Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supermicro's IPMI
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Supermicro's IPMI

johnex31johnex31 Member
edited August 2019 in Help

Hi, so I'm struggling with installing system using supermicro's IPMI and I must admit so far I have bad feelings towards it..anyway got some questions related to it, please help me:

First of all, I bought dedicated server from hosting, I don't have it in my LAN, so I'm looking for easy remote way to install Windows there.

1. There is no possibility to simply provide link to ISO? Only either uploading ISO directly or Samba share? Seriously, SAMBA? Anyone is using SAMBA? No FTP or SCP?
  2. Are there other better management systems or Supermicro is the only one?
  3. No alternative to this crappy java applet? It keeps saying that I have to update JRE.
  4. Tried using netboot.xyz, and yeah I can boot Windows installer but it's not possible to mount iPXE virtual disk so installer can see it, seems like Samba server is the only way to make it remotely?

Thanks for any help folks, cheers

Comments

• hzrhzr Member
    edited August 2019

Everyone using samba. Samba is nearly enterprise standard network shares.

Really, windows shares are the norm in corporate, it is only weird in "macbook tier hipster startup" or "Low end community" ..

• IIRC, my Supermicro server has a HTML5 console as well. You can also mount iso’s by providing a direct URL. I have done that many times in my console.

And sure, if you choose a different brand you can go with iLO, iDRAC or whatever floats your boat.

• It depends on the IPMI version. I personally install 2 versions of Java, version 6 for old IPMI, and version 8 for new one.
    And I think it is not java applet, but java web start.
    Once you can run the jnlp file with java web start, you can attach ISO file to it as virtual CDROM

• AmfyAmfy Member

$7

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

Why you don't ask your provider to install server for you ?

• rubenruben Member, Host Rep

DennisdeWit said: IIRC, my Supermicro server has a HTML5 console as well.

It depends on the BIOS version ;) Old ones, probably like this one, require an update, which can be a pain with old boards.

And after all, why Windows Server?

• I always use vultr windows vps nearest to the server and mount virtual iso

• @drserver said:
    Why you don't ask your provider to install server for you ?

Many hosts does not provide Windows at all, also my server is "unmanaged"

@hzr said:
    Everyone using samba. Samba is nearly enterprise standard network shares.

Really, windows shares are the norm in corporate, it is only weird in "macbook tier hipster startup" or "Low end community" ..

if you say that's enterprise standard then ok.> @DennisdeWit said:

IIRC, my Supermicro server has a HTML5 console as well. You can also mount iso’s by providing a direct URL. I have done that many times in my console.

And sure, if you choose a different brand you can go with iLO, iDRAC or whatever floats your boat.

"Web ISO" option you mean? It ain't working for me.

Anyway, yeah I can mount ISO directly and despite 100Mbps link upload is slow (2 Mb/s). Also I can't mount samba shares, maybe my hosting is blocking inbound 445 port

Thanks for info ppl

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

@johnex31 said: Many hosts does not provide Windows at all, also my server is "unmanaged"

99% of hosts will do you 1st install if you ask, that does not have anything with managed or unmanaged process. Majority of hosts have that as part of delivery process. You may get surprised if you just ask.

• @ruben said:

DennisdeWit said: IIRC, my Supermicro server has a HTML5 console as well.

It depends on the BIOS version ;) Old ones, probably like this one, require an update, which can be a pain with old boards.

And after all, why Windows Server?

Thanks, yes I have HTML5 console, but there is no mounting option.
    Why not? it shouldn't really matter, the problem isn't related to the OS :)

@robohost said:
    I always use vultr windows vps nearest to the server and mount virtual iso

Seems like the most reasonable solution, as right now my server is on the other continent and the upload is awful, thanks.

• @drserver said:

@johnex31 said: Many hosts does not provide Windows at all, also my server is "unmanaged"

99% of hosts will do you 1st install if you ask, that does not have anything with managed or unmanaged process. Majority of hosts have that as part of delivery process. You may get surprised if you just ask.

Och didn't know that, thanks, that's some useful info.

• Over the years, the only combo that I have seen to work with Supermicro IPMI is Windows XP and Java 6.

• @saibal said:
    Over the years, the only combo that I have seen to work with Supermicro IPMI is Windows XP and Java 6.

Does that mean that Supermicro is rusty?

• @saibal said:
    Over the years, the only combo that I have seen to work with Supermicro IPMI is Windows XP and Java 6.

On my server I can log in using Java 9 and Windows 10.

Also, when I use Web ISO it’s quite fast. I also use the console on a different RDP server and the iso’s are loaded quickly. Are you sure it’s not a problem on the providers end, @johnex31?

• @DennisdeWit said:

@saibal said:

On my server I can log in using Java 9 and Windows 10.

Also, when I use Web ISO it’s quite fast. I also use the console on a different RDP server and the iso’s are loaded quickly. Are you sure it’s not a problem on the providers end, @johnex31?

Can you explain how to use Web ISO? This option does not seem to work for me

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Fire up a Windows VM at an hourly provider like Vultr, install Java, and then do the install that way using the virtual media.

Or if your provider is helpful, you can ask them to stick your ISO on a network share in the DC and give you the access details - or create a bootable USB for you and plug it in.

• @Harambe said:
    Fire up a Windows VM at an hourly provider like Vultr, install Java, and then do the install that way using the virtual media.

Or if your provider is helpful, you can ask them to stick your ISO on a network share in the DC and give you the access details - or create a bootable USB for you and plug it in.

wrong.

• BinaryLaneBinaryLane Member, Host Rep

In regards to the applet, Supermicro have software you can download called "IPMIView" - it has a bundled version of Java that works well with their iKVM solution even on Windows 10.

• @BinaryLane said:
    In regards to the applet, Supermicro have software you can download called "IPMIView" - it has a bundled version of Java that works well with their iKVM solution even on Windows 10.

you dont know wut ur talkin bout

• @johnex31 said: Does that mean that Supermicro is rusty?

Some older versions of their IPMI only work on older versions of Java. Unless you are going for the latest mobos (which most LE provider's don't have) chances are you would be stuck with one of those.

@DennisdeWit said: On my server I can log in using Java 9 and Windows 10.

Depends on your motherboard. See above. You might also be able to get Java 9 and Win 10 play nicely with Supermicro if you give it enough time and sanity :smiley:

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@saibal said:

@johnex31 said: Does that mean that Supermicro is rusty?

Some older versions of their IPMI only work on older versions of Java. Unless you are going for the latest mobos (which most LE provider's don't have) chances are you would be stuck with one of those.

X9 and X10 boards are what I have and haven't seen issues, might be X8 stuff that's getting quirky in newer Java versions.

To op: worth trying to update the IPMI firmware to the latest version if an update is available.

Most of the Java errors on old IPMI firmware are related to the security settings and certs. Like going into the Java config and turning off TLS 1.2 and 1.1 is required for some old HP ILO systems - as well as adding security exceptions.

• SH_DreamSH_Dream Member, Host Rep

I may can give you access to our IPXE wich contains Windows. But its acctualy only tested for legacy modus not uefi.

• @BinaryLane said:

This software is designed for LAN, I think.

@Harambe said:

@saibal said:

@johnex31 said: Does that mean that Supermicro is rusty?

X9 and X10 boards are what I have and haven't seen issues, might be X8 stuff that's getting quirky in newer Java versions.

To op: worth trying to update the IPMI firmware to the latest version if an update is available.

Most of the Java errors on old IPMI firmware are related to the security settings and certs. Like going into the Java config and turning off TLS 1.2 and 1.1 is required for some old HP ILO systems - as well as adding security exceptions.

Yeah adding security exception worked for me, I can now turn on application.

@SH_Dream said:
    I may can give you access to our IPXE wich contains Windows. But its acctualy only tested for legacy modus not uefi.

Thanks, I already succesfully booted Windows Installer from netboot.xyz, but what now? Windows Installer can't see iPXE network drive and is asking me to insert installation disk. Or at least I think it can't recognize it mounted as normal drive (idk exactly how iPXE works).

In general, I miss easy configuration like it was in case of VM :disappointed: