Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remote host closed connection in response to end of data (354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Remote host closed connection in response to end of data (354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>

Hello, i am sending an e-mail from my Linux server with Exim

and this is what i see on the unsent e-mail:

1282 SMTP>> DATA

31282 SMTP<< 250 2.1.0 Ok

31282 SMTP<< 250 2.1.5 Ok

31282 SMTP<< 354 End data with .

31282 SMTP>> writing message and terminating "."

31282 LOG: MAIN

31282 H=alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [172.217.218.26]: Remote host closed connection in response to end of data

31282 SMTP(close)>>

Please what is the cause of this? It fails for numerous messages and starting to happen once i switched IP of the mailserver hostname and in SPF record. Then i switched back before around 10 hours, but still the problem.

The cause may be also something different.

The mail is sent by external server php script via SMTP and this server which outputs above warning do the sending. I think it worked before.

Comments

• trusty33 said: starting to happen once i switched IP of the mailserver hostname and in SPF record

just guessing about two possible possibilities:

1) dropped connection due to spam filtering upstream (relating to new IP / SPF record)

2) MIME type not set for attachment (? something something data vs text)

I may be totally off about either of these, but would suggest you organize an experimental approach to limit the variables involved.

For example, if possible try sending a simple text message to another server that you control so you can examine logs at that end as well. Repeat experiment with data attachment. (And so on.)

Thanked by 1ehab
  • I would say to check the exim mail log file to pin point the actual reason behind the email failure.