Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for constant backups with high bandwidth usage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for constant backups with high bandwidth usage

xyphos10xyphos10 Member
edited August 2019 in Requests

Hello, could anyone recommend me a vps with the following characteristics, I will mainly use it for constant file backups/online storage. I will be using rclone mount with gdrive backend. Thank you all of any assistance.

CPU: 1 or 2 vcpu
RAM: 2GB
Disk: 30GB SSD/HDD
Bandwidth: 10TB or unmetered with constant traffic going in and out
Budget: 4 - 7 USD a month, if not depending on offers I could increase my budget.

Comments

• Get a dedicated and forget the VPS.

• At 20TB per month on a 30gb disk you're gonna be overwriting your own disk just under 1000 times per month. Given that the 970 pro has a TBW of 1200TB on a 1TB ssd, that (pretty standard) ssd can take about 1000 overwrites. You'll basically have to rely on the ssds shifting your data around or youll be killing an ssd a month.

Thanked by 3AuroraZ ITLabs uptime
  • imokimok Member

Fixing this for you:

CPU: 2 vCPU
    RAM: 2GB
    Disk: 30GB SSD or more
    Bandwidth: 20 TB with constant traffic going in and out
    Budget: 20 USD/month

• @teamacc said:
    At 20TB per month on a 30gb disk you're gonna be overwriting your own disk just under 1000 times per month. Given that the 970 pro has a TBW of 1200TB on a 1TB ssd, that (pretty standard) ssd can take about 1000 overwrites. You'll basically have to rely on the ssds shifting your data around or youll be killing an ssd a month.

That is why I told him get a dedi and forget the VPS. I doubt his provider or neighbors would appreciate having to eat an ssd a month, let alone the downtime to fix it.

• @AuroraZ said:

@teamacc said:
    At 20TB per month on a 30gb disk you're gonna be overwriting your own disk just under 1000 times per month. Given that the 970 pro has a TBW of 1200TB on a 1TB ssd, that (pretty standard) ssd can take about 1000 overwrites. You'll basically have to rely on the ssds shifting your data around or youll be killing an ssd a month.

That is why I told him get a dedi and forget the VPS. I doubt his provider or neighbors would appreciate having to eat an ssd a month, let alone the downtime to fix it.

To be fair, if all of his neighbours are not using the ssd that much, a 970 pro will last 30+ months before any caching.

That being said, a 970 pro costs 300 usd, so the vps pricing should reflect that (tl;dr 10 usd/month on ssd costs alone)

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • xyphos10xyphos10 Member
    edited August 2019

Okay, actual usage will not be 20TB, I am not too sure what to place but my usage would be having a up and down constant stream of about 5 - 20 Mbps

• @AuroraZ said:
    Get a dedicated and forget the VPS.

Okay if I go the dedicated route, from which provider and what is the price?

• @xyphos10 said:

@AuroraZ said:

ReliableSite @MrRadic have dedis with 150TB bandwidth starting at $30.

Thanked by 2AuroraZ MrRadic
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

How about 12 usd for 100mbps unmetered dedicated server?

• Definitely go dedicated.

• OujiOuji Member

drserver said: How about 12 usd for 100mbps unmetered dedicated server?

Everything is out of stuck it seems.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Get a Slice and a Slab.

Slice - https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices/
    Slab - https://buyvm.net/block-storage-slabs/

Have the backups go to the Slab since it'll handle the writing endurance much better.

Francisco

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

@Ouji said: Everything is out of stuck it seems.

Please open a sales ticket. We always have some spare stock.
    Regards

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@ITLabs said:

@xyphos10 said:

@AuroraZ said:

ReliableSite @MrRadic have dedis with 150TB bandwidth starting at $30.

Thanks for the mention! All of our servers include dedicated 1 Gbps ports.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • rsync_dot_netrsync_dot_net Member, Host Rep

@xyphos10 said:
    Hello, could anyone recommend me a vps with the following characteristics, I will mainly use it for constant file backups/online storage. I will be using rclone mount with gdrive backend. Thank you all of any assistance.

Disk: 30GB SSD/HDD
    Bandwidth: 10TB or unmetered with constant traffic going in and out
    Budget: 4 - 7 USD a month, if not depending on offers I could increase my budget.

Forgive me - I don't understand ... if the target is mostly for backup/storage, my assumption would be (relatively) high storage specs and (relatively) low transfer specs.

Such as, a 10TB storage spec and, say, 10TB of traffic per month.

How does the combination of a (tiny) 30GB storage spec and 10TB of traffic to burn up make sense for a backup workload ?

Genuinely curious ...

• @rsync_dot_net said:

How does the combination of a (tiny) 30GB storage spec and 10TB of traffic to burn up make sense for a backup workload ?

The vps is the mule. GDRIVE is the target probably.

Thanked by 2Falzo rsync_dot_net
  • rsync_dot_netrsync_dot_net Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

@vimalware said:

The vps is the mule. GDRIVE is the target probably.

Hmmm... I knew this rclone thing was going to be a big deal.

Looking at his requested specs, it seems to me that CPU/RAM could really be anything - unless he is transcoding or doing weird processing he really just needs enough horsepower to run rclone and ssh, correct ?

And am I correct that the reason he wants this third party "mule" involved is because his own connectivity to gdrive (or wherever) is bad, but he could connect quickly to this "closest location to Guatemala" ?

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

Why not getting our LET offer
    it has unlimited 100mbps port where you can push the 10tb with no issues
    and it has plenty of storage

Big Storage LET Special X3
    1.5TB disk space
    1GB RAM
    1 CPU core dedicated
    unlimited transfer
    100mbps vps port
    1x IPv4
    IPv6 available by request
    $7$/month

https://servarica.com/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=404

also check our SSD plans our first SSD plan comes with unlimited traffic and 2GB memory for 7$ as well but has only 20GB disk not 30GB
    https://servarica.com/ssd-offers/

• Thank you guys for all the recommendations, I have found a provider, @StockServers, and I am happy with the service.

Thanked by 1Ouji