Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuycPanel Acquired by cPanel - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuycPanel Acquired by cPanel

13»

Comments

• yokowasis said: I am currently using both cpanel and DirectAdmin. DirectAdmin interface is very slow. So much slow slower than those of cpanel. I though Ajax is supposed to make everything faster. Not the other way around.

very true. DirectAdmin contol panel pages are loading tad slow. They should have removed that fancy ajax or whatever fancy feature they're using to load pages. The blue loading bar at the top is taking ages to load. It stops at somewhere less than 40% and I've to hit page refresh, etc. Its not snappy at all compared to cpanel or other panels I've used.

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@Clouvider said:

@HostEONS said:

@ViridWeb said:
    Guys please stop licking DA's balls..
    They will be the next cPanel..

In this business everyone will show their color...
    Some maybe fast some later but they are all same..

Right now DA is good but I'm sure in future they will do the same..

I agree with you here, infact DA already showed it, they stopped selling lifetime license as soon as cPanel messed up as they knew everybody is just going to jump to DA.

But it's their business

Or because it was unsustainable when people are looking for them to start developing new features ?

It was sustainable for them until cPanel messed up ? the panel is still not as developed as cPanel so why charge like them ?

Once they make it comparable to cPanel then charging like them is understandable but since we have no other better options have to go with them

Thanked by 2ViridWeb kkrajk
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@HostEONS said:

@Clouvider said:

@HostEONS said:

@ViridWeb said:

I agree with you here, infact DA already showed it, they stopped selling lifetime license as soon as cPanel messed up as they knew everybody is just going to jump to DA.

But it's their business

Or because it was unsustainable when people are looking for them to start developing new features ?

It was sustainable for them until cPanel messed up ? the panel is still not as developed as cPanel so why charge like them ?

Once they make it comparable to cPanel then charging like them is understandable but since we have no other better options have to go with them

Before cPanel pulled this stunt there was no pressure on DA to develop features from their user base - so again - it wasn’t sustainable any more.

• @HostEONS how is DA charging like cPanel? They have 4 different pricing levels. You can buy a commercial panel to host 10 websites for $24/y, if you want to host unlimited website you pay $29/m.

Yes they removed the lifetime/owned licences but the hosting landscape changed in that time. Their user base changed and they saw a huge uplift in licence sales and requests from the community to adapt which they did and are continuing, for me, they should be commended. When they announced their price change they gave all existing customers 2+ months to purchase extra licences on the old rates. Did cPanel offer you that? They grandfathered all old licences in. Again, did cPanel offer you that? The short answer is no.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@LeonDynamic said:
    @HostEONS how is DA charging like cPanel? They have 4 different pricing levels. You can buy a commercial panel to host 10 websites for $24/y, if you want to host unlimited website you pay $29/m.

Yes they removed the lifetime/owned licences but the hosting landscape changed in that time. Their user base changed and they saw a huge uplift in licence sales and requests from the community to adapt which they did and are continuing, for me, they should be commended. When they announced their price change they gave all existing customers 2+ months to purchase extra licences on the old rates. Did cPanel offer you that? They grandfathered all old licences in. Again, did cPanel offer you that? The short answer is no.

It's just about they are going on same path, it's not that i'm going to stop using DA or may be even not cPanel

And i already stated earlier it's their business so they decide their business policies etc... but all I'm saying is as soon as they saw the demand they suddenly find that their lifetime licenses are loss maker

I've never complained that they did not give time (though during those 2 months they won't allow you to buy more then certain number of licenses)

It's just they are going on same path and suddenly increase the price without even giving anything extra features is also not a good sign, once they have even more clients you can expect even more price increase may be with more features

But again it's their business so they decide their policies

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

How can you say that they are going on the same path? These are two completely very different situations. I'm mind blown.

• @HostEONS said:

@LeonDynamic said:
    @HostEONS how is DA charging like cPanel? They have 4 different pricing levels. You can buy a commercial panel to host 10 websites for $24/y, if you want to host unlimited website you pay $29/m.

It's just about they are going on same path, it's not that i'm going to stop using DA or may be even not cPanel

And i already stated earlier it's their business so they decide their business policies etc... but all I'm saying is as soon as they saw the demand they suddenly find that their lifetime licenses are loss maker

I've never complained that they did not give time (though during those 2 months they won't allow you to buy more then certain number of licenses)

It's just they are going on same path and suddenly increase the price without even giving anything extra features is also not a good sign, once they have even more clients you can expect even more price increase may be with more features

Lifetime license is like a sort of a credit for development. You can't take credit without limits - just like you can't sell lifetime licenses indefinitely. As soon as the sales grow and you've acquired the needed funds, it is a business suicide to keep selling those.

It's a logical step.

Though they still have "price rise guarantee" - just not sure if that's put in written and legally binding. Anyway, a good quality open source solution would be much safer for sure, but there is none at the moment. Myvestacp is a Vesta fork with security patches, but I'm not sure it's fit for a shared/reseller hosting environment yet:

https://github.com/myvesta/

Thanked by 2uptime MichaelCee

@bikegremlin said:

@HostEONS said:

@LeonDynamic said:

Lifetime license is like a sort of a credit for development. You can't take credit without limits - just like you can't sell lifetime licenses indefinitely. As soon as the sales grow and you've acquired the needed funds, it is a business suicide to keep selling those.

It's a logical step.

Though they still have "price rise guarantee" - just not sure if that's put in written and legally binding. Anyway, a good quality open source solution would be much safer for sure, but there is none at the moment. Myvestacp is a Vesta fork with security patches, but I'm not sure it's fit for a shared/reseller hosting environment yet:

Oh did not noticed about price rise guarantee, well if it's there then it's a good thing

Can't really use open source panels for business

• @HostEONS said:

@bikegremlin said:

@HostEONS said:

@LeonDynamic said:

It's a logical step.

Oh did not noticed about price rise guarantee, well if it's there then it's a good thing

Generally speaking - why not?
    It boils down to whether it's good and tested (with proper security audits).
    When that happens to be the case, it's probably as good, if not better than any paid option.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • hope we'll never get a news cpanel acquiring DA and rest of the competitors!

@Sofia_K said:
    hope we'll never get a news cpanel acquiring DA and rest of the competitors!

then probably it will be time to switch to open source ;)

@bikegremlin said:

@HostEONS said:

@bikegremlin said:

@HostEONS said:

@LeonDynamic said:

It's a logical step.

When that happens to be the case, it's probably as good, if not better than any paid option.

Can't be sure how soon vulnerabilities will be patched/fixed in open source panel + in general clients would prefer a familiar panel, most likely their previous host was also using DA or cPanel so now if they switch to our services if we give them something else, they will just get confused and will either submit too many tickets or may be even cancel.

• Good decision taked by buycp because of they where using "cpanel" in their domain.

• agomezagomez Member, Host Rep

Well, they will have reluctantly accepted, before the effects of customers escape are noticed to anotther panels or to cpanel directly

• We really need open source decent panel. Paid support / update is fine. There is nothing wrong in using open source software for business. We use frickin Debian on our server. WordPress is powering half the internet website. We use open source software every day. From media player, to office.

As of right now, CWP has good prospect. They recently added reseller account. But unfortunately, it's not open source.

• @yokowasis said:
    As of right now, CWP has good prospect. They recently added reseller account. But unfortunately, it's not open source.

and according to Rack911 full of problems which the CWP team haven’t got back to them about. Check out the thread on WHT.

Thanked by 2nem ITLabs
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited September 2019

@LeonDynamic said:

@yokowasis said:

and according to Rack911 full of problems which the CWP team haven’t got back to them about. Check out the thread on WHT.

I still prefer CWP over DA, notwithstanding its' own quirkiness and deficiencies.
    The yearly CWP license doesn't shaft the lowend market, which we here are, allegedly.
    Support could be more responsive though.

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

@LeonDynamic said:

@yokowasis said:

Also the dev intractably arguing about its CVEs or obscuring source doesn't really bode well for the leadership nor maturity of the project.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited September 2019

@HostEONS said:

@bikegremlin said:

@HostEONS said:

@bikegremlin said:

@HostEONS said:

@LeonDynamic said:

It's a logical step.

Can't be sure how soon vulnerabilities will be patched/fixed in open source panel + in general clients would prefer a familiar panel, most likely their previous host was also using DA or cPanel so now if they switch to our services if we give them something else, they will just get confused and will either submit too many tickets or may be even cancel.

As for fixing vulnerabilities - depends on how good the community support is. After all -cPanel is an idiot friendly tool for managing an open source (Linux) server, isn't it?

As for the customers - I agree. I'm still using cPanel, for I'm comfortable with it, know that all the backups work, I can easily migrate to another (cPanel) hosting server and there's lots of cPanel hosting available.

If that changes in the future, that is, another control panel becomes more widespread, I'd put in the work needed to get the hang of that, test it and probably switch. As it is now (DirectAdmin gaining popularity, but still not there and still not polished), cPanel hosting would have to become 3-5 times more expensive than it is now, for me to consider switching to something else.

When it comes to switching, again, as it is now, most providers who offer DirectAdmin are still learning the ropes of it (in my opinion/impression). So if a switch was required today, I'd be tempted to go with myVestaCP, then wait and see where the industry "lands".

Same goes for CloudLinux and LiteSpeed - both great tools and both privately owned, with large market share (that's my IMPression :) at least).

One thing's certain, goes for both the bad and the good times: it will pass. :)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2019

@HostEONS said:

@bikegremlin said:

@HostEONS said:

@bikegremlin said:

@HostEONS said:

@LeonDynamic said:

It's a logical step.

Whether issues will be patched isn't a function of whether the panel is open-source, but rather it's a function of whether you/someone is paying the developers of it. Get commercial support for an open-source thing, and you're good.

@yokowasis said:
    WordPress is powering half the internet website.

Wordpress is maybe not the best example. It's a security trashfire :)

• @HostEONS said:

@Sofia_K said:
    hope we'll never get a news cpanel acquiring DA and rest of the competitors!

then probably it will be time to switch to open source ;)

First there has to be an open source panel with the same quality as cPanel or DA.

• @yokowasis said:
    WordPress is powering half the internet website.

Wordpress is maybe not the best example. It's a security trashfire :)

At least it's constantly updated. And most of the time it's not the WordPress, but the plugin / themes.

• @ViridWeb said:

Just develop a better panel to get your balls licked.

• cPanel buy DA .. The end lol

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

bikegremlin said: When it comes to switching, again, as it is now, most providers who offer DirectAdmin are still learning the ropes of it (in my opinion/impression). So if a switch was required today, I'd be tempted to go with myVestaCP, then wait and see where the industry "lands".

Careful observation. Exactly what we are doing now. Let the dust settle first.

It's not that the situation has gone to the verge of closing shop. If that's the case to a provider, they certainly have bigger problems than to consider a different control panel.

• @raindog308 said:
    Live coverage of the acquisition. First buycpanel is notified of the new pricing, and then cpanel buys them out:

Haha! This whole fiasco in a nutshell

• @logaritse said:
    cPanel buy DA .. The end lol

If I would be a DA boss - that would be my dream. At last those private islands and jets!

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • can anyone tell me, how much cpanel pay them?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@bdspice said:
    can anyone tell me, how much cpanel pay them?

Not been disclosed. He got hired on at cPanel so he likely got a 12mo of revenue as his buy out + the job.

Overall though the take over was rough. They didn't transfer Litespeed licenses so it was a mad dash for us to get new ones directly from Litespeed. Litespeed has everything automated on their end though so it wasn't down for long, usually just a few minutes while I ordered and swapped license key's.

Francisco

Thanked by 1bdspice