Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD Performance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD Performance

GuyPGuyP Member
edited August 2019 in Help

Anyway to improve the performance of this SSD? Is there anything I should look for in the bios? I know dd isn't the best test but this seems pretty slow.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5680 @ 3.33GHz
Number of cores : 12
CPU frequency : 1596.000 MHz
Total size of Disk : 228.0 GB (1.1 GB Used)
Total amount of Mem : 24101 MB (135 MB Used)
Total amount of Swap : 24561 MB (0 MB Used)
System uptime : 0 days, 10 hour 33 min
Load average : 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)

Kernel : 4.9.0-6-amd64

I/O speed(1st run) : 127 MB/s
I/O speed(2nd run) : 126 MB/s
I/O speed(3rd run) : 127 MB/s
Average I/O speed : 126.7 MB/s

Comments

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

We have some hard drives that pull 130MB/s, I'd say that is low for SSD for sure

I've heard of using fstrim to trim the SSD to fix slow speeds. I'm sure others on this forum can verify this or give other advice

You could also use smartctl to check the drive age / health, see if its getting any errors

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

Are you in solusvm? vmware?

that came out on my disks with Vmware but basically with a problem in the RAID controller

• GuyPGuyP Member
    edited August 2019

@SSDBlaze said:
    You could also use smartctl to check the drive age / health, see if its getting any errors

Here's the output of smartctl -a /dev/sda: https://clbin.com/SwD9t

Power_On_Hours is 679 days, so not terribly old, but I'm not exactly sure how to interpret the rest of the output.

Also, fstrim was a bust, not sure why:

~/bin# fstrim -v /
    fstrim: /: the discard operation is not supported
    ~/bin#

• GuyPGuyP Member

@georgedatacenter said:
    Are you in solusvm? vmware?

Neither, it's a dedicated box.

• rcxbrcxb Member
    edited August 2019

Often RAID controllers won't pass-thru fstrim commands, so performance is going to gradually degrade and shorten the life of the SSD as well. Maybe your controller has some settings you can change, or a firmware update available? A cheap old Crucial MX300 isn't exactly going to be a speed-demon. UserBenchmarks have it at a "SusWrite 215", which is faster than you're getting, but still not too impressive. There's good reason why there are expensive "enterprise" SSDs out there.

Your performance is still going to be better than with an HDD. They do well on sequential tests like DD but fall to almost nothing on highly random (seek) loads.

• are you testing with one large file or random small files? they will have different speeds.

• GuyPGuyP Member
    edited August 2019

Thanks for all the feedback guys. With the help of some commands (lshw) I discovered the drive is plugged into:
    *-scsi
    description: SCSI storage controller
    product: SAS1064ET PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS
    vendor: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic

I've asked the provider to move the drive to the ICH10 SATA controller which should get me closer to SATA II speeds (375MB/s):
    *-ide:0
    description: IDE interface
    product: 82801JI (ICH10 Family) 4 port SATA IDE Controller #1
    vendor: Intel Corporation

We'll see... 🙄

• 24GB of swap seems high. I don't know what to suggest, but I'd think like 4-8GB.

Not going to speed up SSD, just reclaim some that would not ever be used.

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

One very simple thing you could try is switch the scheduler. SSDs works great with deadline or noop:
    echo deadline > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler

If you're using RAID I'd also strongly suggest looking at https://wiki.mikejung.biz/LSI

Some other small optimizations that you could test:
    echo 0 > /sys/block/sda/queue/rotational
    echo 1 > /sys/block/sda/queue/nomerges
    echo 0 > /sys/block/sda/queue/add_random

Also if doing writes / deletes a lot the SSD might slow down a lot if full, especially if they're consumer drives.

• GuyPGuyP Member

Appreciate the feedback @BunnySpeed. Looks like all those were set. Drive usage is 2.2G out of 256.2G so plenty of free space. Upon further investigation the drive is plugged into a RAID controller that's negotiated a link speed of 1.5Gb rather than the 3Gb it's capable of. Neither myself or the provider know why, they've looked at the bios and the firmware and haven't been able to determine why. I've asked them to plug it into an ICH10 IDE SATA port in the hopes that'll get me closer to 3Gb. Waiting on their reply.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

A little late to the party, but don't forget to turn on the drive's write cache. This can be done in controller settings or possibly with hdparm

Thanked by 2ITLabs GuyP
  • GuyPGuyP Member

@FHR thanks, confirmed it's enabled with lsiutil. Provider said they're ordering a cable to move it from the RAID controller to the ICH10 SATA 3Gb/s controller.

• Just wanted to provide an update for anyone else that might come across this issue, here's the solution...

Grab a copy of lsiutil (I used v1.62), run it and select the raid controller. Enter option 13. Here, you will be able to set up a minimum and maximum speed for your ports, individually. Just set up 3.0Gbps as minimum speed for all your active ports, leave the rest at default (or existing) parameters/settings.

Thanked by 2ITLabs FHR