Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server with Consumer class Motherboard
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server with Consumer class Motherboard

Hi,

I'm looking for a dedicated server with a consumer class motherboard (not supermicro).
The reason is I need a motherboard with onboard audio on it.

i7-4790 (or similar, passmark 9k up preferred)
16-32GB RAM
256GB SSD (or larger)
1Gbps port (5-10TB, your best offer)
Free KVM on request
2 IPs (better if /29)
USA Preferred but could be anywhere, please provide a test IP.

I currently pay $55 at reliablesite for a similar spec server but they use supermicro so I need to move. Anything below $55 would be nice.

Btw, I already have a server with Hetzner.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• per0xideper0xide Member
    edited August 2019

have you thought about just shipping a PCI audio card (or USB?) to Reliablesite and asking them nicely to install it?

btw, what is the audio used for? to play sweet tunes to the datacenter techs?

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

Our Xeon E3 1245 v2s have audio onboard although they aren't consumer class.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

SoYouStart uses consumer boards

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2019

Almost the entire Kimsufi lineup should have one (and for very cheap), but as I see they don't really match your requirements.

On the other hand most likely there should be a solution/workaround to this requirement, I could see the need for a GPU, but presence of a sound card can be emulated easily in KVM, VirtualBox and such.

• zeze said: Btw, I already have a server with Hetzner.

Does it have audio? Do you need audio input and output both, and does it have them? Is the quality ok? Inquiring minds, heh.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited August 2019

Well, this is a new kind of request. Interesting.

What can one do with the on board DAC/DSP on a headless host?

• @vimalware asked:

@per0xide answered:
    to play sweet tunes to the datacenter techs

• vimalware said: What can one do with the on board DAC/DSP on a headless host?

Play my 🔥 mixtape to NOC staff.

• vimalware said: What can one do with the on board DAC/DSP on a headless host?

Capture DRM'd streaming audio by feeding it back to the input port.

• @willie said:

vimalware said: What can one do with the on board DAC/DSP on a headless host?

Ooh. Nice

Thanked by 1hzr
  • serverofferserveroffer Member, Patron Provider

Can do AMD Ryzen 5 2600, EU, no KVM, test IP

• zezezeze Member

@vimalware said:
    Well, this is a new kind of request. Interesting.

I use Sam Broadcaster for automation and OBS picks up the audio, mix it with video then stream it to Youtube/Twitch.

Using VAC or any 'software audio cards', kvm, vmware, etc. won't work. Sam Broadcaster or RadioDJ will play for a while then crash.

• serveroffer said: Can do AMD Ryzen 5 2600, EU, no KVM, test IP

Got a url for this?

• @willie said:

vimalware said: What can one do with the on board DAC/DSP on a headless host?

I thought you can do that with virtual audio card? Choose the audio output as the virtual card and it'll create a wav file with the recording...

• It wouldn't surprise me if DRM drivers check for that somehow. Thus the requirement of a hardware card.