Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Centos 8 was released ! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Centos 8 was released !

13»

Comments

• cybertech said: possible to upgrade from Centos 7 to 8?

no official centos in place upgrades

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

eva2000 said: no official centos in place upgrades

Because they're too enterprise for that.

• raindog308 said: Because they're too enterprise for that.

I'm with you on some of your Centos complaints but why would you in place upgrade? Build new in parallel, test, and then swap over.

Side note: RHEL does have an in-place upgrade option ( at least they did for RHEL7 ).

• skorous said: I'm with you on some of your Centos complaints but why would you in place upgrade? Build new in parallel, test, and then swap over.

Side note: RHEL does have an in-place upgrade option ( at least they did for RHEL7 ).

RHEL 7 to RHEL 8 does have in place upgrade but CentOS folks decided not to port and work on that support for CentOS 7 to 8 from what I read on CentOS forums.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

skorous said: I'm with you on some of your Centos complaints but why would you in place upgrade? Build new in parallel, test, and then swap over.

Yes, that is what I usually do.

However, I've done Debian in-place for several versions on the same box and it's worked just fine. They're just files.

• It sure sounds like Centos is dead to the lowend VPS market.

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

Going to test this out more, so far it's been fine.

• noezdenoezde Member, Patron Provider

Excited to test it. Many of our customers are using it right now. Time will tell if it's really better

• $7, debian, ktnxbye.

• sinsin Member

How's everyone liking it so far? I just installed CentOS 8 on a new VULTR High Frequency VM the other day and I'm really liking it. I've been using Debian and FreeBSD on my servers for the longest time but now that I have spent some time with CentOS 8 I'm really impressed with it. I love selinux and how I can lock down all my Wordpress sites to read-only. The module streams are great too. Right now the only thing I'm missing is EPEL doesn't seem to have a vnstat package available yet.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited October 2019

@sin said:
    How's everyone liking it so far? I just installed CentOS 8 on a new VULTR High Frequency VM the other day and I'm really liking it. I've been using Debian and FreeBSD on my servers for the longest time but now that I have spent some time with CentOS 8 I'm really impressed with it. I love selinux and how I can lock down all my Wordpress sites to read-only. The module streams are great too. Right now the only thing I'm missing is EPEL doesn't seem to have a vnstat package available yet.

Or nload.

Edit: actually, I think I just built from source. See if you can for vnstat.

Thanked by 1sin
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2019

Works well. I moved my sites over to CentOS 8 with mainline nginx two or three days ago. It is missing some of the third party stuff but it'll eventually get there.

Thanked by 1sin
  • LyraHostingLyraHosting Member, Host Rep

i wouldn't recommend it for now, not stable yet

• Just installed Centos 8+ DA panel without problems, running solid so far so good :)

• @LyraHosting said:

What didn't work for you?

• LyraHostingLyraHosting Member, Host Rep

@plumberg said:

@LyraHosting said:

nothing super considerable, but some issues with MariaDB that forced me to switch back

• @LyraHosting said:

@plumberg said:

@LyraHosting said:

nothing super considerable, but some issues with MariaDB that forced me to switch back

interesting. thnx

• @plumberg said:

@LyraHosting said:

@plumberg said:

@LyraHosting said:

interesting. thnx

@eva2000 reported an issue during installation. Was that the problem you faced?

• ITLabs said: @eva2000 reported an issue during installation. Was that the problem you faced?

Yeah Jira bug confirmed at https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-20673

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @eva2000 reported an issue during installation. Was that the problem you faced?

Weird , I did not had any problems with installing MariaDB 10.4 maybe just lucky then ?