Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for storage provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for storage provider

I'm looking to migrate home NAS to cloud for geo-redundancy and use over network. It's mainly family photos, etc - total around 5TB with possibility to grow to 8TB and so on in next 5 years. Most of existing options don't sound compelling with their prices over 400$/yearly. Most of data is cold, but it would be good to have access instant if needed to open some photo from 10 years ago(Google Storage fits unlike AWS Glacier, but expensive). The best one I saw was CEPH with redundancy in one country for around 300$/y, but it would be good to have something with decent peering and/or geo-redundant.

Comments

• 8 TB geo-redundant storage for $300/y, let me know when you find it :smiley:

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited August 2019

RAID-6 5TB disk storage @ $269.50/year:
    https://www.smarthost.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=183

Our Storage VPS plans start at $6.95/month for 1TB, plus $5/month for each 1TB added on to that.

• Dacentec spinning rust, 8TB for 300$/yr :sweat_smile:

• Get a GSuite with unlimited Google Drive. It's 10.4€/mo. I already have around 12TB stored there. The minimum 5 user requirement is not enforced and you have unlimited storage even with one user.

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • williewillie Member
    edited August 2019

dimon222 said: total around 5TB with possibility to grow to 8TB and so on in next 5 years. Most of existing options don't sound compelling with their prices over 400$/yearly.

5TB for $400/y is $6.66/TB/m which is not bad at all, depending on the host, what you are getting, etc. There are some LET providers with regular $5/m storage offers that are usually VPS in a single location, though with raid or local replicas. You can sometimes get under $5 with promo offers or large dedis. Anything with distributed replication will cost more.

I'm skeptical of "unlimited" google drive (or AWS etc.) for reasons you've probably encountered already, but others around here users and like it.

• @willie said:

dimon222 said: total around 5TB with possibility to grow to 8TB and so on in next 5 years. Most of existing options don't sound compelling with their prices over 400$/yearly.

5TB for $400/y is $6.66/TB/m which is not bad at all, depending on the host, what you are getting, etc. There are some LET providers with regular $5/m storage offers that are usually VPS in a single location, though with raid or local replicas. You can sometimes get under $5 with promo offers or large dedis. Anything with distributed replication will cost more.

I'm skeptical of "unlimited" google drive (or AWS etc.) for reasons you've probably encuntered already, but others around here users and like it.

encuntered

• lol, fixed. ;P

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • my choice is hetzner

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Packet or Backblaze B2