Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

recommand a VM/template for remote Virtual Desktop
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

recommand a VM/template for remote Virtual Desktop

dnwkdnwk Member

Have anyone try a VM as a remote desktop for daily use? Any recommended solutions?
Thanks

Comments

• @dnwk said:
    Have anyone try a VM as a remote desktop for daily use? Any recommended solutions?
    Thanks

What OS would you like to know about?

Linux or Windows Desktop?

• Any of them would work

• @dnwk said:
    Any of them would work

Well for a Windows VPS to be a fully working Desktop I would recommend 1GB RAM on SSD Disk or 2GB RAM on HDD

Linux 1GB on HDD should be fine depending on what your doing.

• @rmlhhd said:
    Linux 1GB on HDD should be fine depending on what your doing.

I am not talk about resources. I am thinking about how to setup it up

• if you are using solusvm, check the reinstall section there might be a desktop image available..

or

for Debian
    http://news.metaparadigma.de/linux-setting-up-a-debian-vnc-server-237/

for Centos
    http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server

• Ah, Windows - Just use RDP.

Linux - Use VNC Server with xfce

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2013

If you're planning on using it for daily use, you'll want something that has a very low ping time to your home/office and has plenty of memory. If you have high latency you can run into some serious lag problems if an animation pops up on the screen. If you have insufficient memory, you'll run into lag for a bunch of reasons.

• Is it possible to do LTSP over internet / or without a network boot?

• VNC for linux compressed and encrypted over SSL is just fine, the minimal the latency the better, I'd recommend less than 70-80 ms. 1280x1024 is okay for me, across the atlantic.

A key issue is the graphic resources the app takes on the server, as it'll be reflected over the remote connection, so memory and CPU resources in the server are important, depending on what you'll be running.
    you may want to give the Xvnc server a higher priority using renice, or just nice -1

Graphics can be problematic. Running 3D apps are out of the question.

For windows I found TeamViewer is a bit faster than RDP; again, it depends on the graphics usage of the application running on the server. Although getting the high resolution as in linux vnc, it becomes a bit slower.

my 2 cents.

• We had a client that used this...

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/10387/tutorial-setup-x2goserver-with-xfce4-on-debian-wheezy-128m-vps

And it worked very well. So we made a OS Template for it for OpenVZ.

• @CNJeremy awesome!