Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Real NVMe Deal 80GB NVMe and 6GB ram for 7$/month - servaRICA - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The Real NVMe Deal 80GB NVMe and 6GB ram for 7$/month - servaRICA

13»

Comments

• I am interested in your $20/month VPS plan. Two questions:

1. I will install Windows Server 2012/2016 and want to create a VM within using Hyper-V. Is it possible?

2. Is it possible to increase disk space later on?

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

@alilet said:

Hi Alilet here are the answers

1. I will install Windows Server 2012/2016 and want to create a VM within using Hyper-V. Is it possible?

yes just ask us to enable nested virtualization after you place your order and you should be able to spin up hyperVM (didnt test it personally but some people only report it works)

Note: if you reinstall the vps you need to ask for nest virt to be enabled again (working on fix for this)

1. Is it possible to increase disk space later on?

yes to certain degree , I mean adding up to 100GB without upgrading the plan is possible if you need to double for example your disk space or triple it mostly you will need to upgrade the whole plan to next level as the cost will be almost the same

Thanks

Thanked by 1alilet
  • cwilkinscwilkins Member
    edited September 2019

@Hani said:

@alilet said:

Hi Alilet here are the answers

yes just ask us to enable nested virtualization after you place your order and you should be able to spin up hyperVM (didnt test it personally but some people only report it works)

I'm going to be retrying this today with Windows Server 2016. I was not able to get Hyper-V to work when I last tried it. Received an error about a service is not running. Will report back once I get the VPS wiped, with Windows 2016 reloaded and ready to have nested virtualization turned back on.

Update: Tried again on 2016 and received the same error. Did read something about 2016 HyperV trying to make a CPU mircocode update, and erroring out causing HyperV to fail. I wonder if that is why HyperV fails to run. Going to try 2012R2 but I suspect I will get the same error.

"One interesting thing to note is that the log file indicates that Windows 2016 tried to update your CPU's microcode patch level from 0x70b to 0x710."

Update 2: Tried 2012R2, and HyperV will not even install. Reports back a Hypervisor is already running. Not sure what to try next.