Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage VPS for static website/files
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage VPS for static website/files

I serve static files (images and videos) of my website from Amazon S3. It is fast and reliable but as the volume increases the price is not affordable for me ($22/mo for storage for 1TB + traffic).

I wonder if it is feasible to get a storage VPS here (1-2 TB storage + 5TB traffic for $7/mo) to serve static files, as the process doesn't need much of resources (CPU/RAM).

Does the storage VPS offers here serve the purpose?

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Get a slice. Install Minio. Problem Solved.

Oh and bandwidth is unlimited*

https://buyvm.net

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited August 2019

seems reasonable, depending on how much I/O your site will impose on the server - the 5 TB traffic may be a bit more than the "standard $7" deal.

best to check details with the providers - can suggest:

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@FAT32 said:
    Get a slice. Install Minio.

Sounds like he's trying to get away from S3.

Yes, serving simple files should be fine for most providers (some may forbid file serving in their ToS, though, so would be best do double check). I'd recommend picking something up from @exception0x876 (wishosting). He just had an offer for a NAT storage box (1.8TB) for $6 in Germany. He also has a storage VM in Canada (also 1.8TB) with a dedicated IPv4 address for $10 and it has unlimited traffic.

Some more options can be found here: https://www.lowendstorage.win

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

ty for the mention @uptime ! :blush:

@Bartok we could do the following,

1000G plan
    512 MB RAM
    1000 GB HDD
    2 core fair-share access include
    6 TB bandwidth per month
    1 Gbit/sec upink
    1 IPv4
    /64 IPv6

KVM powered

Price
    $7/month or $35/semi-annually

Order Links
    * Frankfurt, Germany - https://crowncloud.net/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=360
    * Los Angeles, USA - https://crowncloud.net/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=309

Thanked by 1uptime

@MasonR said:
    Sounds like he's trying to get away from S3.

I understand, but if his backend code is using S3 API he can switch to Minio without changing any code as it is S3-compatible

Thanked by 3vimalware Ouji Amitz
  • just to note that I've been using CrownCloud storage in Los Angeles and Frankfurt for almost 2 years (not for serving files though) - happy to report that they are reliable and responsive. (As are the other providers mentioned, to varying degrees. But CrownCloud does tend to stand out in my book as proven to be solid.)

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2019

check our let offer here
    it has unlimited BW and 1,5TB storage
    and you can abuse the cpu core if you need to
    it is 7$/month

Big Storage LET Special X3
    1.5TB disk space
    1GB RAM
    1 CPU core dedicated
    unlimited transfer
    100mbps vps port
    1x IPv4
    IPv6 available by request
    $7$/month

https://servarica.com/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=404

Thanked by 2uptime coreflux
  • @uptime said:
    just to note that I've been using CrownCloud storage in Los Angeles and Frankfurt for almost 2 years (not for serving files though) - happy to report that they are reliable and responsive. (As are the other providers mentioned, to varying degrees. But CrownCloud does tend to stand out in my book as proven to be solid.)

Hmm... there's an offer going on (1TB KVM storage @ $7.00). Think I'll give a try, tks.

Thanked by 2uptime SpeedBus
  • @FAT32 said:
    Get a slice. Install Minio. Problem Solved.

Oh and bandwidth is unlimited*

https://buyvm.net

Can you elaborate?

• @SpeedBus said:
    ty for the mention @uptime ! :blush:

@Bartok we could do the following,

1000G plan
    512 MB RAM
    1000 GB HDD
    2 core fair-share access include
    6 TB bandwidth per month
    1 Gbit/sec upink
    1 IPv4
    /64 IPv6

KVM powered

Price
    $7/month or $35/semi-annually

Order Links
    * Frankfurt, Germany - https://crowncloud.net/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=360
    * Los Angeles, USA - https://crowncloud.net/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=309

It doesn't seem like a storage plan.

• OujiOuji Member

HostHatch said they would be offering their 3TB storage later this month on maybe in Sept. At least for the Chicago one, it is 3GB RAM, 3TB storage and 16TB bandwidth for $7/mo. Depending on when is your next due date with Amazon it'd be worth waiting.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Bartok said: It doesn't seem like a storage plan.

It is part of our storage series, I mean, it's a full VPS with low RAM/large disk -- you could install something like Minio for S3 like access as well (https://min.io/) or simply setup nginx etc, basically you would get a dedicated IP, full SSH access etc just like any other VPS :)

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited August 2019

Bartok said: It doesn't seem like a storage plan.

SpeedBus said: it's a full VPS with low RAM/large disk

sounds better

Thanked by 1SpeedBus
  • @Bartok said:
    I serve static files (images and videos) of my website from Amazon S3. It is fast and reliable but as the volume increases the price is not affordable for me ($22/mo for storage for 1TB + traffic).

I wonder if it is feasible to get a storage VPS here (1-2 TB storage + 5TB traffic for $7/mo) to serve static files, as the process doesn't need much of resources (CPU/RAM).

Does the storage VPS offers here serve the purpose?

look for bunnyCDN cloudstorage

Thanked by 1uptime
  • donko said: look for bunnyCDN cloudstorage

That is .03/gb for storage + 0.005/gb (depending) for transfer.

• @willie said:

donko said: look for bunnyCDN cloudstorage

That is .03/gb for storage + 0.005/gb (depending) for transfer.

Actually, it's $0.01/GB for storage. And they now have a $1/m minimum usage for new users :( (although OP seems to use way more than that)

Thanked by 2willie uptime
    edited August 2019

@Bartok said:
    Can you elaborate?

A slice is basically a KVM VPS from BuyVM as low as $2/m.
    A slab is some storage that can be attached to your KVM from BuyVM, you can buy it in an increment of 256GB from as low as $1.25/m.
    Combining both of them allow you to create a scalable storage server.

Minio is a S3-compatible file storage software server. If your backend is uploading them to S3 via API, you can use the same piece of code just by adding 1 or 2 more lines.

However, their VPS are usually out of stock due to high demand and you can wait until 1st or 10th day of each calendar month for re-stock.

The list compiled by @uptime is all the great providers on LET with great uptime and performance :)

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @FAT32 said:

@Bartok said:
    Can you elaborate?

A slice is basically a KVM VPS from BuyVM as low as $2/m.
    A slab is some storage that can be attached to your KVM from BuyVM, you can buy it in an increment of 256GB from as low as $1.25/m.
    Combining both of them allow you to create a scalable storage server.

Minio is a S3-compatible file storage software server. If your backend is uploading them to S3 via API, you can use the same piece of code just by adding 1 or 2 more lines.

However, their VPS are usually out of stock due to high demand and you can wait until 1st or 10th day of each calendar month for re-stock.

The list compiled by @uptime is all the great providers on LET with great uptime and performance :)

The 4gb slice has essentially a 100mbps promise, keep that in mind.

Thanked by 3uptime ITLabs vimalware
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

SirFoxy said: The 4gb slice has essentially a 100mbps promise, keep that in mind.

Scam.

Francisco

Thanked by 2SirFoxy uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited August 2019

FAT32 said: The list compiled by @uptime is all the great providers on LET with great uptime and performance

well - at least the ones that I've had a chance to try who offer some "low-end storage dealz". They all have their charms - and sometimes a few wrinkles - but I can definitely recommend taking a closer look and expecting good things from all of them. And I'm sure there are a few others to be found on LET that I don't even know about yet.

SirFoxy said: The 4gb slice has essentially a 100mbps promise, keep that in mind.

Maybe @Francisco can clarify expectations with regard to (general rule of thumb for) traffic allowance on a 512 MB slice. Also note the BuyVM storage "slabs" are currently only in Las Vegas but are expected to roll out in Luxembourg next spring (if I remember correctly).

Thanked by 2ITLabs SirFoxy
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited August 2019

@Francisco said:

Scam.

Francisco

I'm sorry dad pls don't take down my torrent linking site

SirFoxy

Thanked by 3ITLabs Ouji Francisco
  • I suggest two options.

1. Wasabi - 5.99/tb storage with unlimited bandwidth. I've been using them for a while and it's pretty great. (Only con, you pay 5.99/month minimum even if you don't have 1tb yet)

2. Backblaze B2 - 0.005/gb storage and 0.01/gb bandwidth. However, you get free unlimited bandwidth if you use cloudflare to proxy the traffic to them.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

There is always @BunnySpeed Storage and CDN. Very prem service and never disappoints.

Thanked by 3uptime FHR donko