Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NAT OVZ7 just shutdown itself?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NAT OVZ7 just shutdown itself?

Hello,

So I tried to ssh to my nat vps and it failed to connect. I logged in to my provider and saw that it was offline. I didnt shut it down.

I now want to know why it shutdown itself. But seeing that centos 7 minimal on ovz doesnt seem to log by default (?), I dont see /var/log/messages

When I try to open /var/log/dmesg as root, I get

-bash: /var/log/dmesg: Permission denied

When I use sudo

-bash: sudo: command not found

I secured this vps and disabled root login. I login by key. So I wonder what happened?

Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Comments

• somiksomik Member
    edited September 2019

@timelapse, Did you contact your VPS provider? They'll sometimes shutdown your VPS if the load is too high because of your VPS or you have illegal contant on it or doing something fishy with it. They'll normally send you an email when they turn off your server so check your spam folders as well.

• Hello @somik!

I already did. I was told maybe my vps crashed and to check the logs. But theres no logs. I dont think their centos 7 minimal template installs rsyslog

I think ovz7 is too heavy for 128 mb nat. Maybe the vps indeed crashed due to low ram? I just had this nat vps for less than a month.

My other 128 mb ovz6 nat vps with centos 7 minimal never shutdown itself and Ive had it for months.

• I had VPS running on 64MB of ram (for test purposes). I did manage to make it crash, but it didn't shutdown. It was still online, just unresponsive. I could still ping to it.

More likely, the VPS provider forgot to set your VPS to start automatically when they reboot the dedicated server that it is on. Anyway, take it as one time thing and get back if it happens again.

I would recommend getting a server monitor script to notify you if any of your servers goes down.

• @somik said:
    I had VPS running on 64MB of ram (for test purposes). I did manage to make it crash, but it didn't shutdown. It was still online, just unresponsive. I could still ping to it.

More likely, the VPS provider forgot to set your VPS to start automatically when they reboot the dedicated server that it is on. Anyway, take it as one time thing and get back if it happens again.

I would recommend getting a server monitor script to notify you if any of your servers goes down.

Provider told me not to worry about it unless it happens again. Still, Im curious why it shutdown. Thanks @somik !

• @timelapse said:
    When I use sudo

I secured this vps and disabled root login. I login by key.

Disabled root login by password (key only), or disabled root login completely, and log in to your user account by key? If you've completely disabled root login and don't have sudo installed, how do you do things that require root access?

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • @ras07 said:

@timelapse said:
    When I use sudo

Disabled root login by password (key only), or disabled root login completely, and log in to your user account by key? If you've completely disabled root login and don't have sudo installed, how do you do things that require root access?

The root login is disabled. I only login using a user in wheel group using a key. I su to switch to root.

When logged in as my other user I sudo but it says sudo not found lol.

• @timelapse said:

@ras07 said:

@timelapse said:
    When I use sudo

The root login is disabled. I only login using a user in wheel group using a key. I su to switch to root.

That would be because sudo is either not installed or the user does not have permission to use it.

As the user run sudo -v and see if it has permissions.

• timelapsetimelapse Member
    edited September 2019

@AuroraZ said:

@timelapse said:

@ras07 said:

@timelapse said:
    When I use sudo

That would be because sudo is either not installed or the user does not have permission to use it.

Thank you. I will try later. But when I try sudo as root, it also says not found. This is centos 7 minimal on ovz 7

• @timelapse said:

@AuroraZ said:

@timelapse said:

@ras07 said:

@timelapse said:
    When I use sudo

Thank you. I will try later. But when I try sudo as root, it also says not found. This is centos 7 minimal from ovz 7

I am only speculating but I would say it is not installed. Try installing it and see what happens then.

• @AuroraZ said:

@timelapse said:

@ras07 said:

@timelapse said:
    When I use sudo

SLR, it was not installed.

-V is for version what is -v ?

Thanks again @AuroraZ

• Validate it will update the user's cached credentials, authenticating the user's password if necessary. For the sudoers plugin,it will extend the sudo timeout for another 15 minutes (or whatever the timeout is set to in sudoers) but does not run a command. Not all security policies support cached credentials.