Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DDOS Attack on CS 1.6 Server VPS [OVH GAME] - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DDOS Attack on CS 1.6 Server VPS [OVH GAME]

2»

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited August 2019

@amsaal said:

@stefeman said:
    Because it attempts to access http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/cstrike/ by using multiple user agents, which is what the game client will do if something goes wrong.

You also have insane amount of custom files that get downloaded on first join, so i'm not surprised about the amount of connections xD

Negative bro. He is checking after attacking if web works :P he knows that i have /cstrike but who ever he is i am aware of it .. tomorrow i am going to block this attack :) method

Then all good :) I would suggest seperating fastdl server from the gameserver just in case theres an attack that tries to exhaust webserver resources. Especially if you run 32/32 CS 1.6 server on a small VPS server.

Thanked by 1pike
  • @stefeman said:

@amsaal said:

@stefeman said:
    Because it attempts to access http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/cstrike/ by using multiple user agents, which is what the game client will do if something goes wrong.

You also have insane amount of custom files that get downloaded on first join, so i'm not surprised about the amount of connections xD

Negative bro. He is checking after attacking if web works :P he knows that i have /cstrike but who ever he is i am aware of it .. tomorrow i am going to block this attack :) method

Then all good :) I would suggest seperating fastdl server from the gameserver just in case theres an attack that tries to exhaust webserver resources. Especially if you run 32/32 CS 1.6 server on a small VPS server.

yes separating would be better :) Thanks for advise.

• You'd have to ask ertug of gmchosting for hosting. He is the only one who fully blocks all the a2s hl2 L7 ddos that ovh game cannot.

• @AlexJones said:
    You'd have to ask ertug of gmchosting for hosting. He is the only one who fully blocks all the a2s hl2 L7 ddos that ovh game cannot.

Doesn't look like they do CS 1.6.

Anyway most L7 attacks on game servers can be blocked with iptables as well, we've done this successfully for a long time now.

OVH is perfect to filter out the L4 stuff but the Anti-ddos game is not updated very regularly to prevent new methods so you always need custom rules.

• They don't do cs 1.6 but with enough $ ertug will do anything. You will not be able to block the advanced L7 attacks without his help unless you are very knowledge able about L7 attacks and have the infrastructure

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

IMHO OVH's filtering is pretty basic. You may want to ban the biggest streams / networks and see if you can keep your backend up with that alone. Looks to be about 100k PPS on that PCAP, it might be possible due its small size.

AlexJones said: He is the only one

I highly doubt he is the only person or company blocking a known and common attack.

Thanked by 1Swiftnode
  • I read and I am confused.
    I have a game panel (custom) Now I start to open Cs 1.6 game servers , OPenvz vps, and I do not have DDOS protect. what I need to do?

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • @AlexJones said:
    They don't do cs 1.6 but with enough $ ertug will do anything. You will not be able to block the advanced L7 attacks without his help unless you are very knowledge able about L7 attacks and have the infrastructure

Sure with enough $ you can get anything done :smiley:

I'm just saying L7 attacks usually don't saturate your bandwidth if you have at least 1 gbps.

All you need is tcpdump, wireshark and iptables and they are not so hard to block on the endpoint but yes you have to know what you're doing.

• @zomby1 said:
    I read and I am confused.
    I have a game panel (custom) Now I start to open Cs 1.6 game servers , OPenvz vps, and I do not have DDOS protect. what I need to do?

Yes you do need a DDOS Protection and if you server is popular it benefits you in many ways.

Thanked by 1zomby1
  • @amsaal said:

@zomby1 said:

Yes you do need a DDOS Protection and if you server is popular it benefits you in many ways.

For how much? 10?20?1?

• @zomby1 said:

@amsaal said:

@zomby1 said:

For how much? 10?20?1?

you mean price?

• @SplitIce said:
    IMHO OVH's filtering is pretty basic. You may want to ban the biggest streams / networks and see if you can keep your backend up with that alone. Looks to be about 100k PPS on that PCAP, it might be possible due its small size.

AlexJones said: He is the only one

I highly doubt he is the only person or company blocking a known and common attack.

It is not a known and common attack. There are many private A2S methods out there.

• @marvel said:

@AlexJones said:
    They don't do cs 1.6 but with enough $ ertug will do anything. You will not be able to block the advanced L7 attacks without his help unless you are very knowledge able about L7 attacks and have the infrastructure

Sure with enough $ you can get anything done :smiley:

I'm just saying L7 attacks usually don't saturate your bandwidth if you have at least 1 gbps.

All you need is tcpdump, wireshark and iptables and they are not so hard to block on the endpoint but yes you have to know what you're doing.

Some A2S methods you cannot block because they will not be able to connect. You have to cache the queries efficiently

• @amsaal said:

@zomby1 said:

@amsaal said:

@zomby1 said:

For how much? 10?20?1?

you mean price?

There is 10GBPS etc...
    So I mean how much need and which?
    I do not understand it much :neutral:

• @zomby1 said:

@amsaal said:

@zomby1 said:

@amsaal said:

@zomby1 said:

For how much? 10?20?1?

you mean price?

There is 10GBPS etc...

i can't decide for you what VPS would be good. You can search here and see reviews first before you can trial and test it. Some providers give you a free trial check them out.

• @amsaal said:

@zomby1 said:

@amsaal said:

@zomby1 said:

@amsaal said:

@zomby1 said:

For how much? 10?20?1?

you mean price?

There is 10GBPS etc...

i can't decide for you what VPS would be good. You can search here and see reviews first before you can trial and test it. Some providers give you a free trial check them out.

Sir, It come with amount -> 1/10/20/50 etc.. how much you have?

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • amsaalamsaal Member
    edited August 2019

mine is 19 EUR paying monthly. 21.10 USD according to google

• @amsaal I think @zomby1 is asking what's your mitigation capacity (Gbps), not price.

Thanked by 1zomby1
  • @ITLabs said:
    @amsaal I think @zomby1 is asking what's your mitigation capacity (Gbps), not price.

@amsaal said:
    mine is 19 EUR paying monthly. 21.10 USD according to google

Yes sir!
    What is the "mitigation capacity (Gbps)"

And There is a cheap ddos protect that is not my vps hosts?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@zomby1 mitigation capacity is the maximum amount of Gbps of attack a provider will take.

Please note many providers fudge this number, and not all protection is created equal. Gbps is a big differentiating feature, but often high Gbps at a low price means low quality.

Price <-> Quality <-> Quantity choose 2.

Thanked by 1zomby1