Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the recommended stripe size for SSD RAID 10?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the recommended stripe size for SSD RAID 10?

Hi guys,

I got a server that has Dell Perc H730P mini Raid controller.
I want to create a RAID 10 array of 4x Samsung SSD disks: Samsung MZ7LM960HCHP

The server will run Windows server 2019, hosting few websites with few intensive SQL databases.

What is the stripe size should I use for the RAID 10 array?

Thanks.

Comments

• jonathanspwjonathanspw Member, Host Rep

128k or 256k are both pretty accepted.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • @jonathanspw said:

I did some benchmark using Crystal Disk Mark and saw that the best results are with 1MB stripe size setting

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I don't know about Windows but usually any multiple of actual sectorsize (e.g. 4k) is OK. Which stripe size is actually the best for a given case depends an the controllers cache memory (as well its accu capacity and state) and computing power, the interface (Sata 2, 3... SAS x, etc.) and your "paranoia" level (large stripe sizes are less safe).

• jsg said: large stripe sizes are less safe

Can you share some more info about this?
    As I understand, the stripe size in RAID settings is not actually the disk stripe size.

• jonathanspwjonathanspw Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2019

@comXyz said:

@jonathanspw said:

I did some benchmark using Crystal Disk Mark and saw that the best results are with 1MB stripe size setting

What sort of workload, though? It will always vary based on workload and larger stripes will perform better for sequential loads.

• @jonathanspw said:

@comXyz said:

@jonathanspw said:

What sort of workload, though? It will always vary based on workload and larger stripes will perform better for sequential loads.

Mainly intensive databases

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Go with default..
    But you can use 256k which is good

• thanks guys, I decided to go with default recommended settings for database in the RAID settings, which has stripe size of 1Mb