Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox difference between bridged and routed network setup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox difference between bridged and routed network setup

gdarkogdarko Member
edited August 2019 in Help

Hello,

I have a dedicated from hetzner and one additional ip (two in total). I want to utilize those IPs on two different KVM VMs (for example one ip for specific KVM VM but also the same ip to be used on other VM of choice) and also want to make it easy to add additional ip addresses in future

I was following this guide from hetzner but it's not very detailed.

https://community.hetzner.com/tutorials/install-and-configure-proxmox_ve?title=Proxmox_VE/en

What should i choose, bridged or routed network setup for my use case?

Thanks.

Comments

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

in case you are using kvm you need to go with bridged network

in case you use nat ip, you need to go ahead with routed network

in case your provider allocates you a routed ip, you need to use a routed network setup

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • with a single additional IP from hetzner you need to use a bridged setup and assign a virtual mac to that IP.

the main IP you can't attach directly to a VM anyway, as this is needed for the hostnode itself. so for two guests that can fully use their own IPv4 better already get another addon IP.

of course you can use an additional NAT-bridge instead and assign private IPs to guest VMs and forward ports from the main IP as needed.
    though you can give away port 80/443 etc. only for one guest with that. if you want to handle mutliple guests using the same ports you need a proxy solution on the hostnode etc.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Falzo said:
    with a single additional IP from hetzner you need to use a bridged setup and assign a virtual mac to that IP.

the main IP you can't attach directly to a VM anyway, as this is needed for the hostnode itself. so for two guests that can fully use their own IPv4 better already get another addon IP.

of course you can use an additional NAT-bridge instead and assign private IPs to guest VMs and forward ports from the main IP as needed.
    though you can give away port 80/443 etc. only for one guest with that. if you want to handle mutliple guests using the same ports you need a proxy solution on the hostnode etc.

Not being mean, but do you think he actually understood 1/4 of what you posted?

• @AuroraZ said:

@Falzo said:
    with a single additional IP from hetzner you need to use a bridged setup and assign a virtual mac to that IP.

nö 😁

but maybe he can google and learn if he's really interested.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
    edited August 2019

@Falzo said:

@AuroraZ said:

@Falzo said:

nö 😁

but maybe he can google and learn if he's really interested.

Always the optimist, if he knew GoogleFu he would not have posted here.

edit: wrote wrong word while I was trying to open a beer, think I need an intervention yet?

• gdarkogdarko Member
    edited August 2019

Thanks, i understand. I decided to create a nginx proxy vm and use it in combination with other vms that need port 80 exposed. Maintenance of multiple IP setup looks time consuming for me.