspects, along with "cold email outreach" and "traffic exchange"

or whatever - I'm not in a position to authoritatively assess relative likelihood of specific flavors of online shenanigans - and this particular request may in fact be totally legit.

But the smells that tend to trigger my "take a closer look" mode are generally requests involving some combination of:

• multiple IP addresses
    • multiple / ephemeral instances
    • hourly billing
    • free trials (or in this case, insisting on post-paid billing)
    • high bandwidth

Anyway, I'm guessing OP would (hopefully) understand and be able to address such concerns, even in a general way - and some more specific info about their application would probably be most helpful for finding a suitable provider as well.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited November 2019

How about a KVM resource pool with 11 13 locations (aff) for $6.95 or a cheaper OpenVZ pool (aff) also with 11 13 locations for $4.95? Can upgrade resources immediately through the panel.

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs