Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is AOL mail really out of date?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is AOL mail really out of date?

jpengjpeng Barred

I have an AOL mail account used for many years.

I use it to sign up different websites, and the people around me know this address only.

But other people tell me that using AOL mail is out of date, looks I am a old man.

So how do you think of it? will I switch to a more popular domain like gmail/outlook?

Thanks.

Comments

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

If it still works what's the problem? I think my mother still uses her AOL address shes had for years. She doesn't care. Still works fine as far as I know.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Some people still use a hotmail account. I also don't see the issue.

If you want to personalize your account name, then get your own domain and email hosting for it.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2019

Apparently one can still sign up for a new account . So not out of date!

login dot aol dot com

You’ve got mail !!

• Not out of date, but it certainly does give an indication of one's age. If it works, and you're happy with it, keep using it!

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

AOL itself is out of date...

Thanked by 1skorous
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Oh I remember AOL Dialup, was just a faff back in the day, unplugging the phone and putting in the dialup modem. Then being moaned at because my grandparents couldn't get through. Still, to this day, they still ask me why can I phone you if you've got the internet plugged in.

• "...I can even send email on the internet..."

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

“My favorite, live chat....that's where I met my new kayaking buddies..."

Ewww.

• Relax. Let's talk more in AIM.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Thank you for calling America Online technical support, my name is Jarland. Can I have your screen name please?

Before I let you go I just want to let you know that AOL has arranged for you to receive $25 in free shopping money, just for trying AOL's NetMarket. If you hold on the line for about 60 seconds, an operator will come on and give you more details. Thank you again for calling American Online technical support.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • TKKTKK Member

It's not out of date, it is still working, but more popular platforms like Gmail have a lot of updated feature that is really useful and user-friendly for example AOL doesn't have application and I guess it is more secure.

• If that works for you and meets your needs, forget what others say.

AOL is the Oldsmobile of email.

It works. If you know it, it's comfortable. But you're more likely to be a senior citizen than an X Games competitor.

• M66BM66B Veteran

No IMAP push message support, what's more to say?

• Does hotmail also out of date?... I started to use it 3 years ago.

• I still use a msn email from where we had msn dialup. You'd be changing every few years if it mattered about having the most recent thing.

At various points I used CompuServe, GEnie, and Prodigy. But I never used AOL.

Maybe that's why they kept sending me so many CDs.

Thanked by 1Jord
  • MillenniunnsMillenniunns Member
    edited August 2019

I prefer to use live.com, the domain looks good. lol

• Hang on, gotta launch my dial up connection to check if I got any emails in the last 20 years.

• No, we at 2x4.ru actually use AOL mail for having copies of our emails (BCC). AOL is more secure than gmail and yahoo.