Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Splitting bandwidth between IP addresses
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Splitting bandwidth between IP addresses

I was performing a speedtest-cli on a new dedicated server(not being used yet) and i notice that the download speed is capping at 3Gbit/sec and upload is at 1.8Gbit/sec on a 10Gbps port speed.

The reply of the technical support is as follows

we noticed that there is a /27 IP range configured on the 10G interface of the server, which means that the traffic/bandwidth/speed is divided among all the 29 usable IPs of the /27 IP range.

Isn't is supposed to be that every IP should be able to saturate the port provided other IPs are not using the server and that the host i am downloading from is capable of providing that kind of network?

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

I can not stop laughing at that support response.

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited August 2019

Run away. Support is increasingly stupid and has no clue what they're talking about.

Edit: please name the provider with such monkeys on their support desk.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited August 2019

lol what even is that support response

I love how they say it's "divided among all the 29 usable IPs of the /27 IP range". Really? Including IPs that aren't even being used?

Most servers also have a /64 IPv6 range, which has 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 usable addresses in it. Going by that same logic, a single IPv6 address can only use 1/18446744073709551616 of the bandwidth, which for a 10Gbps port is around 1 byte every 5000 years.

Genius.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2019

Sounds like a response from a cheap outsource team that really doesn't care. I really can't see a dc/server provider actually responding with that.

Thanked by 1khav
  • khavkhav Member

@WilliamProfuse

Can you take a look at that ticket as it seems its not going anywhere with the tech support

• khavkhav Member

@Daniel15 said:
    lol what even is that support response

I love how they say it's "divided among all the 29 usable IPs of the /27 IP range". Really? Including IPs that aren't even being used?

Most servers also have a /64 IPv6 range, which has 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 usable addresses in it. Going by that same logic, a single IPv6 address can only use 1/18446744073709551616 of the bandwidth, which for a 10Gbps port is around 1 byte every 5000 years.

Genius.

It gets better lol

For ensuring that all the IP's re capable to reach up to 10g speed you need to take down all other IP's expect the 1 IP for which you are trying to check the speed.

However, in this case, there will be a downtime for all other IP's.

edited August 2019

@khav said:
    It gets better lol

For ensuring that all the IP's re capable to reach up to 10g speed you need to take down all other IP's expect the 1 IP for which you are trying to check the speed.

Yeah, Psychz definitely has an outsource team doing low level support, the actual Psychz employees are always helpful though.. It's always been this way. I never have to ask for much except rdns changes now days.

• khavkhav Member

@MikeA said:

@khav said:
    It gets better lol

Yeah, Psychz definitely has an outsource team doing low level support, the actual Psychz employees are always helpful though.. It's always been this way. I never have to ask for much except rdns changes now days.

I am hoping to get an actual Psychz employee , that's why i tag William

@khav said:

@MikeA said:

@khav said:
    It gets better lol

Well, it's unlikely they can help either for your "issue". You can't really expect to get 10Gbps on a speedtest.net server running speedtest-cli.. Run some iperf tests to some servers in the same region or something. You're not going to saturate a 10Gbps port on a speedtest server, the most I've gotten on the public servers is like 3Gbps (which is what you say you got.)

• khavkhav Member

@MikeA said:

@khav said:

@MikeA said:

@khav said:
    It gets better lol

Well, it's unlikely they can help either for your "issue". You can't really expect to get 10Gbps on a speedtest.net server running speedtest-cli.. Run some iperf tests to some servers in the same region or something. You're not going to saturate a 10Gbps port on a speedtest server, the most I've gotten on the public servers is like 3Gbps (which is what you say you got.)

Psychz only provide a 200MB test file, let alone iperf test.Given the level of the support , it seems pointless to ask them to the iperf so maybe a psychz employee could help here

• Where is your server, I could fire up a iperf in NYC to let you test just drop me a dm or even better Skype or discord me.

Thanked by 1khav
  • How about ram, are they divide

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Might be worth trying another speedtest server,

./speedtest-cli --list | grep "your_location"

Then use the ID value that comes up in the output,

./speedtest-cli --server server_id

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

@SpeedBus said:

I'm sure you're already aware there's zero point in trying speedtest-cli on a 10g server.

It's really more intended for residential connection testing, generally. Iperf or aria2c on a known unsaturated 10+g server is the way to test this.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

@jackb said:

@SpeedBus said:

I'm sure you're already aware there's zero point in trying speedtest-cli on a 10g server.

It's really more intended for residential connection testing, generally. Iperf or aria2c on a known unsaturated 10+g server is the way to test this.

oh yep, that's true for sure, I guess some (most?) speedtest servers are on 1Gbit aswell which could give a wrong idea as well

https://support.ookla.com/hc/en-us/articles/234578628-Speedtest-Server-Requirements

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

It's nearly impossible to saturate a 10Gbit/s port with a single-threaded download. And speedtest.net is vastly inaccurate when measuring big port speeds.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

we noticed that there is a /27 IP range configured on the 10G interface of the server, which means that the traffic/bandwidth/speed is divided among all the 29 usable IPs of the /27 IP range.

This summarizes my experience with Psychz fairly well. Outage after outage making simple network changes.

• @khav said:
    I am hoping to get an actual Psychz employee