Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin DNS cluster on separate dns only servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin DNS cluster on separate dns only servers

ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Hello!
Due to the recent pricing change we decided to go with Directadmin instead of cPanel

But we have some issue to fixed before we take any decision

In cPanel we have 1 main master server where the account host and 2 dns only server for nameservers

But In Directadmin I can't see any tutorial or license information for dns only.

So if anyone know about Directadmin DNS only license or tutorial to make DNS clustering using 2 separate server, then please help us to understand why it will works..

Thanked by 1DA_Mark

Comments

• They supposedly have a DNS license to launch this year (can't remember where I read it, but I do remember it's coming).

If you have normal licenses, you can setup a DNS cluster through the Multi-Server Setup module in the admin area.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@definitelyliam said:
    If you have normal licenses, you can setup a DNS cluster through the Multi-Server Setup module in the admin area.

But to do that we need not install directadmin on those servers too.. Right?
    Then what's the licensing for this?
    If there's no dns only license separately then do we need to pay for those dns servers as well like the main server license?

I am talking about the same like cPanel..

• There's DirectSlave, but I don't have any experience with it: https://directslave.com/, forum post at https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=54992

@Daniel15 said:
    There's DirectSlave, but I don't have any experience with it: https://directslave.com/, forum post at https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=54992

Yup! just found them from Directadmin forum.
    They are maybe good but it's a free software..
    And I am looking for an official solutions from Directadmin itself like cPanel did..

Offical will be more trusted instead of other freebies

We don't want to get pain in future..

We want solution which is tested and currently using by any of provider here

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited August 2019

ViridWeb said: They are maybe good but it's a free software..

I mean, the DNS software you're using is probably also free and open source (whether it be BIND9, PowerDNS, nsd, whatever :tongue:

Thanked by 2BlaZe kkrajk
  • Directadmin has not got an official DNS only product yet. It is in the pipeline. In the meantime if you don’t want to use the directslave option you can install DA on ns1 and ns2 and use the multi server option. The cheapest way would be to get a server from a provider who offers a free DA licence like BuyVM, Inception Hosting or HostDoc

@LeonDynamic said:
    Directadmin has not got an official DNS only product yet. It is in the pipeline. In the meantime if you don’t want to use the directslave option you can install DA on ns1 and ns2 and use the multi server option. The cheapest way would be to get a server from a provider who offers a free DA licence like BuyVM, Inception Hosting or HostDoc

I think this option is far more better..
    But I need a tutorial also to do that as I am not use to with Directadmin
    So if there any tutorial about multiserver dns hosting it will better

• If you go to the DA forum or use google with search term DirectAdmin at the end you will find plenty of tutorials already written about DNS. That’s how I learnt how to do it.

I setup my DA servers with 4 clustered DNS using the multi server option. Turned off named on the master servers as not needed. It works well and not had any issues yet.

If you are coming from cPanel and are new to DA I would say grab a test VM somewhere and practice using it. Grab one from any of those 3 providers I mentioned earlier, highly recommend them.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

LeonDynamic said: The cheapest way would be to get a server from a provider who offers a free DA licence like BuyVM,

Yep, works great.

I do exactly this for my own DNS cluster for our DirectAdmin resellers.

Francisco

• The 'multi-server dns clustering' option works great, only one key note:

It will not be automatically enabled for old domains, you'll need to notify named and rsync the .db files over to the other (second or trietary) nameserver. It will work out of the box for newly created domains though.

Also, i found this: https://directslave.com/

I never tested this but seems interesting

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

FoxelVox said: It will not be automatically enabled for old domains, you'll need to notify named and rsync the .db files over to the other (second or trietary) nameserver. It will work out of the box for newly created domains though.

Yep, but there's a task you can issue that does that :)

It syncs very fast.

Francisco

• FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited August 2019

@Francisco said:

FoxelVox said: It will not be automatically enabled for old domains, you'll need to notify named and rsync the .db files over to the other (second or trietary) nameserver. It will work out of the box for newly created domains though.

Yep, but there's a task you can issue that does that :)

It syncs very fast.

Francisco

echo "action=rewrite&value=named" >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue

Ya mean this one franny? @Francisco

Thanked by 2Francisco MichaelCee
  • Personal advice, Don't put it into production until you figured everything out and feel comfortable with DA, it's not always point and click with DA like cPanel, iv been testing/learning it for some time now and only feel now I could use it for clients.

Thanked by 2ViridWeb MichaelCee

@Bopie said:
    Personal advice, Don't put it into production until you figured everything out and feel comfortable with DA, it's not always point and click with DA like cPanel, iv been testing/learning it for some time now and only feel now I could use it for clients.

Yes you are right.. It's always better to test before starting production use otherwise there will be a destruction for sure..

Till then I will stick with cPanel. The pricing issue is not a problem with us. So cPanel will be best option for us.

Just we can't post our shared hosting here in LET

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Just get a VPs from buyshared / buyvm that has free DA license and link the servers.... very easy to do....

Thanked by 1ViridWeb

@experttechit said:
    Just get a VPs from buyshared / buyvm that has free DA license and link the servers.... very easy to do....

Definitely we will try to do things that way..
    But right now we will test for months before launch Production use.
    Because it's better to test first before things slips out of our hands and cause pain for our clients..

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited August 2019

experttechit said: Just get a VPs from buyshared / buyvm that has free DA license and link the servers

BuyVM is a good idea... If you get a VPS in all three of their regions (Las Vegas, New York and Luxembourg), you could use their free Anycast functionality to route people to the closest server to them. I'm doing that for my DNS and it's working great.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • One thing not mentioned on our pricing page is that the Personal ($2/mo) license is domain-unlocked (unlimited) for DNS clustering purposes.

Or, for a couple bucks more, support the guys on here offering DA with a VPS and get the best of both.

Thanked by 1FHR