Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Request: VPS with 150GB+ storage. reliable and with firewall.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Request: VPS with 150GB+ storage. reliable and with firewall.

pablobpablob Member
edited September 2019 in Requests

Hello all,
i am after a low end VPS to use for backups.

needs to be:

• at or under $6 a month.
  • have a firewall in front of it that i can manage through the providers web panel
  • from a long time reliable provider
  • 1GB, 1 CPU should be enough
  • 100mps port speed or greater
  • west coast USA, singapore, or australia would be best

Comments

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited September 2019

How's this?
    1 VCore @ 3.2 GHz
    1TB Bandwidth @ 1 Gbps
    1GB ECC RAM
    1 IPv4
    250GB HDD
    Dallas or Kansas, I forget now.
    https://clientsarea.hostdoc.co.uk/cart.php?a=add&pid=671
    £1.99/ month
    £20/year

Firewall panel? Nope, sorry.

• I notice LetBox (@key900) has a simple firewall section in their WHMCS panel. I'm curious to know more about how this works myself, just a thought for further investigation.

(And, LetBox may have something in your budget with flexible block storage in Los Angeles)

Thanked by 2dahartigan ITLabs
  • LetBox normal BBox-1 LA normal plan has $4/m for 250GB storage ($3.5 regular + $0.5 storage). It has a firewall feature, which I personally never used. Or @key900 could do a better offer since he is doing 3TB for $7

You can use my aff link or non aff link to order ;)

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Good find @uptime and @sanvit, never noticed that firewall feature - nice! I usually just use iptables in my VPS though, but it's handy that there is a panel for the terminal averse ;)

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @dahartigan said:
    Good find @uptime and @sanvit, never noticed that firewall feature - nice! I usually just use iptables in my VPS though, but it's handy that there is a panel for the terminal averse ;)

I tend to use firewalls on the panel (if I use firewall at all) since it's easier to revert when I f**k up some rules :P

Thanked by 1uptime
  • just to confirm (I have been wondering) - I'm guessing the LetBox "firewall" interface in the WHMCS panel is used to control a firewall process on the VPS instance itself rather than some separate firewall ...? (So might only work for some standard installation from template?)

• @uptime said:
    just to confirm (I have been wondering) - I'm guessing the LetBox "firewall" interface in the WHMCS panel is used to control a firewall process on the VPS instance itself rather than some separate firewall ...? (So might only work for some standard installation from template?)

LetBox use Proxmox as the hypervisor, and a firewall is an integral part of Proxmox, from a networking perspective of how it works. You have a bridge adapter that the VMs communicate, through the host, and there's actually virtual adapters for each VM that is where the firewall sits.

Your VM -> virtual adaptor -> vmbr0 -> eth0 -> internet

If I'm wrong, I really want to be corrected because I use Proxmox daily lol

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs
  • i went with ramnode in the end

• @pablob said:
    i went with ramnode in the end

Probably a decent choice. I had a few vps with them years ago. Solid provider.

• @dahartigan said:

@uptime said:
    just to confirm (I have been wondering) - I'm guessing the LetBox "firewall" interface in the WHMCS panel is used to control a firewall process on the VPS instance itself rather than some separate firewall ...? (So might only work for some standard installation from template?)

LetBox use Proxmox as the hypervisor, and a firewall is an integral part of Proxmox, from a networking perspective of how it works. You have a bridge adapter that the VMs communicate, through the host, and there's actually virtual adapters for each VM that is where the firewall sits.

Your VM -> virtual adaptor -> vmbr0 -> eth0 -> internet

If I'm wrong, I really want to be corrected because I use Proxmox daily lol

Have you configured LetBox's firewall, though? I tried to configure a sample rule and got errors about the nic. Asked on Discourse and no response. So I'm curious if anyone is using that feature with Letbox.

• @TimboJones I haven't actually used their firewall. I will have a look and a little later today and see if it works..

Thanked by 1TimboJones