Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Advice Starting my own Hosting Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need Advice Starting my own Hosting Server

Am looking forward to jailbreaking from shared hosting; its disappointment, lags and so on. Presently we own a reseller hosting with about 76 domain, not public hosting but for our Webdesign business. Recently I experiment on GCP the g1-small (1 vCPU, 1.7gb-ram), the speed was of site loading made me think we have been bewitched on the shared hosting, hence I felt owning a VPS will be nice so as to have more breathing space for resource usage. Less than 20 of our client consumes much resources. So far we have:

Domains: 76
Total Space Used: 84,467.29 MB
Total Bandwidth Used: 14,105.16 MB (as at 21st)
Total Bandwidth Used: 18,860.15 MB (as at 27th)

My questions are
1 => What Software (stack) should I be installing:
---- AM currently testing CyberPanel alternatively to Cpanel but it's just sad that I cannot configure the webmail, am yet to try others though
2 => What security measure should I put in place?
---- Am not sure what I should use but I know web server should be secure
3=> Am looking a minimal budget how much should I be looking at?
----(maybe $120/year I know that's crazy)
4=> What other recommendation

Comments

• mrclownmrclown Member
    edited September 2019

Buyvm (@Francisco) with DA will give you really great headroom for such usage.

Your bandwidth and disk usage aren't a lot. Do you also know your resource usage in your current shared hosting (like cpu/mem)? That will help you decide what need to be picked.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2019

@mrclown said:
    Buyvm (@Francisco) with DA will give you really great headroom for such usage.

Your bandwidth and disk usage aren't a lot. Do you also know your resource usage in your current shared hosting (like cpu/mem)? That will help you decide what need to be picked.

Could do a $7/month w/ a $1.25/month block storage to cover the extra storage.

$99.00/year total and it includes Softaculous if you want it.

Francisco

Thanked by 1benYahweh
  • mrclown said: Do you also know your resource usage in your current shared hosting (like cpu/mem)? That will help you decide what need to be picked.

I don't have info on the ram/cpu. We obtained the Master reseller through a third party who also refuse to disclose to use the hosting company but my findings on IP show Centrio Host.
    From Centrio Host Website it looks like we have 8 Core cpu + 12 / 16 GB (I confirm the cpu on WHMAMP)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@benYahweh said:

mrclown said: Do you also know your resource usage in your current shared hosting (like cpu/mem)? That will help you decide what need to be picked.

I don't have info on the ram/cpu. We obtained the Master reseller through a third party who also refuse to disclose to use the hosting company but my findings on IP show Centrio Host.
    From Centrio Host Website it looks like we have 8 Core cpu + 12 / 16 GB (I confirm the cpu on WHMAMP)

That's the whole server, not just you.

Francisco

• Depending location I would go with @Francisco at BuyVM. Choose from Luxembourg, New York or Las Vegas. You’ll get a full unlimited DA licence with Softaculous that will give you an immediate saving of $29/m for DA and $12/y for Softaculous. Although might want to consider CloudLinux as well which would be $11.95/m.

Have you managed a server previously?

Personally I wouldn’t consider using CyberPanel for a production environment but each to their own.

• benYahwehbenYahweh Member
    edited September 2019

Francisco said: That's the whole server, not just you.

>

Yes am aware.

In addition to the about, most of our websites (90%) are bunch WordPress and few Few Drupal Site.
    And we don't use Softaculous more comfortable staging offline and uploading

• benYahweh said: ---- Am not sure what I should use but I know web server should be secure

Do you (or someone on your team) have the skills to manage your own VPS or Dedicated? You should take into consideration the required knowledge in Linux installation, configuration and hardening, software installation and configuration (cloudlinux, control panel, billing solution, imunify360, web server, database, cache etc etc etc) and daily maintenance (updates, patches etc etc).

benYahweh said: 1 => What Software (stack) should I be installing:

CloudLinux to isolate each tenant, control panel (DirectAdmin!?), billing (Blesta!?) and the knowledge to install and configure LAMP/LEMP stack, antivirus, mail (MailChannels, MXroute!?) etc etc etc...

benYahweh said: 4=> What other recommendation

Honestly, if your core business is webdesign I would stick with it. Just find other reliable shared hosting provider (BuyShared @Francisco, MyW @MikePT) and keep profiting.

Whatever your decision, I wish you the best of luck.

Thanked by 2uptime benYahweh
  • I appreciate all the comments so far. Looking forward to BuyVM soon. If I did not start working on the adventure this time I may not at all, every sysadmin started somewhere. I have about 10 clients I could use for the science provided that I planned out a weekly backup.

I even forgot to stated that am going for non-paid solution aside Hardware fee. Since BuyVM promised free DirectAdmin it's a good option for me.

ITLabs said: Do you (or someone on your team) have the skills to manage your own VPS or Dedicated?

No am the one moving the idea of the self-hosted server if it worked out am sure they will like it.
    On the area of Linux, I have switch from windows to Ubuntu it over a year now also I have being using gcp to learn and i haven't seen any task too hard for me or impossible. I can SSH, use vim, and use google to sovle issues

Thanked by 2ITLabs angstrom
  • @benYahweh said:

ITLabs said: Do you (or someone on your team) have the skills to manage your own VPS or Dedicated?

No am the one moving the idea of the self-hosted server if it worked out am sure they will like it.
    On the area of Linux, I have switch from windows to Ubuntu it over a year now also I have being using gcp to learn and i haven't seen any task too hard for me or impossible. I can SSH, use vim, and use google to sovle issues

I have no doubt about that, nothing is impossible when we're willing to learn. Just plan ahead and create your contingency plan. Be happy and profit!

Thanked by 1cazrz
  • As @ITLabs mentioned you need to have contingency. Backups are important and having the backups on another dc/provider is recommended. Then learn how to restore your backups to another provider/dc.

Take a slice and slab at buyvm and learn DA+softaculous. Since you are setting up shared hosting I also suggest Cloudlinux. Then setup your offsite backups.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited October 2019

Remember one thing.

When you are hosting off someone else's server, you will always have someone to blame when things go south.

Nothing looks sadder than a dude blaming his host for lack of support when he rented an unmanaged dedi.