Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dropped packets - how many is normal?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dropped packets - how many is normal?

So I recently started playing with netdata. Turns out one of my KVM servers is dropping a lot of incoming packets - consistently around 50-60 each second.

The server is basically idle. I can see the dropped count increasing with watch ifconfig ens3 looking under RX/dropped.

I did try exploring with tcpdump: it shows lots of ARP and "ICMP6 neighbor solicitation" packets. The server has IPv6 disabled at the kernel, so I guess I should expect a few dropped packets from that, but 60/second seemed surprising!

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited October 2019

Let your host know.
    Then cancel your plans with them OR chargeback.
    Then sue for mental damage.

Thanked by 1notty

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Das nicht gut

• None, null, nill, zero. Packets must be delivered no matter what.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

If you can see them in your OS that means they are dropped by your kernel.

Thanked by 2Janevski notty
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2019

I hate this meme but it’s too perfect for the thread: https://cloud.donnell.online/index.php/s/YDJokepoiWJ8cmM

(Yes I only based this on the thread title)

Thanked by 1notty
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

notty said: The server is basically idle. I can see the dropped count increasing with watch ifconfig ens3 looking under RX/dropped.

This means nothing. Packets can be dropped for various reasons, including due to being not addressed to your host (or to any multicast group it's a member of, or as you noticed, if you have IPv6 disabled). Run a long ping or mtr to measure if you have any actual packet loss.

• Do a tcp speed test.

You won't be able to achieve the advertised high speeds if there's even a slight loss.

• Thanks for the advice and Dr Who memes.

So I ran a couple of long tests with ping 8.8.8.8 and actually there was a small amount of packet loss (around 1%) but I'm not sure if that's relevant.

It looks like the 60 packets being dropped per second are all "ICMP6 neighbor solicitation". The tcpdump logs are full of this sort of thing:

16:09:46.038688 IP6 fe80::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx > xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx: ICMP6, neighbor solicitation, who has xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:dead:babe:f00d:cafe, length 32

Yes, note the "fun" IPv6 address... not sure what to make of that too... perhaps someone is sending me encoded messages!

• @notty said:
    Yes, note the "fun" IPv6 address... not sure what to make of that too... perhaps someone is sending me encoded messages!

That's Hexspeak.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • notty said: not sure what to make of that too... perhaps someone is sending me encoded messages!

Have you noticed how they put cabbages inside salads?
    Well, that's pretty much the same thing.

• LOL what is this forum I have joined??

So just to ensure I have understood correctly,

• IPv4 = Lettuce
    • IPv6 = Cabbage
    • I went to the "dead babe f00d" cafe and ordered some salad
    • But instead of lettuce I ended up getting cabbage
    • In fact someone started firing 60 cabbages at me every second
    • But it's ok, because they are multicast cabbages and can be ignored