Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colo around NJ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colo around NJ

Any good colos in the 1hr-2hr vicinity of Central NJ. I'm mostly focused on price so I want to host my 2U 3A box with 1gbps. Seems maybe I can get good deals in the Delaware/Pennsylvania/Maryland area?

Comments

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

What type of budget are you looking for?
    Do you need 1Gbps unmetered or just a 1G port?

• donileodonileo Member
    edited August 2019

I want 1gbps internet connection to my server. I am fine if there is a bandwidth cap of 20-30TB monthly. As far as budget anything less than or equal to $100-125/mo would be great. I understand that may be a bit hard here in NJ but again I am fine with anywhere in the 1-2hr vicinity of Central NJ. Also lets go with 4A on 120v as my requirement.

What type of server are you looking to colo?

2.5-3 amps you should be able to find something in the $125-140 range in NY/NJ, 4amps is stretching that a bit tight.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited August 2019

I live in northern Delaware and have scoped out potential colo providers a good while back. I also was looking to colo a 4A server. There's nothing in DE that's a reasonable price, PA maybe since there's Quonix in Philly (who @launchvps colos with) and a couple providers at the DC in Wilkes-Barre. NJ really only has providers close to NYC/Piscataway area. You'll want to send emails in to sales@ to get some quotes, especially due to your high-power needs.

After much searching I was going to pull the trigger on FDCServers' colo offer in NYC since it was for unlim power (insert emp. Palpatine meme.jpg) and 1 Gbps dedicated for $99/mo. One caveat is that they use single-homed Cogent (something I was willing to live with for my usage, but it's certainly not for everyone). I ultimately decided against it because I moved and was able to get fiber at my new place, so my server is comfortably lounging in my shed. Here's the relevant WHT offer thread for FDC if that'd be something that you're interested in -> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1713940. The same offer hasn't been posted recently so you'll have to reach out to see if they'll still honor the deal.

Good luck! And I'd be interested to know who you end up going with. :)

• donileodonileo Member
    edited August 2019

I definitely get the NJ/NY area will be expensive hence why I am fine with it not being there. A reasonable price is the one of the key priorities here. As for the type of server is a pretty standard 2U, I don't expect it to be pulling 3-4A constantly (possibly in bursts).

• Had one server colo'd at Piscataway. No hassle so far.

We could most likely fit this into your budget in our New York location. Just depends on the real amount of power usage as that's the biggest costs.