Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A client is portscanning using our VPS (Hetzner) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A client is portscanning using our VPS (Hetzner)

13»

Comments

• ^ Yup. ;) :p

• solairesolaire Member
    edited September 2019

jsg said: Well, "range" can mean a lot. /30 is a range just as /16 is a range.

Yeah, so he's scanning at least 4 IP's. Still more than an "incidental IP scan", whatever that may be. Point remaining that there's absolutely no point on doing so unless you're after something.

jsg said: And you are all excited about someone doing some port scans without even knowing any details about it? Really?

Not excited in the slightest. Just happy that Hetzner booted at least one of the nasty (or compromised) guys so the internet became a slightly better place and Hetzner's IP range is kept as clean as possible (i.e. didn't end up in AbuseIPDB or whatever).

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Wouldnt use Hetzner for that. Are you atleast providing cheaper Prices then Hetzner themself?

• It is know that @Hetzner_OL abuse handling sucks and you can take everybody with fake abuse mails down and Hetzner knows it too, that is why they don't respond here.

Thanked by 1goodwin
  • Shodan.io has entered the chat

Thanked by 2uptime AlwaysSkint
  • meh ... I'll see your shodan, and raise you a carna botnet

squint a bit and you might even see a few shades of grey ...

Thanked by 1pxhaxor
  • @user54321 said:
    It is know that @Hetzner_OL abuse handling sucks and you can take everybody with fake abuse mails down and Hetzner knows it too, that is why they don't respond here.

That's absurd. Personally, I've never had an abuse report from Hetzner, but if I did, I would probably be given some reasonable time to resolve the issue. Can you prove that they act in such a manner, if it is well known that this occurs?

And FYI, the person running @Hetzner_OL isn't even part of the abuse team. Don't point fingers to people you probably chose at random from username suggestions.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • solairesolaire Member
    edited September 2019

FlamesRunner said: That's absurd. Personally, I've never had an abuse report from Hetzner, but if I did, I would probably be given some reasonable time to resolve the issue. Can you prove that they act in such a manner, if it is well known that this occurs?

They do give you a reasonable timeframe to resolve the issue (a minimum of 24 hours) and they are very reasonable when talked to. They do forward complaints without thoroughly checking it, but when talked to, they sort you out.

Most of the "abuse team sucks" screaming likely comes from people that are unhappy after being booted because of actual abuse. They have almost completely automated their abuse reports, so chances of slipping through is virtually non-existent. Chances of false positives are certainly there, but then again, they're reasonable. I've only had one report over the past years that was a false positive and was sorted by their abuse team almost immediately.

• user54321user54321 Member
    edited September 2019

@FlamesRunner said:

@user54321 said:
    It is know that @Hetzner_OL abuse handling sucks and you can take everybody with fake abuse mails down and Hetzner knows it too, that is why they don't respond here.

That's absurd. Personally, I've never had an abuse report from Hetzner, but if I did, I would probably be given some reasonable time to resolve the issue. Can you prove that they act in such a manner, if it is well known that this occurs?

Not from Hetzner, some random guy sends abuse mails to hetzner and they terminate you after a few hours. They act fast and if you drop the right trigger words in the abuse mail your server is gone even without them having sent you anything.
    Give me the IP of your server and you will see how easy it is. But be aware that you won't be able to be there customer ever again most probably.

Or simply run a Tor exit with only port 80 and 443 allowed, you will be gone in no time. It is not without a reason why nobody hosts there stuff that is important for their business.

They are fine if you host stuff just for you and nobody cares but if you have real competitors they will get you kicked off hetzner in no time because it is cheaper for Hetzner to lose customers than having humans look if abuse mails are real or fake.

There is a reason why they host 458 Tor relays and only 4 of them are exits, and that 4 won't stay long i can assure you

If they get that fixed, they would be a great host in general, but because of that they are only great for personal projects.

@FlamesRunner said:
    And FYI, the person running @Hetzner_OL isn't even part of the abuse team. Don't point fingers to people you probably chose at random from username suggestions.

I know but they represent Hetzner here.

• user54321 said: run a Tor exit

lulz ...

I'm aware of very few hosts that are prepared to accommodate a Tor exit, and they require notification ahead of deployment ... so using this as an example weakens the credibility of your general premise, really quite a bit in my opinion. :smiley:

Thanked by 2skorous ahnlak
  • FraudRecord maybe?