Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increased Fraud on Stripe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Increased Fraud on Stripe

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Anyone else seeing an uptick in fraud activity with payments being made by Stripe? It's becoming quite expensive. Each charge-backs costs HK$85 in charge-back fees, and I'm getting about 10 charge-backs a week now.

This is a recent development. Stripe never had that much fraud before. Now I think every new order that is processed through stripe is actually fraud.

Comments

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2019

You got targeted by those morons. Time to time it happens with probably all providers, no matter it is Stripe or other merchant. Now you need to check all new orders and all one month accounts and ask photo ID's of all suspicious accounts, paid with CC's.

We work with Paysera.com , they are pretty good and most of fraudsters simply can't pay for services. But time to time fraudsters checks providers anti fraud tools :) if they get services, they share information with others and then starts to make orders again and again.

Thanked by 3Ympker kkrajk Egyarmy
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Did you manually verify the orders?
    I think it's better to verify documents before activating any orders.
    Like Leaseweb, Hetzner and other host do on first order of any clients.
    You can even ask for a selfie with a passport or Credit Card. :wink:

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2019

Some years ago i lost few x.xxx,xx EUR due to fraud. Stripe is just bad in terms of fraud. Using 2CO they dont have much chances coming trough.

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

bacloud said: We work with Paysera.com

How do you withdraw money? In addition to card payments, can you accept Bitcoin and PayPal without having your own PayPal account through them?

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

randvegeta said: Anyone else seeing an uptick in fraud activity with payments being made by Stripe? It's becoming quite expensive. Each charge-backs costs HK$85 in charge-back fees, and I'm getting about 10 charge-backs a week now.

Try MaxMind + FraudRecord

• ViridWeb said: You can even ask for a selfie with a passport or Credit Card.

Very few people would trust such companies with that sorta info, especially when security standards may not be that high (clearly ovh and such are an exception)

• You don't force "3D Secure" when available?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

ViridWeb said: Did you manually verify the orders?

I think it's better to verify documents before activating any orders.
    Like Leaseweb, Hetzner and other host do on first order of any clients.
    You can even ask for a selfie with a passport or Credit Card.

Not yet, but I will manually screen all new stripe payments.

HostSlick said: Some years ago i lost few x.xxx,xx EUR due to fraud. Stripe is just bad in terms of fraud. Using 2CO they dont have much chances coming trough.

2CO are not only crazy expensive, but they were no better. 9/10 orders paid through 2CO for me was fraud at one point. We just cancelled them in the end.

TarZZ92 said: Very few people would trust such companies with that sorta info, especially when security standards may not be that high (clearly ovh and such are an exception)

I've asked. Most fraudsters I've asked send me obviously photo-shopped pictures :D

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

ma2t said: You don't force "3D Secure" when available?

I thought Stripe would do that. Is it something we need to set?

• edited September 2019

I thought stripe has a protection plan for another .4% of the total sale. Perhaps look into that.

Edit: https://stripe.com/radar/chargeback-protection

Thanked by 1klikli
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@randvegeta said:

Of course. It’s all in the docs.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Clouvider said:

@randvegeta said:

Of course. It’s all in the docs.

Also, read the part about SCA because your EU Customers will stop working if you don’t adjust your payment flow to new rules as early as this month.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2019

@HostSlick said:
    Some years ago i lost few x.xxx,xx EUR due to fraud. Stripe is just bad in terms of fraud. Using 2CO they dont have much chances coming trough.

2CO is 100 more incompetent as they do first allow order/pass all fraud screening and when the order is processed they do mark as fraud

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2019

@WebProject said:

@HostSlick said:

2CO is 100 more incompetent as they do first allow order/pass all fraud screening and when the order is processed they do mark as fraud

Never had such problems.
    My account is many years old, got a great deal aswell.

• If you are using WHMCS, you can enable the FraudLabs fraud screening module. It is free and can block suspicious transactions for review to reduce chargeback.

• @mikec said:
    If you are using WHMCS, you can enable the FraudLabs fraud screening module. It is free and can block suspicious transactions for review to reduce chargeback.

It is only free for a certain amount of checks other wise no longer free.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

Just be strict with fraud checks for a while and fraudsters will go away, also do keep your chargeback rate under control else Stripe may block your account

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

@randvegeta said:

["payment_method_options" => ["card" => ["request_three_d_secure" => "any"]]

Using this option when creating either a SetupIntent or PaymentIntent in the new payment flow Stripe has ensures that you always request 3d secure verification if available.

Thanked by 2randvegeta Clouvider
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@mikec said:
    If you are using WHMCS, you can enable the FraudLabs fraud screening module. It is free and can block suspicious transactions for review to reduce chargeback.

FraudLabs is awesome better than maxmind services even they do the same functions. Using FraudLabs you be able to setup various validation rules exactly the same as Stripe Radar.

Thanked by 1mikec