Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm developing a free knowledgebase article pack for Blesta and possibly other alternatives - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm developing a free knowledgebase article pack for Blesta and possibly other alternatives

2»

Comments

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited October 2019

@bikegremlin said:

@Mic-hael said:
    Hello, I bought the domain makemykb.com a few years ago with the intention of releasing a full hosting knowledgebase bundle for WHMCS hosting customers.

I got lazy, stalled the project, lost some of the stuff, started again many times. This time over, I've decided I want to instead release it for free, for Blesta right now. I have plenty of articles to work on and import, but I wanted to start a discussion as motiviation, and for any feedback.

I wholeheartedly welcome the effort.
    Both sharing the knowledge (for which I think can only enrich both the one sharing and the ones "using" it) and doing it in a structured, easy to navigate way.

It's nice of you to have provided the "importable" file versions, so they can be easily added to (Blesta?) knowledge-bases.

My level of knowledge and experience in hosting is not very high, but for what I do know, I've created how-to's in a similar fashion, as best as I could. Also tried to put it in a structured, logical order for easier navigation. Anyone who finds it helpful is free and welcome to use it, of course:

https://io.bikegremlin.com/toc/

Great stuff. I'm a new reader of your content :smile:

Edit: Also the level of detail you go in to is quite inspiring.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @Mic-hael @MikePT is there a guide on creating a full backup in DA?

My provider switched to DA from Cpanel and I think the business was sold and have new owner(s)? The domain whois has now become private. :/

Thanks!

Thanked by 2MichaelCee MikePT
    edited October 2019

@timelapse said:
    @Mic-hael @MikePT is there a guide on creating a full backup in DA?

My provider switched to DA from Cpanel and I think the business was sold and have new owner(s)? The domain whois has now become private. :/

Thanks!

Heyo, I'll add one :)

Login to your DirectAdmin User Account
    Select "Create/Restore Backups" from "Advanced Features" (or search it)
    Then click the create button in the bottom right.

If you can't see this page, your provider has likely disabled the option.

Edit: Article posted here!

Thanked by 3timelapse ITLabs MikePT
  • Thank you @Mic-hael ! I tried Googling but all I see were guides for DA with the old UI. I would've asked my provider but now they just close the tickets. I just opened 1, days ago and I checked today and it was closed. There was not even an email notification. I've checked their FB and a lot are commenting how their tickets were also not replied to and just closed... :(

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @Mic-hael I clicked Create backup but I wasnt asked where to save.

In Messages, it now says backup created. But it doesnt say where. May I know where it was saved? Or the default path where it is saved?

Thank you.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @timelapse said:
    @Mic-hael I clicked Create backup but I wasnt asked where to save.

In Messages, it now says backup created. But it doesnt say where. May I know where it was saved? Or the default path where it is saved?

Thank you.

Good shout! It should save to /user_root/backups

Thanked by 2timelapse ITLabs
  • @Mic-hael @MikePT

Has anyone encountered this issue with Let's encrypt? I tried generating a wildcard manually but get this error. The ssl failed to renew itself I think so I tried to generate manually.

Found wildcard domain name and http-01 challenge type, switching to dns-01 validation.
    DNS challenge test fail for _acme-challenge-test.[domain.com] IN TXT "pre-check", retrying...

Thanks!

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@timelapse said:
    @Mic-hael @MikePT

Has anyone encountered this issue with Let's encrypt? I tried generating a wildcard manually but get this error. The ssl failed to renew itself I think so I tried to generate manually.

Found wildcard domain name and http-01 challenge type, switching to dns-01 validation.
    DNS challenge test fail for _acme-challenge-test.[domain.com] IN TXT "pre-check", retrying...

Thanks!

Yep.

• When restorting a DA backup, do you just Restore it and everything will work ok? Or do you have to manually create the domains, subdomains, create the mysql db or edit the mysql db? Thanks!

• @timelapse said:
    When restorting a DA backup, do you just Restore it and everything will work ok? Or do you have to manually create the domains, subdomains, create the mysql db or edit the mysql db? Thanks!

You can restore the backup and it does everything :)

Thanked by 2timelapse MichaelCee
  • @seriesn said:

@timelapse said:
    When restorting a DA backup, do you just Restore it and everything will work ok? Or do you have to manually create the domains, subdomains, create the mysql db or edit the mysql db? Thanks!

Thank you. Even for Wordpress and apps installed by Softaculous?

• @timelapse said:

@seriesn said:

@timelapse said:

Thank you. Even for Wordpress and apps installed by Softaculous?

Yeap! 100% data restore :)

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • Unfortunately, the WP site now shows error establishing database connection. The app installed via Softaculous also now shows a db error

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@timelapse said:
    Unfortunately, the WP site now shows error establishing database connection. The app installed via Softaculous also now shows a db error

Sometimes the DA importer doesn't work very well, and misses a few things so you might need to go through everything and check the connection details.

Thanked by 2timelapse MikePT
  • @Jord said:

@timelapse said:
    Unfortunately, the WP site now shows error establishing database connection. The app installed via Softaculous also now shows a db error

Sometimes the DA importer doesn't work very well, and misses a few things so you might need to go through everything and check the connection details.

The DB was restored but the prefix added was my DA login account name on myw. Is there a way to rename the DBs?

I shouldve of asked @MikePT to rename my DA account name login instead so during restore, the prefix added was the same to that of my previous host.

Thank you @Jord :)

Thanked by 1MikePT

@timelapse said:

@Jord said:

@timelapse said:

The DB was restored but the prefix added was my DA login account name on myw. Is there a way to rename the DBs?

I shouldve of asked @MikePT to rename my DA account name login instead so during restore, the prefix added was the same to that of my previous host.

Just update the wp-config.php file to reflect the new DB name and username. Password should be the same.

Thanked by 3timelapse Ympker MikePT
  • @Jord said:

@timelapse said:

@Jord said:

@timelapse said:

Just update the wp-config.php file to reflect the new DB name and username. Password should be the same.

THANK YOU SIR PANDA THIS FIXED IT! :)

Thanked by 3Jord Ympker MikePT

@timelapse said:

@Jord said:

@timelapse said:

@Jord said:

@timelapse said:

No problem at all, glad it's all working now :)

Thanked by 1timelapse
  • @timelapse said:

@Jord said:

@timelapse said:

@Jord said:

@timelapse said:

If this didn't work, shafting the database with bamboo would have fixed it too.

Thanked by 2Jord MikePT

@poisson said:

@timelapse said:

@Jord said:

@timelapse said:

@Jord said:

@timelapse said:

If this didn't work, shafting the database with bamboo would have fixed it too.

Shafting anything with bamboo will always fix it :D

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@timelapse said:

@Jord said:

@timelapse said:

I can restore it for ya and keep the same prefix. 😁👍

• Waiting for blesta articles,how to setup the domain and packes and create invoices.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
    edited December 2019

@A_m_i_t said:
    Waiting for blesta articles,how to setup the domain and packes and create invoices.

Thanks for the suggestions! There's a start for package creation here:
    https://blesta.makemykb.com/plugin/support_manager/knowledgebase/view/80/how-to-create-a-package-in-blesta/11/

Of course, I'll go into more depth in the full release.

In terms of domains, there's mainly third-party functionality for that so any module in particular?

Yep, I'll create articles on "How to create an invoice" and "How to create a recurring invoice" for manual services.

Feel free to email any suggestions to support[at]makemykb.com - Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.