Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there money in developing WHMCS modules? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there money in developing WHMCS modules?

2»

Comments

• KatamazeKatamaze Member
    edited September 2019

I'm not saying that Laravel is all bad but if you aim to develop modules for WHMCS, Laravel adds an unnecessary layer on top of your software not to mention that writing a query takes way more time (it's super-verbose), some operations can't be performed and it also runs a lot slower. Lastly with Lavarel you are indirectly using PDO.

That said, I prefer to directly use PDO. Its syntax is enormously shorter to write, it runs faster and allows me to perform any operation I want.

Developing and maintaining modules for WHMCS is a time consuming activity (coding, writing documentation, giving support, fixing bugs, adding and improving new features, releasing updates, writing changelogs, making sure that everything still works with newer versions of WHMCS, licensing your software...) and requires an extensive knowledge of WHMCS, PHP, Smarty, hooks, API, MySQL, ionCube, jQuery, ajax and tens of various libraries.

Adding Laravel to the equation doesn't make any sense to me. In the long run and when you're working on bigger projects using raw SQL (PDO) saves you a lot of time.

That's my opinion.