Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does bandwidth usage factor in to hourly-billed VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How does bandwidth usage factor in to hourly-billed VPS?

edited October 2019 in General

I'm thinking of using some hourly-billed VPS for some tasks that will last a few days max. I'm looking to use LunaNode and Hetzner Cloud and hourly-billing seems quite straight forward until I thought about bandwidth usage.

Consider a simple plan with 1TB BW. With a 1Gbps pipe you can conceivably use up all those resources in under three hours. Would I have to pay the full month allocation for the VPS (since I used up all the bandwidth for that plan) or just the duration in which the VPS was active?

I couldn't find much documentation so any help would be great, thanks!

Comments

• From Lunanode website

Bandwidth Pooling
    We bill bandwidth on a per-calendar-month basis. Your bandwidth allocation in a particular region for the month is the sum of the contributions from your VMs, which is calculated by dividing the bandwidth allocation included in your VM plan by the fraction of time that your VM was active in the month.

For instance, if you have one s.1 VM (which includes 2000 GB monthly bandwidth) active in Toronto for the entire month, and another that you had only provisioned halfway into the month, then your bandwidth allocation in Toronto for the month would be 3000 GB.

Bandwidth usage is the sum of incoming and outgoing traffic across all of your VMs. If you exceed your bandwidth allocation, additional bandwidth is $0.003/GB ($3/TB). You can opt to shutoff your VMs before your bandwidth allocation is exceeded from your Account Policies. You can monitor your current bandwidth allocation and usage from the panel dashboard.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Thanks. Do you know if this policy is pretty general across most providers?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Check their ToS? Bandwidth usage for hourly type services are quite clear to prevent abuse.

• I know AWS lightsail and hetzner cloud do the same, so yes it seems to be the standard way