Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Google services (e.g blogger ) faster than Hetzner
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why Google services (e.g blogger ) faster than Hetzner

JustPfffJustPfff Member
edited September 2019 in General

Hi all , this maybe looks weired to you but I'm person who obsessed about sites speed (specially on my sites ) .
So I have this Hetzner VPS more than week now , I already finish all usual setups I do ( Nginx , php-fpm 7.4 , wordpress , and Nginx-cache ) , and I cache my files on Linux RAM disk to holdback any delay .
Finally I got average TTFB ( 350ms ) which is acceptable , but after surfing my website I notice sort of hitch when loading some pages , it takes a second to response .
I had this experience before with shared host ( they called it CPU throttling ) , but with VPS I'll can call it resource throttling , so my only suspension are with network speed causing all these dips loading page from time to time .
I'm not saying Hetzner are bad , in fact they're the best VPS I ever tried , but I think the idea of using shared resource on the VPS's will not guarantee to you having it all the time ,
And yes their is different between Dedicated server and any VPS no matter what it quality are , even on low traffic site ( like mine ) .
BTW what's make my write this post is website I visit couple minutes ago ( it uses blogger platform ) , first thing I notice is it pages are just popups immediately once I click on the page link , and that's happened on all pages no noticeable delay .

Comments

• so are you looking for someone to debug your setup, or what?

I don't think it's a hetzner problem.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Google is everywhere. They cache all their websites locally to your PC to make it instant. (lol no)

• Google caches its content globally. That's why Blogger and Google Sites (appear) to load faster than sites on your VPS. Also they must be tweaking it, plus don't forget they peer with almost all major ISPs in your country which may help to shave off some 100-200ms of loading time.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • So, considering the way that they cache and all their connections, it is better to have a domain with blogger? (Regarding the speed)

• lovelyserver said: it is better to have a domain with blogger? (Regarding the speed)

if that works for you (beyond "Regarding the speed") then sure, great.

Otherwise you might investigate options for a proper CDN.

Or if you're just looking to serve mainly a specific region, then get a server local to that region (and with a good network).

And - with regard to OP - @JustPfff maybe check and compare network routes to wherever you're at and Hetzner vs your blogger endpoint. That is most likely to be the bottom line in the scenario you're describing. (Again, I don't think this is anything specific to Hetzner - so the title of this thread does not seem to be entirely appropriate in my opinion.)

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • xaocxaoc Member
    edited September 2019

You tried playing with chrome's console yet to figure out which part of your page is loading the slowest?

This should give you on idea on how to do that.

edit2: i am not affiliated with the lame website above.

Thanked by 2uptime MasonR
  • More peers, more & better routes, so lesser on latency,...

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • this is unfair. Google is the big daddy, hetzner is just a kid.

• JustPfffJustPfff Member
    edited September 2019

JohnMiller92 said: damn that was really hard to read

Sorry English is not my native language , I tried to explain as much I can .

coreflux said: More peers, more & better routes, so lesser on latency,..

how could I achieve this with other hosts !

xaoc said: You tried playing with chrome's console yet to figure out which part of your page is loading the slowest?

my site is almost flat HTML code I reduce JS CSS codes as much I could (in fact many call it white empty page ) , it's custom wordpress theme I code it my self and it's faster then WP default themes .

lovelyserver said: So, considering the way that they cache and all their connections, it is better to have a domain with blogger? (Regarding the speed)

reality blogger much faster then any host on the internet , except if your blog server are on your home town .

Sofia_K said: plus don't forget they peer with almost all major ISPs in your country

If I think to create this on my own could this be achievable (with multiple servers network !)

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited September 2019

You might as well say the sky is blue and sound surprised.

• If it's just flat HTML and doesn't change much, putting a CDN in front of me can greatly speed up your site. Maybe sign up for BunnyCDN with my link on sig? :P

edited September 2019

sanvit said: Maybe sign up for BunnyCDN with my link on sig? :P

>
    CDN were not on my plan , but after trying one of best VPS provider I may move to one ,
    Anyway since we talking about google here what's makes you think BunnyCDN could be better choice than Google Compute Engine !

• I don't know exactly how blogger work, but maybe they optimize the process. As you know that blogger only allow you to type posts (no weird php, or other script). Most of plugin are client side.

But I think, all of it because of their great network.

• TL;DR, Google is Bigger than Hetzner.

• You are comparing orange with apples.
    Wordpress/Php/mysql is the issue here... Its a slow stack...
    Try some nodejs / redis ... You will be blown away :)

• angelius said: Wordpress/Php/mysql is the issue here... Its a slow stack.

please read my OP

JustPfff said: I already finish all usual setups I do ( Nginx , php-fpm 7.4 , wordpress , and Nginx-cache ) , and I cache my files on Linux RAM disk to holdback any delay

• At least try litespeed + redis

• JustPfff said: wordpress

There is the problem. Blogger doesn't use wordpress so it's faster. Stuff like caching can help but at the end of the day your software stack is not anything like blogger. What wp plugins do you have? Disable all of them except for caching.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

JustPfff said: I'm person who obsessed about sites speed (specially on my sites ) .

Why?

I care if a site is unacceptably slow. But the difference between 1 second and 3 seconds is immaterial. You're worrying about ms.

• raindog308 said: But the difference between 1 second and 3 seconds is immaterial. You're worrying about ms.

It matters. Even milliseconds matter. http://lite.cnn.io/en is a fast site and one feels the speed. OP, what is the ping time between you and Hetzner? Try setting up a static, text-only page (no javascript, no css, no images) under your nginx and see how fast it is. Then set up your site to come as close to that speed as you can.

• @willie said:

raindog308 said: But the difference between 1 second and 3 seconds is immaterial. You're worrying about ms.

It matters. Even milliseconds matter. http://lite.cnn.io/en is a fast site and one feels the speed. OP, what is the ping time between you and Hetzner? Try setting up a static, text-only page (no javascript, no css, no images) under your nginx and see how fast it is. Then set up your site to come as close to that speed as you can.

Actually, 1 to 2 seconds time before opening a page/clicking a link is perfect: it gives visitor an impression that something is happening. Instant change is too abrupt for most human brains. However, since we can't control the Net speed, it usually is advised to aim for the fastest possible load time, so those with slower connections don't wait too long. Still, even if taking that advice, there is a limit - in terms of cost/effort and benefit ratio.

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited September 2019

bikegremlin said: it gives visitor an impression that something is happening.

Eh, in my experience with web development, 1000 - 2000ms is quite a bit of time!

Unless you mean something else with "something is happening"? Like a default loading screen?

Thanked by 2Sofia_K JustPfff
  • @JohnMiller92 said:

bikegremlin said: it gives visitor an impression that something is happening.

Eh, in my experience with web development, 1000 - 2000ms is quite a bit of time!

Unless you mean something else with "something is happening"? Like a default loading screen?

Click on a link at a website - wait one second for the new screen/page to load and be shown. That is what I meant. With locally run apps (not web/remote), it is easier to control/achieve.

edited September 2019

willie said: Try setting up a static, text-only page (no javascript, no css, no images) under your nginx and see how fast it is. Then set up your site to come as close to that speed as you can

In past I was doing all kind of test from my backend and from other server using ab load test , believe me test results were varied between each server I use (that time I was having ~4 VPS )

cybertech said: At least try litespeed + redis

I having litespeed on my mind but I can't understand it free license term ,,
    and what's makes redis better then RAM disk , same I have no experience with redis yet but I may consider using it .

raindog308 said: You're worrying about ms.

I may be worry too much , but site speed even TTFB is ranking factory , even if it effect are 0.5% that could may change my rank ~5-10 spots on SERP

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited September 2019

I don't care a site takes 1 seconds or 3 seconds. I do care if it does take more than 5 seconds though.

If you are crazy about such speed (ms), then you must be one of those who care deeply about site score stuff, which is quite frankly useless gimmick.

Remember, you are trying to service content to people, not machines.

Thanked by 1JustPfff
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

11 times out of 10 page speed is about optimization of your web application and not your software stack, network, or choice of server.

The other -2 times out of 10 it's about your software stack, network, or choice of server.

• @JustPfff said:

sanvit said: Maybe sign up for BunnyCDN with my link on sig? :P

>
    CDN were not on my plan , but after trying one of best VPS provider I may move to one ,
    Anyway since we talking about google here what's makes you think BunnyCDN could be better choice than Google Compute Engine !

I never said BunnyCDN is a better choice than GCE. However, most of the CDNs should make your site faster than how it is now, and will work out way cheaper than GCE (plus, I don't think using GCE would speed up your site dramatically).

• JustPfff said: In past I was doing all kind of test from my backend

Did you compare your backend to a simple static page from the same server? What was the result?

• If your set up is identical it's probably the network. I would try to isolate the problem to network or server and go from there. Never make changes if you don't have a reliable/objective way to to measure the effects when it comes to performance tuning