Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS/Dedicated Server Needed For Gaming Community
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS/Dedicated Server Needed For Gaming Community

Hello All,

I currently have an upcoming gaming community, and would like to use a VPS/Dedicated Server for a game called "Garry's Mod". I have 3 game modes separate within Garry's Mod they are called; TTT, Prop Hunt & Sandbox.

VZ Type; KVM
CPU: Intel i3 - Or higher.
RAM: 3/4 GB
Disk Space: 30/40 SSD or 60 HDD
Bandwidth: 1 TB or 2 TB
Port Speed: 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps
DDoS Protection: Yes.
Number of IPs: 3 Dedicated IPs.
Budget: $50/60 - (£40-50) I am currently based in the UK.
Billing Period: Monthly.

Comments

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Recommend @Clouvider for a dedi but not sure on their availability of something of that spec? Their VPS are good too but won't be i3 spec.

• @Mr_Tom said:
    Recommend @Clouvider for a dedi but not sure on their availability of something of that spec? Their VPS are good too but won't be i3 spec.

That is fine, thank you for the recommendation. I will be sure to check out the plans they offer.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

You can get an i7 in that budget from Hetzners auction too if you wanted something with more "desktop" hardware and dedicated. Would be EU though not UK.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • ExtraVM - Don't know about extra IPs tho.
    HostDoc - In addition to their website, also check the Flash Sales offers.

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • @Zare has great deals in the UK as well, along with their amazing network mix.

Thanked by 2ITLabs Zare
  • ZareZare Member, Host Rep
  • @Mr_Tom said:
    You can get an i7 in that budget from Hetzners auction too if you wanted something with more "desktop" hardware and dedicated. Would be EU though not UK.

I checked them out eariler today and the prices are reasonable, most of my player base would be related to the EU & UK so that is perfect.

• @AC_Fan said:
    ExtraVM - Don't know about extra IPs tho.

Thank you for the recommendation, I will be sure to check out the plans they offer, including the web hosting provided.

• @Zare said:
    We do VDS on our gaming brand - https://nitrous-networks.com/virtual-dedicated-servers

What current CPU do you provide with these plans ?

• @t0ny0 said:
    @Zare has great deals in the UK as well, along with their amazing network mix.

Thanks for the recommendation, I have checked Zare a few times before, and the network locations are great for what I need.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Laton said:

@AC_Fan said:
    ExtraVM - Don't know about extra IPs tho.

Thank you for the recommendation, I will be sure to check out the plans they offer, including the web hosting provided.

My London servers use i7-7700K, IPs are normally limited to 2 per server but if you just need 3 I could do it.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • amsaalamsaal Member
    edited August 2019

@Laton said:

@t0ny0 said:

Thanks for the recommendation, I have checked Zare a few times before, and the network locations are great for what I need.

i suggest you go for zare or ExtraVM for gaming. Never bother to go for a VPS since what you want is a dedicated resource.

EDIT: VDS is what you want.

• We have an i7-6700k in Germany that could fit your needs. Check this thread for our latest offers which will be added to LET shortly.

3vCores @ 4.0Ghz
    2GB RAM
    30GB SSD
    Unlimited BW @ 1gbps
    £3.49/m | £38/y

Additional RAM can be added for £1.49/GB

We also have E2136 NVMe in UK and France.
    We offer up to 6 IPs per instance after which justification will need to be provided.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • ServerHunterServerHunter Member, Host Rep

Here are some dedicated server options:
    https://www.serverhunter.com/?search=34C-2C5-345

And here is everything including VPS:
    https://www.serverhunter.com/?search=B59-24F-E23

Good luck :)

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • @HostDoc said:
    We have an i7-6700k in Germany that could fit your needs. Check this thread for our latest offers which will be added to LET shortly.

3vCores @ 4.0Ghz
    2GB RAM
    30GB SSD
    Unlimited BW @ 1gbps
    £3.49/m | £38/y

Additional RAM can be added for £1.49/GB

We also have E2136 NVMe in UK and France.
    We offer up to 6 IPs per instance after which justification will need to be provided.

Thank you, I will be sure to check it out.

• @amsaal said:

@Laton said:

@t0ny0 said:

i suggest you go for zare or ExtraVM for gaming. Never bother to go for a VPS since what you want is a dedicated resource.

EDIT: VDS is what you want.

True, I am currently attempting to test a VPS to see if it suites my needs.

• @ServerHunter said:
    Here are some dedicated server options:
    https://www.serverhunter.com/?search=34C-2C5-345

And here is everything including VPS:
    https://www.serverhunter.com/?search=B59-24F-E23

Good luck :)

Thank you, I have checked the website a few time before, and I will be sure to check it again.

Thanked by 1ServerHunter
  • @Laton if you plan to only have garry's mod you won't need a dedi. I had a TTT server on a vps 2.1GHz with around 16-20 players on it. The game barely needed any resources.
    The offer @HostDoc wrote in here seems fine tho you may want to have 3GB Ram if you plan to run 3 Servers at once just to be sure. Some maps/additional mods can eat up some more Ram from what I can remember.

• I send you a pm, hope that's ok :)

• LatonLaton Member
    edited August 2019

@blackjack4494 said:
    @Laton if you plan to only have garry's mod you won't need a dedi. I had a TTT server on a vps 2.1GHz with around 16-20 players on it. The game barely needed any resources.
    The offer @HostDoc wrote in here seems fine tho you may want to have 3GB Ram if you plan to run 3 Servers at once just to be sure. Some maps/additional mods can eat up some more Ram from what I can remember.

Thank you for the information, I currently have a game shared hosting plan, and only use 400-500 MB on idle.

Edit; For 1 current server, but can reach up to 1Gbit.

• Keep in mind I'm pretty sure these are single threaded so high clock rate is better. Source games don't use much resources though.

• @SirFoxy said:
    Keep in mind I'm pretty sure these are single threaded so high clock rate is better. Source games don't use much resources though.

You have no idea.. if its modded, it will be cancer to run.

• @stefeman said:

@SirFoxy said:
    Keep in mind I'm pretty sure these are single threaded so high clock rate is better. Source games don't use much resources though.

I've ran 90 player darkrps, wasn't that bad.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited August 2019

@SirFoxy said:

@stefeman said:

@SirFoxy said:

Thats Gmod, not cs:s or cs:go, or l4d2 any one of those latters can take a lot of RAM and get a single core to constant 100% easily with right configuration.

Its not the players that lag neccessarily but the AI, map effects and especially the entities and mods.

• @stefeman said:

@SirFoxy said:

@stefeman said:

@SirFoxy said:

Thats Gmod, not cs:s or cs:go, or l4d2 any one of those latters can take a lot of RAM and get a single core to constant 100% easily with right configuration.

Its not the players that lag neccessarily but the AI, map effects and especially the entities and mods.

I've ran every single types of these servers, css takes even less, l4d2 is minimal due to player count, and Cs:go takes about the same if not less because Gmod servers usually have way too much shit on it and more players.

None of these games take very much resources, just have a high clock cpu, ddos protection, an SSD, and some ram.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited August 2019

@SirFoxy said:

@stefeman said:

@SirFoxy said:

@stefeman said:

@SirFoxy said:

I've ran every single types of these servers, css takes even less, l4d2 is minimal due to player count, and Cs:go takes about the same if not less because Gmod servers usually have way too much shit on it and more players.

None of these games take very much resources, just have a high clock cpu, ddos protection, an SSD, and some ram.

CS:S/CS:GO Zombie escape servers take quite a lot of resources at 64 slots, especially with additional mods.

Vanilla L4D2 server takes nothing, but try to run heavily modded 24-32 slots coop/versus with close to 2000 entities and hundreds of zombies. Source engine is very unoptimized unfortunately, so you need a dedicated core and few gigs of RAM at least.

Not neccessarily a dedi, but many providers would suspend you due to CPU being close to or at 100% 24/7 on more popular servers.

• @stefeman said:

@SirFoxy said:

@stefeman said:

@SirFoxy said:

@stefeman said:

@SirFoxy said:

CS:S/CS:GO Zombie escape servers take quite a lot of resources at 64 slots, especially with additional mods.

Vanilla L4D2 server takes nothing, but try to run heavily modded 24-32 slots coop/versus with close to 2000 entities and hundreds of zombies. Source engine is very unoptimized unfortunately, so you need a dedicated core and few gigs of RAM at least.

Not neccessarily a dedi, but many providers would suspend you due to CPU being close to or at 100% 24/7 on more popular servers.

I mean the entire point I was making is just focused on a high clock cpu that's dedicated and that's the majority of the battle.

• @SirFoxy said:

Yeah, I have been doing a bit on research and source games are not really intensive, unless you throw everything at it, which won't happen.

• acidpukeacidpuke Member
    edited August 2019

High clock rate is key with GoldSrc and Source games as they are primary single threaded.

Memory 100-200 mb for GoldSrc ..512 mb to 1 gb for Source games this is for 32 player and under

Started running dedicated half life deathmatch servers shortly after half life came out Nov 1998 on a Pentium 233 mmx... Getting the Voodoo 3dfx 4meg addon card was the ticket back then.

Look at your upstream connections (network provider) and location as latency is a big part of the game experience. If your on a shit network its not going matter if you have the ultimate best highest clocked server.

Running a game server on a VDS also adds additional layer of contention with the hypervisor on the node, I have always had the best experience on bare metal under a windows environment

Thanked by 2Ouji Laton
  • We can offer you HP DL120 G7 / 1x Intel Quad-Core Xeon E3-1230 - 4 cores - 3.20 Ghz / 16GB DDR3 RAM / 2x2TB SATA2 + 30TB of traffic over 1Gbps dedicated channel + any Linux based OS + 3IPv4. Price: 90 USD/month. Location: London, UK.

https://inxy.com/

Thanked by 1Laton