Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who’s the victim?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who’s the victim?

Today Chinese Tech Giant announced that the newest phone model Mate30 will not support Google Play Store ( Trump banned Huawei in the US, as a result Google can not sell anything to Chinese company). The question is who’s the real victim here? Huawei or Google or the people in between?

Comments

• So they will continue to use Android OS in their handset but without Play Store i guess? Xiaomi does same for chinese market they dont include play store in their Android based MIUI rom

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited September 2019

@HostMem said:
    Today Chinese Tech Giant announced that the newest phone model Mate30 will not support Google Play Store ( Trump banned Huawei in the US, as a result Google can not sell anything to Chinese company). The question is who’s the real victim here? Huawei or Google or the people in between?

Just because they are not shipping it with Google Play Store doesn't mean that if you have root on the phone you can't install it. These are two different things. Yes, barrier to entry may be a bit higher, but it doesn't preclude you from being able to install it your self. They just can't package it with the phone since they can't license it.

The impact will be minimal as those who decide to use the phone will know there is a barrier to entry going into purchasing such a phone anyways and be ready to jump through the hoops needed to make it work as they need. There is generally a trade off of newer better technology for poorer software anyways in those phones. Most end up changing away from MIUI and such anyways, when choosing to use the phones (negating this issue). Those who can't deal with it, were not going to buy that phone to begin with, instead they go to their local cell store and say, "iPhone 4, where is the iPhone 4, I need an iPhone 4 (The one with the bigger GeeeeBeeees!)".

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• deankdeank Member, Troll

You sure love political stories.

• @deank said:
    You sure love political stories.

No I do not and you can not make me.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

That's my point actually. OP likes to bring up political stories to mud the water.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • @deank said:
    That's my point actually. OP likes to bring up political stories to mud the water.

Got to get the tag, Got to get the tag, Got to get the tag. When you have nothing pertinent to say you need to chum the waters.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@HostMem said:

All three IMO.

Huawei suffers from being excluded, Google suffers from being forced(?) to exclude a BIG customer with a huge user base but also from the much increased risk of international companies turning away from them and we, the people, suffer because of those political games and because many of us will not be able to root a smartphone and to bypass the sanctions.

Plus there is a fourth group losing, at least mid- to long-term: the Americans. Reason: If the chinese corporations succeed in establishing alternatives - which they are virtually forced to do - then the american companies will lose their almost-monopoly and many (as in "hundreds of millions") potential customers as well as whole markets. With other countries it might be different, but China having almost 1.5 billion people chinese companies can establish national alternatives first and later international ones.

Btw, I'm not so sure about people just rooting their device. From what I've seen it seems that Huawei has stopped to provide kits, sdks and support for that and it has become significantly harder to root their phones and tablets. But maybe they changed back now with the sanctions against them; I don't know because I'm not a big fan of their phones anyway.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • Huawei devices are just as bad as the others.

Huawei could overcome the blackmail by endorsing free software, but I predict that they'll make their own dirty platform.

The users are as victim as if they were using another brand.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jsg said: Btw, I'm not so sure about people just rooting their device.

The non-rootability/sealed OS nature of many devices today saddens me. Tablets, phones, many laptops, even some desktops are designed as black boxes. Sealed hardware leads to sealed operating systems leads to sealed applications and pretty soon you're using your computing devices only in the manner proscribed by the manufacturer.

But then, I hail from the Altair era and am something of a dinosaur.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@raindog308 said:
    The non-rootability/sealed OS nature of many devices today saddens me. Tablets, phones, many laptops, even some desktops are designed as black boxes. Sealed hardware leads to sealed operating systems leads to sealed applications and pretty soon you're using your computing devices only in the manner proscribed by the manufacturer.

I feel with you and fully agree. But at least in part the culprit is complexity (which often is an indicator of lacking design quality) which makes even open source systems de facto "sealed" for most people.

A sad state.

• @AuroraZ said:

@deank said:

Got to get the tag, Got to get the tag, Got to get the tag. When you have nothing pertinent to say you need to chum the waters.

lol for sure want that tag too. I just feel like technologies innovations and great collabrations are being stopped by political issues. Why google cannot be in China and why Huawei cannot be in the US? Thats why people predict that the planet earth will be destroyed when human being reach the highest level of civilization.

My personal opinion.

• @HostMem said:

@AuroraZ said:

@deank said:

lol for sure want that tag too. I just feel like technologies innovations and great collabrations are being stopped by political issues. Why google cannot be in China and why Huawei cannot be in the US? Thats why people predict that the planet earth will be destroyed when human being reach the highest level of civilization.

My personal opinion.

I understand what you are saying, but what you fail to realize is that the uncivilized part of us will kill the earth not the civilized part. Also people for the most part will not be effected by this at all. Sure the die hard fans will be, but others will just switch phones.

There used to be such a thing as brand loyalty in the world, back when people had morals and scruples. This has gone the way of the big finned cars and poodle skirts.

If people are made to believe that something is true they flock to it and it does not matter if it is true or not any more. So this phone not having Google Apps will hurt them and not the people as they will just switch and move on.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @AuroraZ said:

@HostMem said:

@AuroraZ said:

@deank said:

My personal opinion.

I understand what you are saying, but what you fail to realize is that the uncivilized part of us will kill the earth not the civilized part. Also people for the most part will not be effected by this at all. Sure the die hard fans will be, but others will just switch phones.

There used to be such a thing as brand loyalty in the world, back when people had morals and scruples. This has gone the way of the big finned cars and poodle skirts.

If people are made to believe that something is true they flock to it and it does not matter if it is true or not any more. So this phone not having Google Apps will hurt them and not the people as they will just switch and move on.

I think you may miss the point. I know different people have different opinions about different brands. What is concerning me is the flow and innovations between different parts of the world. Technologies should fly around to help different parts of world.

Anyone you have valid point though.

• Not a fan of Google or Huawei, they're both terrible for numerous reasons. Google playstore is unnecessary anyway, f-droid is great. My next phone will be the Librem 5.

• Everyone and not just those fighting

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AuroraZ said: There used to be such a thing as brand loyalty in the world, back when people had morals and scruples. This has gone the way of the big finned cars and poodle skirts.

Brand loyalty is a higher form of ethics or something? You mean if I buy Nike shoes and only buy Nike shoes I'm a better human being than if I buy Nike one time and Adidas the next?

• @raindog308 said:

AuroraZ said: There used to be such a thing as brand loyalty in the world, back when people had morals and scruples. This has gone the way of the big finned cars and poodle skirts.

Brand loyalty is a higher form of ethics or something? You mean if I buy Nike shoes and only buy Nike shoes I'm a better human being than if I buy Nike one time and Adidas the next?

Not what I meant, but if that is what you got from it I suppose.

• But HUAWEI has banned root on its phones for a long time...

TheLinuxBug said: Just because they are not shipping it with Google Play Store doesn't mean that if you have root on the phone you can't install it.

• @TheLinuxBug said:

@HostMem said:

Just because they are not shipping it with Google Play Store doesn't mean that if you have root on the phone you can't install it. These are two different things. Yes, barrier to entry may be a bit higher, but it doesn't preclude you from being able to install it your self. They just can't package it with the phone since they can't license it.

The impact will be minimal as those who decide to use the phone will know there is a barrier to entry going into purchasing such a phone anyways and be ready to jump through the hoops needed to make it work as they need. There is generally a trade off of newer better technology for poorer software anyways in those phones. Most end up changing away from MIUI and such anyways, when choosing to use the phones (negating this issue). Those who can't deal with it, were not going to buy that phone to begin with, instead they go to their local cell store and say, "iPhone 4, where is the iPhone 4, I need an iPhone 4 (The one with the bigger GeeeeBeeees!)".

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

It doesn't even need root. XIAOMI has been doing this for years. You can't ship Google Play, but you can use the provided Google Play Installer. That's what XIAOMI Does. It's just like installing others apk.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited September 2019

So, up until yesterday, i thought everything is fine... Now, according to the interwebs, World War III is at bay.

Well, then i am curious as to how it turns out.
    My guess is - nothing happens, just the big guys flexing, as always.
    And even if they manage to fuck up and nuke it up somehow, we'll hide somewhere.

PS: Note to self, buy some tuna fish cans.

• @Janevski said:
    So, up until yesterday, i thought everything is fine... Now, according to the interwebs, World War III is at bay.

Well, then i am curious as to how it turns out.
    My guess is - nothing happens, just the big guys flexing, as always.
    And even if they manage to fuck up and nuke it up somehow, we'll hide somewhere.

PS: Note to self, buy some tuna fish cans.

I have a friend having so many beans saved up just in case the world will be all messed up one day. He has bunch of guns and ammos too. Scare.

• rcxbrcxb Member
    edited September 2019

The Play Store is a cespool... It's been flooded with a million variations of basic apps, all infested with as much obnoxious adverts and tracking as they can cram in, and Google gives you no way to filter out the piles of garbage and get down to the high quality, lightweight and ad-free ones.

I hit the F-Droid market first, and only if they don't have anything at all that does the job, mill I resort to hours of digging through the mess and dodging all the tricks and pitfalls on the Play Store.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2019

Obviously, we are the victims.

• As far as the Huawei Mate 30 is concerned, consumers aren't necessarily terribly affected by this, because they still have a number of other choices when it comes to high-end smartphones.

On the other hand, the (increasingly) locked-down nature of smartphones and other portable devices is (or should be) a big concern to consumers, but this is another topic ...

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • angstrom said: As far as the Huawei Mate 30 is concerned, consumers aren't necessarily terribly affected by this, because they still have a number of other choices when it comes to high-end smartphones.

But, apparently, the Mate 30 has some very impressive hardware, which would be a counterargument to what I said.