Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS providers with high uptime & SLA needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS providers with high uptime & SLA needed

Hello folks,
For an upcoming project, i‘m looking for a provider which guarantees at least 99,99% uptime and SLA. Which providers could fit my needs? The only one which comes to mind is upcloud and linode, didn‘t read much good things about vultr. Amazon, Google and Azure are out of scope. And load balancing / two different vps at different providers not possible at the clients application level.

Specs:
2+ vCPUs
4GB+ RAM
80GB+ SSD or NVMe
1 Gbit
10 TB+ traffic

Budget: max 50 dollars / month

As for location: No Germany and no Hetzner because of their shitty peering to DTAG.

Comments

• Linode has solid services; my VPS at Fremont had no unexpected downtime during the whole last year, only 15 min scheduled maintenance.

Thanked by 2drivex Cappuccino
  • @hostdoc, @HostSlick @inceptionhosting could be your starting point(s). except for the disk space the doc has something right in your ballpark. If you search through the discussions, you will find similar offers from the other two

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

OVH might be someone to look at.

• @Jord said:

Not sure if that‘s a good idea, because their shitty support in case something happens

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@drivex said:

@Jord said:

Not sure if that‘s a good idea, because their shitty support in case something happens

I must admit, their support is a bit slow. But if you ring them they are pretty good. Though saying that I did ask a question the other day and it was answered within an hour. Which surprised me.

• cirrus_cloudcirrus_cloud Member
    edited October 2019

https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/

Monitoring & alerts, cloud firewalls, 99.99% uptime SLA, 24/7 world-class support and more.

Edit: Oh yeah, 10 TB of bandwidth might be an issue with Digital Ocean since they charge $10/TB.

Well, I'll suggest https://lunanode.com in any case.

OVH? https://www.ovh.com/world/vps/vps-cloud.xml

And here's a couple other ideas: https://vpsranked.com/

Thanked by 1drivex
  • Maybe check @Clouvider

Seems to be coming around £37.33 GBP.

https://console.clouvider.co.uk/cart/sas-flexicloud/

Thanked by 2drivex Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@jetchirag said:
    Maybe check @Clouvider

Thanks for the mention!

drivex said: Hello folks,

For an upcoming project, i‘m looking for a provider which guarantees at least 99,99% uptime and SLA

We have an 100% SLA.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

My vote for Vultr and @Clouvider
    You should try any of them

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Clouvider said:
    We have an 100% SLA.

100% SLA does not exist, expect on paper.
    Marketing bullshit strikes again.

I also have the feeling that people misunderstand what SLA means, often enough.

Thanked by 2drivex maverickp
  • @Neoon said:

@Clouvider said:
    We have an 100% SLA.

How does that make any sense

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • drivexdrivex Member
    edited October 2019

@Neoon said:

@Clouvider said:
    We have an 100% SLA.

Indeed. I know the SLA isn‘t for uptime, it‘s for compensation if things go wrong and guarantees of response times etc. You can have 100% SLA even if your uptime is only 98%. But then the provider has to pay - depends on the SLA.

That‘s why upcloud is my favorite, they try their best and give 50x compensation if things go down for more than five minutes.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited October 2019

@php_friends has a great uptime and DTAG peering (in frankfurt a.m. germany)

https://php-friends.de/vserver-ssd/vserver-l-ssd-g3 (if you could lower your bandwith requirement to 5TB the vServer M would also fit your needs)

8 dedicated Cores on a Xeon Gold 6140, 40 GB DDR4 RAM, 140GB NVMe, 1G port with 10TB traffic (ddos protected with arbor peakflow) for 26,99€/m incl. VAT

Thanked by 1dataforest
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2019

@SirFoxy said:

@Neoon said:

@Clouvider said:
    We have an 100% SLA.

100% in terms of uptime does not mean anything besides:
    If your VPS goes down, your provider pays you for the time it was down.

That's it, it does not really bring any benefits.
    You should always choose a decent provider and read views, not that I want to say that @Clouvider is bad, but just choosing it by 100% does not make really sense.

Its just like a premium tage which does not have real value.
    If you need your application to be online anytime, you have to do far more then that.

For the rest, a vps from a decent provider is enough.

• @Neoon said:

@SirFoxy said:

@Neoon said:

@Clouvider said:
    We have an 100% SLA.

100% in terms of uptime does not mean anything besides:
    If your VPS goes down, your provider pays you for the time it was down.

That's it, it does not really bring any benefits.
    You should always choose a decent provider and read views, not that I want to say that @Clouvider is bad, but just choosing it by 100% does not make really sense.

Its just like a premium tage which does not have real value.
    If you need your application to be online anytime, you have to do far more then that.

For the rest, a vps from a decent provider is enough.

An SLA isn't a guarantee you'll get 100% it's a badge of confidence, or alternatively if not you'll be reimbursed. I don't think saying 100 % SLA doesn't exist is the right way to say it. Just say SLA doesn't mean uptime percentage.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • I don't think you'll find a VPS provide with 100% SLA. But you could find a provider with 95/98% or more uptime.

• 95/98%? Then i could host it at home lel

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited October 2019

Any hosts is going to claim that they are up 99 or 100% until shit happens and things go down.

The key point here is "shit". Nobody wants to go down voluntarily.

Last OVH downtime was due to a fiber getting cut during a construction in middle of nowhere. In other words, something that was out of their control.

Shit happens.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited October 2019

99,99% uptime guarantee? 0.005% for scheduled maintenance and 0.005% for unexpected outage? :lol:

• 99.99% uptime allows for about 1 minute per week downtime ...

... less than 5 minutes per month

... less than 1 hour per year

I see very few hosts willing to "guarantee" even 99.9% uptime (liteserver.nl is one)

though many actually manage to do better than that in reality.

I guess I'm left wondering why the emphasis on SLA "guarantee" rather than on established reputation and verifiable history of reliability.

Is it due only to some business / contractual / marketing requirement?

(Then it's really not clear to me how a forum called "lowendtalk" would necessarily be a great place to be looking for bespoke options in that department - Clouvider's presence here notwithstanding.)

If I'm reading this request all wrong, and there's a genuine interest in finding the best solution to minimize unexpected downtime - ignoring the relatively meaningless SLA "guarantee" - then that seems like a potentially more interesting discussion.

It might go something about like this: find short list of providers that have own "Tier whatever" datacenter or 24/7 hands-on support willing and able within shouting distance, onsite backup power, A+B power to the node, multiple network connections and so on. On the software side probably will be looking for some setup like kernelcare to allow patching for security updates without taking system offline. And so forth.

But if this is just about paperwork for a buzzword checklist, then idk.

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited October 2019

@uptime said:
    lowend onsite backup power

Thanked by 2uptime pike
  • If my calculations are correct, a single hamster is good for about 0.4 watts

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @uptime said:
    If my calculations are correct, a single hamster is good for about 0.4 watts

We could power a lowend VPS with 172 hamsters.

May the God Hamster bless your heart. Tks

Thanked by 1uptime
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited October 2019

@ITLabs said:

@uptime said:
    If my calculations are correct, a single hamster is good for about 0.4 watts

We could power a lowend VPS with 172 hamsters.

May the God Hamster bless your heart. Tks

For some chinese mini pc even 30 hamsters should be enough at 0.4 watts. Could be the perfect LET dedi hosted on some crappy residential line with LTE as backup route.

Thanked by 2ITLabs uptime
  • please tell me these hamsters are certified?

Thanked by 2ITLabs pike
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@deank said:
    Any hosts is going to claim that they are up 99 or 100% until shit happens and things go down.

The key point here is "shit". Nobody wants to go down voluntarily.

Last OVH downtime was due to a fiber getting cut during a construction in middle of nowhere. In other words, something that was out of their control.

Shit happens.

Number and diversity of the fibres was well within their control. Some providers go to such lengths as to compare maps of their fibres to make sure not a single point overlaps to avoid precisely situations like OVH allowed to happen that day.

Thanked by 3uptime pike vimalware
  • SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

I can give you:

SSD KVM Mega

SSD Storage: 80 GB
    RAM: 4 GB
    vCores: 4
    Port Upgrade: 1 Gbps
    B/W Upgrade: 10 TB
    99.9% SLA
    $46.80/mo with coupon: SPOOKEDVPS

• pikepike Veteran
    edited October 2019

@uptime said:
    please tell me these hamsters are certified?

@Clouvider said:
    Some providers go to such lengths as to compare maps of their fibres to make sure not a single point overlaps to avoid precisely situations like OVH allowed to happen that day.
    Thanked by (1): uptime

lol

Thanked by 2ITLabs uptime
  • I have used both Linode and DigitalOcean for the past 5 years and have experienced less than 10 minutes down time total. Both are world class Cloud providers

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Linode is a great choice, many features in their panel and they're up to date with new things which many aren't.