Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD Epyc 7401P or Dual E5-2670v2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AMD Epyc 7401P or Dual E5-2670v2

Hi,

AMD Epyc 7401P or Dual E5-2670v2?

Game-Servers: Team Fortress 2 - Counter-strike 1.6

I have now 4x ded's - 1270v2,1270v3,1230v2 - cpu loaded - 70% on all ded's

any opinions?

Thank you

Comments

• Probably the intel one, higher core clock, higher overall bench with fewer cores. The ryzen stuff is missing the IPC improvements of the zen2 arch.

Most gameservers are single-threaded, so fewer threads with the same score would be beneficial.

Thanked by 1dedimark
  • How much will you be paying for each config?

• Clock speed difference isn't that large, especially considering the E5v2's older architecture. 7401P should be faster but I don't know where to get them as cheaply as some E5 offers that I've seen. I'd like to hope more Zen 2 servers will show up soon, so I'd hold out for one of those.

Thanked by 1dedimark
  • dedimarkdedimark Member
    edited August 2019

@CyberneticTitan said:
    How much will you be paying for each config?

AMD Epyc 7401P - 150$
    E5-2670v2 - 170$
    Both in Frankurt but different dc's.

• You need high clock not more cores.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

You need high clock not more cores.

I dunno.. the 1270v3 has a single core passmark of 2200 and 4 cores.

The E5-2670v2 has a single core passmark of 1600 and 20 cores (assuming dual). Slightly less performant, but you can load up twice the number of servers.

I used to run a 10-12 user private CS server (128 tick) on a 2GB linode instance.