Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Psychz Virginia down - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Psychz Virginia down

2»

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@ITLabs said:

@9gigsofram said:
    Was lightning the issue when psychz LA went out three times in one week too?

Who said lightning never strikes thrice in the same place?

Well, as soon something gets hit by lightning, it creates a magnetic field, which redirects any lightning strikes to a different spot.

Obviously, the cooldown depends on how long it keeps the charge, most of the time, it discharges instantly, which results in instant clearance.

So you better somewhere else.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

We're back up in Virginia, if you're still down please reach out to our support desk and we'll take a look.

• Having been on shift getting servers back online after a DC outage, I really feel for the staff at Atlantic Metro - I'll bet there are some very tired people there right now!

While there's likely some better design decisions that could have been made here; shit happens even when you plan for it. It's all about how they improve things from here.

• @AuroraZ said:

@terrorgen said:

@sparek said:
    Apparently it's lightning in the area... so the datacenter decided to just not take any chances and pull the plug on the whole datacenter.

Hope lightning isn't very common in the area.

You're supposed to have generators for events like this

NVM was going to educate you, but if you can't be bothered to google then you have the problem not them.

I thought you were taking a break from LET because your attitude admittedly sucked? You really do have a problem if you WERE going to educate but not if they couldn't search themselves? That makes no sense and some kind of emotional response. Take that break, dude. You need a Snickers.

Datacenters are supposed to have generators for when their super reliable power source temporarily go down, operation continues. That's 100% true. There's nothing wrong with that question/statement. So wtf are you exactly asking him to Google? Even if you gave that response to a super dumb question, you should at least hint at what to Google for the answer. Your response was useless and unhelpful.

So, you could have said something totally useful like:
    "The problem isn't generating local power, it's that the cooling system is damaged and would overheat all the equipment in short time. They didn't have a backup cooling plan for if their only Air conditioners died."

SmartHost provided a very good response. What it means, was they had a single point of failure in their backup power plan, something the customer thinks is handled. That's a flaw in DC design.

• CtcCtc Member
    edited August 2019

Mod Edit: Dont need that crap around here.

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
    edited August 2019

@TimboJones said:

@AuroraZ said:

@terrorgen said:

@sparek said:
    Apparently it's lightning in the area... so the datacenter decided to just not take any chances and pull the plug on the whole datacenter.

NVM was going to educate you, but if you can't be bothered to google then you have the problem not them.

I thought you were taking a break from LET because your attitude admittedly sucked? You really do have a problem if you WERE going to educate but not if they couldn't search themselves? That makes no sense and some kind of emotional response. Take that break, dude. You need a Snickers.

Datacenters are supposed to have generators for when their super reliable power source temporarily go down, operation continues. That's 100% true. There's nothing wrong with that question/statement. So wtf are you exactly asking him to Google? Even if you gave that response to a super dumb question, you should at least hint at what to Google for the answer. Your response was useless and unhelpful.

"The problem isn't generating local power, it's that the cooling system is damaged and would overheat all the equipment in short time. They didn't have a backup cooling plan for if their only Air conditioners died."

SmartHost provided a very good response. What it means, was they had a single point of failure in their backup power plan, something the customer thinks is handled. That's a flaw in DC design.

Two things this and your attitude are why my "break" was happening.

Secondly ten seconds of google is not worth me writing out a drawn out story that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Third a generator DOES NOT negate 1 millions joules of raw power taking down a D.C. or anything else electrical for that matter. If you had payed attention when some one taught you something then you might know from basic science, that lightening is NOT to be fucked with regardless if you have a generator or not. It will and, has on many occasions, blown generators and people right out the fucken door.

Now if the entire building was shielded from not only lightening, but the EMP caused by said lightening, you may stand a chance.

https://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/questions-generators-lightning-71606/

Take what you will from what it said there, but they are exactly right, and I know because I have seen it.

I am out and have fun with your bullshit @TimboJones

• @AuroraZ said:

@TimboJones said:

@AuroraZ said:

@terrorgen said:

@sparek said:

Two things this and your attitude are why my "break" was happening.

Secondly ten seconds of google is not worth me writing out a drawn out story that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Third a generator DOES NOT negate 1 millions joules of raw power taking down a D.C. or anything else electrical for that matter. If you had payed attention when some one taught you something then you might know from basic science, that lightening is NOT to be fucked with regardless if you have a generator or not. It will and, has on many occasions, blown generators and people right out the fucken door.

Now if the entire building was shielded from not only lightening, but the EMP caused by said lightening, you may stand a chance.

https://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/questions-generators-lightning-71606/

Take what you will from what it said there, but they are exactly right, and I know because I have seen it.

I am out and have fun with your bullshit @TimboJones

So to be clear, your response had nothing to do with insufficient cooling (which was the reason for not running then), just safety precautions of running generators in a lightning storm?

First paragraph of first response to the link you provided:
    "Aug 16, 2014 · #2
    As far as I can tell, **there's no difference regarding lightning due to the generator powering itself and the loads. If the electrical system is safe from lightning, for instance, if it's completely indoors with no conducting path to the outside (Apart from the earth/soil, of course), then there's no reason to shut it down. **The only exception is radio equipment, which may pick the high electromagnetic noise and the powerful electromagnetic pulses from the thunderstorm may endanger it."

And as far as I can recall, this is the first time responding to you for being a poor letizen, so don't blame me for your issues. This is a discussion forum, I provide reasons for anything I'm saying. You chose not to discuss the issue, on a discussion forum, instead crapping on him to Google something he wasn't thinking of to get an unclear answer.

I don't know what long drawn out story you thought you had to write, you could have said, "for safety reasons, they shouldn't turn on the generators during a lightning storm where there was a nearby strike". This is simply the point I'm making. It was the same effort to provide a helpful response as your crappy response.

Every one has different experiences. I live in Vancouver area. We get rain like a mofo and lightning storms. At my old company, if main power went out, the generator would be fired up and portable AC unit switched to generator. But this was a single server room, not a DC.

The old business was also in wireless outdoor radios where towers were typically fit with generators. The rules were to never climb the tower in a storm, but in 13 years, I've never heard customers turn off their generators during storms (Ethernet ports and radio ports could often get taken out, but having them powered or not makes no difference). There's lightning rods on the base of the tower and rods on the can with all the equipment.

If all power needed to be shut off whenever a lightning storm happened, I'd wonder why more people aren't complaining about climate change.

I don't know you or have a problem with you, just this one, crappy reply that could have been better. I've made my point. PM if you have a problem with me, this doesn't need to continue in this thread.

• I detect possible PMS..must be that time of the month.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2019

GeoBeo said: This is George from Psychz Networks. We've gotten word from the facility (atlantic metro IAD4) that during a storm, lightning struct their condensers and out of abundance of caution, power had to be cut to equipment to protect it from overheating.

I don't know what you guys are going on about, but they didn't just shut off stuff because of lightning. They stated that lightning struck the condenser (probably causing issues with its operation, it to possibly heat up, it to possibly conduct a surge back through the power path, etc). So my understanding of what occurred was they likely had a bad storm, got alerts from their equipment showing a surge and issues with the condenser. To protect equipment they likely cut power to the condensing unit. Once power is cut to this unit it is a short amount of time before the DC heats up because moisture can not accurately be removed and / or the AC systems directly fail after the condenser failure to prevent further damage to the system. At this point you are forced to cut power to equipment to prevent overheating and then certain failure of equipment not made to handle higher levels of heat stress.

It sounds like once this occurred they then brought in temporary cooling equipment to get things back down to temperature so they could restore operations while they work to replaced the failed main condenser system and bring things back online.

You two, @TimboJones and @AuroraZ went on to make it sound like this was an arbitrary decision they made and that power distribution was some how involved in this issue. It doesn't sound that way at all. It instead sounds as if they had an important part of their system struck by weather and because of that failure they were forced to shut things down to protect from overheating the DC. Once cooling equipment could be placed, things were brought back online and restored.

@GeoBeo please feel free to comment further if I have any of this wrong?

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug

I read the post about the condenser getting hit and the issue was cooling. I'm on the same page as you.

The long posts are about me calling out Aurora for not contributing to the thread in a constructive manner. It was unknown to me what he expected another user to Google something (my point was it would have been just as easy to say his point than to tell someone they should Google some unknown obvious answer), and it was him who said was for safety. I then went on to say that hasn't been my experience and generators are run in storms all the time.

If this forum was filled with responses that just said to Google something and can't be bothered to explain basic points, it would suck hard and be pointless. That was my reason for calling out Aurora. Sorry if it got too long. I should have just said, "if you have nothing useful to add, don't".

Thanked by 2TheLinuxBug willK